[sci.electronics] To build a cheap RF location tracker?

joe@sybase.sybase.com (Joseph Weinstein) (09/01/88)

Hi.  I have an need for a position tracking device, for an
area no bigger than 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile. I imagine a triangulated
set of receivers and one sender moving in the immediate area.
I'd like to be able to plot the position of the sender to within
1 foot, every tenth of a second. How easily can this be done?
I expect to know the relative positions of the receivers very
accurately so that in principal, the distance from the sender
to each receiver would be all that was necessary. Can a reasonable
receiver differentiate between signal strengths sufficiently to
cover a range from 10 ft. to 1500 ft. to within a foot? And with
legal private radio signal strengths? thanx.
--
Joseph Weinstein					Sybase, Inc.
                      					6475 Christie Avenue

logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) (09/02/88)

Joseph Weinstein writes:
> I have an need for a position tracking device, for an
> area no bigger than 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile.

Personally I would go with ultrasonic pulses -- and use the
arrival time difference at several sites to compute location.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
- {...rutgers!dayton, ...amdahl!ems, ...uunet!rosevax!mmm} !viper!ns!logajan -

richm@amc.UUCP (Rich Moran) (09/09/88)

In article <804@ns.UUCP> logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) writes:
>Joseph Weinstein writes:
>> I have an need for a position tracking device, for an
>> area no bigger than 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile.
>
>Personally I would go with ultrasonic pulses -- and use the
>arrival time difference at several sites to compute location.

Since the speed of sound varies with temperature, humidity and
movement within the medium (wind), the ultrasonic method can have
some problems.  The temp and humidity problems can be nulled
by having a reference distance which is measured along with the
targets, but wind is a toughie.