[sci.electronics] Gel Cells

rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) (09/27/88)

  In article <725@cseg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:

#            <nicad vs. gel cell stuff deleted>
#
# We were very satisfied with them.  Radio Electronics published a nice
# article on how to build a gel-cel charger using a lm317 and some other
# stuff, and we built several of these and sold them to our customers!  Try it1

Anybody got the publication date for the R-E article mentioned here????

                                 Roger
    {ucbvax,ames,lll-crg,....}!lll-lcc!freedom!rzh
    or {ucbvax,ames,lll-crg,....}!lll-lcc!rzh
    or rzh%freedom.llnl.gov@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (10/02/88)

In article <1955@lll-lcc.llnl.gov>, rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:

> # We were very satisfied with them.  Radio Electronics published a nice
> # article on how to build a gel-cel charger using a lm317 and some other
> # stuff, and we built several of these and sold them to our customers!  Try it
>
> Anybody got the publication date for the R-E article mentioned here????
>
>                                  Roger

Well, I looked for the article in my archives :-), and I found it!
The date is July 1986, Radio Electronics, page 67. On a related note, the
address of the batteries I posted earlier is _NOT_ the place I got the
batteries (although they do have them), but I remembered that I got
the batteries from mouser electronics. Their phone # is 1-817-483-4422 (in
texas) or 1-619-449-2222 (in california). The relevant part number is:

12 volt battery 1.8 amp/hour   547-PS-1219   $19.90 (one price).

They have 14 different ratings of amp/hours, for 6 and 12 volt batteries.
There is a chance that my old place of employment would sell some of these
chargers, or the boards to build them on. The company name is :

   Weigh Systems Inc.
   501-751-7225

And the person to talk to is probably: Brian Espenschied.

Good luck!

    Greg Garner
    gmg@hcx.uucp
    501-442-4847

mckenney@talos.UUCP ( APL Consultant) (10/04/88)

In article <1955@lll-lcc.llnl.gov> rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger
Hanscom) asks about the availability of gel cells.

From the November, 1988 issue of Radio-Electronics, page 114, in
an ad placed by American Design Components:

	GEL CELL/LEAD ACID BATTERIES...
	6V @ 4.0AH  $7.95
	6V @ 9.5AH $14.95

Word of warning: the ad lead copy says that their stuff is
"either brand new or removed from equipment in excellent
condition".

Frank McKenney
Frank McKenney, President  | {uunet,rti}!talos!mckenney
McKenney Associates	   |
3464 Northview Place	   |   guest account - access
Richmond, Virginia 23225   |  provided as a courtesy by
USA     (804) 320-4887	   |     Philip Morris USA