[sci.electronics] Desperately seeking primaries -- Was: Looking for Blue LEDs

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (09/22/88)

>/ hpdml93:sci.electronics / aardvark@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Bill Gallagher) /  9:34 am  Sep 19, 1988 /

>I'm looking for a source for Blue LEDs.  I recall a discussion
>last year that proved such a thing exists, but didn't save the
>address where they could be bought.  Now I have a good use for
>them, and need alot of them.  MAIL me the address if you know
>it, but pointers to reputable, well-stocked supply houses would
>be appreciated, too.
I remember reading about them in the latest Radio-Electronics.  I will
have to recheck to get more exact information, but this might get you
started.
--
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (09/24/88)

Chris, sit down and grab some coffee, and lighten up -- I'm going to yank your
chain a bit later:

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> Christopher E. Piggott writes:

>Hmm ... The reason I thought they would be effecient (since I guess I am the
>one who started it) is because I read that GREEN LED's are less effecient
>than red ones are, significantly.  (I learned a neat lesson this week - if
>you're not sure, SHUT UP ... some advice from me to myself).

Sometimes, even when you're sure, it's still wrong!  Read on, please...

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

Green IS one of the primaries.  There are two sets of primaries,
(corresponding to the two ways of combining or processing colors), the
additive and subtractive.  Most of us are familiar with the subtractive set
from coloring in kindergarten, even though the teachers never told us the
correct names for the colors (art teachers generally know). Subtractive
pigments or dyes work by absorbing (or filtering) certain wavelengths from
incident or transmitted light and reflecting or passing the rest. When you
put red crayon on white paper, the pigment subtracts most of the colors from
the white light and reflects or transmits (depending on the thickness of the
layer) the red.  The primaries used in color printing and photograpy are
really non-spectral, i.e., they are rather broad bands of wavelengths (some
discontinuous) and are called magenta, yellow, and cyan. In fact, they are
also known by the wavelength bands (colors) missing as minus green, minus
blue, and minus red.  When all are applied to paper, the result is black
(although due to the imperfect nature of the dyes, real black ink is added
to get a true and denser black.  This is known as four-color printing,
although black is not strictly a color.

The additive primaries are red, green, and blue. All of them together
produce white light (remember, all of the subtractive primaries yield
black, or no light). These are the ones used in color TVs. These colors are
spectral, i.e., can be produced from narrow bands of radiation. It is your
eye/brain that "sees" white when stimulated by only three narrow frequency
bands of light. True "white" can be obtained this way or by including all
visible frequencies in the correct balance.

>Projection televisions work the same way ... is it possible to emit green,
>and blue 180 degrees out of phase with the blue component of the green, to
>cancel out the blue and the green and make yellow?  If not, how do you make
>yellow?

Now you can see that you "make" yellow by using only the red and green
components. (If red, green, and blue make white and blue is minus yellow,
then red + green = yellow.) Prove it to yourself -- turn off or block the
blue beam.  If you can obtain a magenta (minus-green) filter, look at your
RGB monitor with only the green signal present.  You will see (nearly)
nothing.  Phase means nothing here, as the radiation is not coherent.

I suggest getting one of the Kodak photography manuals where they describe
the four-color printing process. Also, for the true printing primaries,
check the hidden parts of the box flaps on packaged foods; the test bars are
sometimes visible. You will then see what magenta (erroneously called pink),
yellow, and cyan (erroneously called blue or bluish-green) look like.  I
also invite you to explore chromaticity diagrams -- sometimes you can find
them printed in color and with color phosphors plotted.

>Thanks, everyone; sorry about the gum-flapping, I'll know better next time.

I hope so! Now, don't EVER call green a combination of yellow and blue, O.K.?

Cheers,

Rich