[sci.electronics] FFT processor

eyckmans@esat2.kulesat.uucp (09/08/88)

	Hello,

	I am looking for a kind of FFT processor. Everybody I ask, tells me
that there exists a chip with the FFT algorithm build in in hardware, but
nobody knows which company sells them or where to get info. My last hope is
the net.
	I am working on a data-acquisition system build around an 8 bit micro-
controller. On the collected data, an FFT should be executed but the microcon-
troller is not fast enough to do this. So what I want is a chip to which I pass
all of the data and it should give me back the frequency contents of the sampled
signal.
	I hope somebody out there knows a company or part number or magazine
where I can get information.
		Thanks
P.S.:Hope I didn't make too much mistakes against the english language.

david@mplvax.nosc.MIL (David Almagor) (09/11/88)

In article <195@esat2.kulesat.uucp>, eyckmans@esat2.kulesat.uucp writes:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	I am looking for a kind of FFT processor. Everybody I ask, tells me
> that there exists a chip with the FFT algorithm build in in hardware, but
> nobody knows which company sells them or where to get info. My last hope is
> the net.
> 	I am working on a data-acquisition system build around an 8 bit micro-
> controller. On the collected data, an FFT should be executed but the microcon-
> troller is not fast enough to do this. So what I want is a chip to which I pass
> all of the data and it should give me back the frequency contents of the sampled
> signal.
> 	I hope somebody out there knows a company or part number or magazine
> where I can get information.
> 		Thanks
> P.S.:Hope I didn't make too much mistakes against the english language.

OK, I goofed the first time - I didn't include the original article,
hope this one's better:

There are a bunch of companies nowadays which have general purpose
DSP processors to do this job, and canned routines that you can use,
and this probably is your cheapest solution. A few of them are:

TI: TMS32010 - the basic one, will do this job probably.
Analog Devices: ADSP2100
Motorola: 56000
AT&T: DSP32

Another way to go is the one you are considering. I think it is more
expensive, but one would have to look at the required speeds and
dynamic ranges required. One company that comes to mind is :
Zoran Inc. out of somewhere in silicone vally - they make FFT chips.

Hope this helps, David.

--
David Almagor          | Phone 619-534-1813           |
The Marine Physical lab| or:   619-442-3451 ext. 3173 |

raj@bu-cs.BU.EDU (S Rajagoalan) (09/13/88)

NEC has a chip with a number like 77230 (approx) which is a chip for DSP applns
with on chip FFT routines and complete floating point computations. I worked on
it last summer and I found it quite fast.

Raj