[sci.electronics] I Can't copy an EPROM... Help!

tac@sei.cmu.edu (Timothy Coddington) (09/16/88)

I'm trying to copy a set of debug ROMs (Part # Motorola 133ABUG) and I've
had no success.  Is there something I've missed?

The ROMs are for a single board computer (Motorola MVME133A-20).  This is
how I judge success/failure: if I remove the ROMs, copy them, install the copied
version in the board and it doesn't go into halt state and I get the debugger
prompt, then I've succeeded.  Otherwise, something went wrong.

The originals have the following part number: Fairchild MBM27C512-20

I've tried copying to both of the following parts without success:

		Toshiba TMM27512D-20
		and
		NEC D27C512D-15        both pgm @12.5V

I'm using the following programmer:  Data I/O 201.  I know the Toshiba part
has been successfully programmed with downloaded data before.  This is the
first time I've tried to do anything with the NEC part on this programmer.

Yes I do have permission to copy these chips!!

When the data is "L"oaded off the original I get a checksum.  After I've
"P"rogrammed the blank (which I've checked to make sure is blanked) I get
the same checksum result.

Since the exact device setups are not available in the programmer for any
of the above parts I've tried the only two *512 device setups available.
Data I/O didn't promise anything when I called them, but they did say which
one should work (remember the toshiba part has been programmed before).

Is there something I've missed.  It seems like the copy goes OK, but the
board doesn't boot!  Is there something about the way some ROMs are
programmed that prevents them from being copied?  Has someone run into this
problems before?  suggestions?

HELP!!
    HELP!!

    Tim Coddington  Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie-Mellon Univ.

    Arpa: tac@sei.cmu.edu     412-268-7712  (h) 244-8557

    Thanks for taking the time!

berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) (09/16/88)

Have you compared timing diagrams?

John Berryhill

jim@trsvax.UUCP (09/16/88)

There are a few lines that the EPROM might be expexting programming/select
signals on that the ROM  socket does not provide (or provides the wrong
voltage level or signal). I know it's vague, but it has bitten me before.

paul@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) (09/17/88)

In article <4088@louie.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) writes:

 >Have you compared timing diagrams?
 >
 >John Berryhill

The timing diagrams don't always tell the complete story
(or the true story!).  Different manufacturers' EPROMs will
not always act the same, even though the spec sheets
say they should.  One common difference is in the order
of the falling of /OE with respect to /CE.  Some EPROMs will
not output the data if /OE falls before /CE; others
will not function properly if /CE is held low between
address changes.  Some EPROMs will work in all cases.

All EPROMs work if the part is completely disabled between
address changes; i.e. /CE and /OE are high at this time.
/CE must then fall, followed by /OE.  Read the part.
raise /OE, then /CE.  Move to the next address.

In your case, you should probably try to find another
EPROM made by the same manufacturer as the original.  The
programmer is writing the EPROM correctly; it's your
system that can't read it.

Paul

--
Paul Brownlow			Data I/O - FutureNet	Redmond, WA
..uw-beaver!uw-entropy!dataio!paul

"It's my snake!  I trained him, I'm gonna eat him!"

rowley@inuxa.UUCP (David Rowley) (09/18/88)

> I'm trying to copy a set of debug ROMs (Part # Motorola 133ABUG) and I've
> had no success.  Is there something I've missed?

I know on an apple computer although the ROM's are pin for pin compatible
with a 2716 there is one small difference:  one of the chip enable lines
has been inverted.  If you read the fine print of a data manual you will
find this is an option: the polartity of the chip select lines.

So.... maybe your lines are also inverted.

But then again it seems if this were true you would have trouble copying
the data to the EPROM programmmer.

markw@hpsal2.HP.COM (Mark Williams) (09/20/88)

The part number for the master EPROM (MBM27C512) is a Fujitsu P/N, not
Fairchild as the original poster stated.  Some Fujitsu EPROM's require
a different programming algorithm/voltages than the rest of the
industry parts; INTEL used to set a defacto standard, but Fujitsu
and others are evolving new cells.  Make sure you are using the right
part number/algorithm for reading the master EPROM.

jim@trsvax.UUCP (09/20/88)

>/* Written  4:03 pm  Sep 17, 1988 by inuxa.UUCP!rowley in trsvax:sci.electronics */
>> I'm trying to copy a set of debug ROMs (Part # Motorola 133ABUG) and I've
>> had no success.  Is there something I've missed?
>But then again it seems if this were true you would have trouble copying
>the data to the EPROM programmmer.

If the ROM was deselected wouldn't the data look like FF if the programmer
had pullups? (or at least constant). If that is the case, it should verify
just fine as it would still be deselected the next time.

Have you looked at the data in the EPROM ?.