[sci.electronics] 8051 - 8751

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (08/28/88)

I have been trying to get some information
from Intel on price and availabiligty of
one time programable 8051's ( the windowless
eprom plastic part.  I know they exist! but Intel's
sales office in Toronto doesn't.  Five phone
calls to the head office in California has
also failed to give results (no one calls back).
Stories I have been told by Intel in Toronto are:
	8751's are $80 each, $40 in quantity 1000
	masked rom 8051's are $3.00 each but
you need a minimum oreder of 2000 and there is a
$3000 setup charge.
	The windowless eprom part that is one time
programable doesn't exist but if it did it would
be only about $5.00 cheaper than a 8751\ because
plastic is not much cheaper than ceramic etc. etc..

We all know that Intel uses the one time programable part
when you order masked rom 8051's  - there
is no way they would make a new die to
spec for each oreder.
So - my question is  - where can I get
hold of 590-1000 otp 8051's .  I don't need
2000 chips and can't afford to get then
"masked"\ by Intel.
Thanks in advance
/leonard

In article <1988Aug27.180524.1964@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) writes:
>We all know that Intel uses the one time programable part
>when you order masked rom 8051's  - there
>is no way they would make a new die to
>spec for each oreder.

Au contraire, this is precisely why the large setup charge and minimum order.
They don't redesign the thing, of course, but they do pump your ROM data
into a program that generates a custom mask for one layer [I think it's
only one] of the ROM part of the chip.  That's why it's called "masked ROM".

I'm not sure what the situation is on the Intel side of the fence, but it
is reported that when you buy "ROMless" one-chip micros from Motorola, you
are probably getting masked-ROM parts which turned out to have defects in
the ROM area.

>[Intel says]	The windowless eprom part that is one time
>programable doesn't exist but if it did it would
>be only about $5.00 cheaper than a 8751\ because
>plastic is not much cheaper than ceramic etc. etc..

That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is true that on-chip EPROMs
are quite a bit harder to make than on-chip ROMs.  (Witness the way some
companies make "EPROM" versions of their parts that are just ROMless ones
with a piggyback EPROM socket.)
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

spp@zabriskie.uucp (Steve Pope) (08/29/88)

In article <1988Aug27.180524.1964@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) writes:
>I have been trying to get some information
>from Intel on price and availabiligty of
>one time programable 8051's ( the windowless
>eprom plastic part.  I know they exist! but Intel's
>sales office in Toronto doesn't.  Five phone
>calls to the head office in California has
>also failed to give results (no one calls back).
>Stories I have been told by Intel in Toronto are:
>	8751's are $80 each, $40 in quantity 1000
>	masked rom 8051's are $3.00 each but
>you need a minimum oreder of 2000 and there is a
>$3000 setup charge.

Consider using the 80C31 (available in 44-lead chip carrier), an
external ROM, plus address latch (a 373).  The 80C31 is I think about
$7 in the quantities you are talking about.

steve pope   ...ucbvax!spp

rob@lucifer.UUCP ( 237) (08/31/88)

In article <1988Aug28.002342.16425@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>They don't redesign the thing, of course, but they do pump your ROM data
>into a program that generates a custom mask for one layer [I think it's
>only one] of the ROM part of the chip.  That's why it's called "masked ROM".

Yes it is only one.  The 2000 piece minimum order sounds like a bargain;  for
"mature" processors (like 8051, 8048, 6801, etc.) the minimum order quantities
are rising because of the better yields being achieved and thus the lower unit
cost.

>it is reported that when you buy "ROMless" one-chip micros from Motorola, you
>are probably getting masked-ROM parts which turned out to have defects in
>the ROM area.

I heard this too but was informed that this poses a problem:  how do you ensure
that enough masked parts have defective ROMs to meet demand? :-)

>>[Intel says]	The windowless eprom part ... is only about $5.00 cheaper
>>... because plastic is not much cheaper than ceramic etc. etc..
>
>it is true that on-chip EPROMs
>are quite a bit harder to make than on-chip ROMs.

Not quite.  EPROM parts are more expensive in terms of chip area and
packaging required (ceramic or cerdip packages are not cheap) and they pose
design problems: how do you ensure complete emulation of the masked parts
AND add the extra circuitry to allow programming?  When first introduced
EPROMs were treated as a (low volume) necessary evil by the chip manufacturers
as a route to selling more ROMs.  Now of course some users never reach the
masked ROM stage and EPROMs are 'respectable'.  As to OTPs, well, the
difficulty here is testing; EPROMs are normally tested by programming test
patterns and then erasing before delivery which would not be very useful :-)
One method which (I think) is used is to have a small area of extra EPROM
which can be programmed as a test.  Of course all this costs money hence the
price.  Mind you, it doesn't cost THAT much; someone somewhere is making a
large profit thank you very much! :-)

Rob Clive.					UUCP:	mcvax!ukc!lucifer!rob
Lucas Diesel Systems, Cirencester	 Most others:	rob%lucifer@ukc.ac.uk
Gloucestershire, GL7 1QG, UK.				      Now read on....