[sci.electronics] PALASM availability

joelb@datacom.ee.ubc.ca (Joel Bisson) (09/17/88)

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
for free but I'll take anything.

Thx, Joel

--
Joel Bisson | Internet: joelb@datacom.ee.ubc.ca [128.189.102.19]

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (09/19/88)

Joel Bisson Writes:
>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
>type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
>for free but I'll take anything.
The MMI PAL data books contain (or used to contain) complete FORTRAN
sources for PALASM-20. Now all you have to do is type it in... :-)

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet

mikec@duster.UUCP (Michael Collins) (09/20/88)

In article <265@coho.UUCP> (Joel Bisson) writes:

>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
>type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
>for free but I'll take anything.

PALASM is available from AMD.  Call your local sales office.  There is
another package they can provide also, called PLPL.  They gave me a set
containing both packages a few months ago, but we buy a lot of PALs.  I
don't know what consideration the small-volume folks get.

>Thx, Joel
>--
>Joel Bisson | Internet: joelb@datacom.ee.ubc.ca [128.189.102.19]
>            |     UUCP: uunet!ubc-cs!ubc-datacom!joelb

Michael Collins
Motorola Microcomputer Division
Tempe, AZ

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (09/23/88)

in article <1286@duster.UUCP>, mikec@duster.UUCP (Michael Collins) says:

> In article <265@coho.UUCP> (Joel Bisson) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
>>type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
>>for free but I'll take anything.
>
> PALASM is available from AMD.  Call your local sales office.  There is
> another package they can provide also, called PLPL.  They gave me a set
> containing both packages a few months ago, but we buy a lot of PALs.  I
> don't know what consideration the small-volume folks get.

These people are some of the most wonderful people in the world!
I'm a small-volume person myself, and I asked for a sample kit of
some of their newer CMOS PALs, which I've never used before. Not
only did I get a kit with three UV-erasable, low power PALs, but I
also got a few pounds of data books as well.

Later, when I called back to acknowledge that I got them and to say
thanx, I asked about PALASM. I was told that I could get it, absolutely
free of charge, for a variety of systems. The UNIX version was a
magtape filled to the brim with Pascal (yuk!) source. The MS-DOS version
was a set of about eight or so disks and even more documentation. All
this was sent without any signed-in-blood contracts or obligations,
simply because I asked. What other company (other than Siliconix and
Motorola) does all that for their customers?

I only regret that I don't remember the names of the people who helped
me out with this; I'd love to give them some recognition for excellent
customer support. At any rate, with customer support like that, you
can be damn sure that they made another loyal customer out of me!

						Spookfully yours,
						Gene

						...!cmcl2!cooper!gene

PS:  No matter what it sounds like, I am NOT affiliated with either
	AMD/MMI, Siliconix, or Motorola in any way other than being
	a very satisfied customer. Oh, well...

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (09/23/88)

In article <265@coho.UUCP> joelb@datacom.ee.ubc.ca (Joel Bisson) writes:
>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
>type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
>for free but I'll take anything.

If you are interested in PALASM*, send me email. No promises, but I
will see what I can do. I am not acting as an official representative
of the company, I just want to help out my fellow engineers.

If you are interested in PAL* data books and application notes, I
believe you can call our toll free number (800) 538-8450 or
(408) 732-2400 and ask for our literature department at extension 42264.
Ask for the PAL Device Handbook, PID 10206A, and the PAL Device Data Book,
PID 10173A.  They used to be free.

* PAL and PALASM are registered trademarks of Monolithic Memories Inc.,
a wholly owned subsidiary of Advanced Micro Devices.

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (09/23/88)

In article <1286@duster.UUCP>, mikec@duster.UUCP (Michael Collins) writes:
> In article <265@coho.UUCP> (Joel Bisson) writes:
>
> >Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
..
> don't know what consideration the small-volume folks get.

Seems to me that not too long ago, AMD made a big splash about
starting up a PAL users group, and that joining up would be good, and
one to the good things would be a copy of some version of PALSAM. I
made what I thought at the time was the proper response.

I never heard another word, but have gotten three sets of their
massive data books (that in it self is GOOD) but nothing more about
users group etc....

There was an issue of Byte about two years back with a collection of
articles about designing with PALs, build a programmer etc.  I
phoned up their BB and down loaded the Fortran source for PALSAM, but
had zero sucess getting it to compile. I have no clue as to the dialect
of the fortran.

When I finaly couldn't wait any longer, I bought a GAL (Generic Array
Logic) programmer from PLT which included an adequate assembler.
--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

arthur@kolob.UUCP (Ron Arthur) (09/28/88)

in article <265@coho.UUCP>, joelb@datacom.ee.ubc.ca (Joel Bisson) says:

> Does anyone know how I can get a copy of PALASM or any other
> type of PAL design software.  It would be nice if I can get it
> for free but I'll take anything.

Call you local AMD representative.  They have PALASM software that runs under
DOS.  I just got a copy for the asking from ours.  It has got some neat
features in it too.

If you want something more, DATAIO corporation has ABLE.  I don't know much
about it except that it costs about $1745.  Call them too.

				Ron Arthur