[sci.electronics] Sony D-5 CD Player

agb@i.cc.purdue.edu (Sam Habegger) (08/23/88)

My brother dropped his Sony D-5 CD player and sent it to Sony for repair.
He didn't want to pay the $100.00 to "fix the bad motor" so he gave it
to me to look at.

I removed a broken tooth from a laser tracking device gear and put it
back together.  Now the laser tracks without jaming, the disk spins
but the display continuously counts from 0 - 9 on all six characters
of the track and time display as if it's in some self diagnostic mode.

Is it possible Sony repair left it in a diagnostic mode and if so can
anyone tell me how to put it back in play mode?

Thanks

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/25/88)

In article <2826@i.cc.purdue.edu> agb@i.cc.purdue.edu (Sam Habegger) writes:
>My brother dropped his Sony D-5 CD player and sent it to Sony for repair.
[....]

>the display continuously counts from 0 - 9 on all six characters
>of the track and time display as if it's in some self diagnostic mode.
>
>Is it possible Sony repair left it in a diagnostic mode and if so can
>anyone tell me how to put it back in play mode?

Since there are lots of D-5 owners out there, I'm posting this:

Yes, it is in service mode.  Take the bottom off the player by removing
4 screws.  Place it on the table inverted (top surface down), with
the display and keys to your left.

Find the largest IC in the right (i.e. away from the display) half of
the player.  If you have an old model, there may be a daughter board
partially covering it.

Starting from the lower right corner of this IC, move left along its
lower edge counting pins.  Find the 9th pin from the right.
Follow the foil from this pin, and you will find that it comes to
an enlarged "test pad" area a fraction of an inch below the IC.
Further, there will be a jumper soldered between this pad and an adjacent
ground pad.  Very carefully unsolder this jumper.  You have now returned
the player to normal mode, and can put it back together.

Before disabling service mode, you might want to try using the forward
and reverse search keys to move the optical pickup through its full
range, to make sure it still runs smoothly even though it has
a broken gear tooth.

william@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk (08/31/88)

>Since there are lots of D-5 owners out there, I'm posting this:
>
>Yes, it is in service mode.  Take the bottom off the player by removing
>4 screws.  Place it on the table inverted (top surface down), with
>the display and keys to your left.
>>
>Find the largest IC in the right (i.e. away from the display) half of
>range, to make sure it still runs smoothly even though it has
>a broken gear tooth.

This has got to be the best posting yet to demo the usefulness of
USENET.  Where the hell else could you get information like this?
Congrats.

			... Bill

PS: The answer to the puzzle in last week's signature was "God, in his
last message to the creation".  An Italian film-director is not sufficient.
Nor is "A Douglas Adams character".

Bill Witts, CS Dept.     *    Nel Mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
UCL, London, Errrp       *    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
william@uk.ac.ucl.cs(UK) *    che la diritta via era smarrita.