[sci.electronics] speaking of LEDs

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (09/28/88)

Ok- now that blue LEDs are under control again...
   This past weekend I saw a product that had a very bright red LED lamp
in it.  The product literature reproduced (evidently) two of the charts
from the data sheet- one showing spectral frequency vs relative output
(peak @ 650 nm), the other showing luminosity vs. current - which was
spec'ed at 3000 millicandellas at 20 ma. forward current.  No other data
was given.  Physically, it was a T-1 package, nothing unusual.
   Now that is a very high-output LED.  Does anyone know who makes such
an item?  The fellow representing the product said he had to import them-
whatever that means.  But he would not tell me who made them.  Not being
a whiz on opto stuff, I hereby submit the matter to the collective con-
sciousness of the net.

--
Ray Berry						KB7HT
Seattle Silicon Corp., 3075 112th Ave NE.,  Bellevue WA 98004

skrentny@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (James Skrentny) (09/29/88)

In article <491@ole.UUCP>, ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>    This past weekend I saw a product that had a very bright red LED lamp
> in it.  The product literature reproduced (evidently) two of the charts
> from the data sheet- one showing spectral frequency vs relative output
> (peak @ 650 nm), the other showing luminosity vs. current - which was
> spec'ed at 3000 millicandellas at 20 ma. forward current.  No other data
> was given.  Physically, it was a T-1 package, nothing unusual.
>    Now that is a very high-output LED.  Does anyone know who makes such
> an item? ....

One manufacturer of "kilo-bright" LED's is AND, distributed by Newark. Note
that the angle of view is much restricted compared to standard LED's. Here
are some specs (Newark catalog 109, page 169):
		 red, clear T-1 3/4 package, theta = +/- 4 degrees
		 1000 mcd @ 20 ma, AND150AR, newark part 87F348, $2.55 ea
		 2000 mcd @ 20 ma, AND150BR, newark part 87F349, $2.73 ea
		 3000 mcd @ 20 ma, AND150CR, newark part 87F350, $5.50 ea
		 red, clear T-1 3/4 package, theta = +/- 20 degrees
		 300 mcd @ 20 ma, AND120AR, newark part 87F351, $2.55 ea
		 600 mcd @ 20 ma, AND120BR, newark part 87F352, $2.73 ea
		 900 mcd @ 20 ma, AND120CR, newark part 87F353, $5.50 ea
-jim
bo
--------
Jim Skrentny
University of Wisconsin
Computer Systems Lab

office 608-263-7463 (afternoons), home 608-251-5683

USENET:         ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!uwvax!skrentny
ARPA INTERNET:  skrentny@cs.wisc.edu

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (09/29/88)

In article <491@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
}Ok- now that blue LEDs are under control again...
}   This past weekend I saw a product that had a very bright red LED lamp
}in it.  The product literature reproduced (evidently) two of the charts
}from the data sheet- one showing spectral frequency vs relative output
}(peak @ 650 nm), the other showing luminosity vs. current - which was
}spec'ed at 3000 millicandellas at 20 ma. forward current.  No other data
}was given.  Physically, it was a T-1 package, nothing unusual.
}   Now that is a very high-output LED.  Does anyone know who makes such
}an item?  The fellow representing the product said he had to import them-
}whatever that means.  But he would not tell me who made them.  Not being
}a whiz on opto stuff, I hereby submit the matter to the collective con-
}sciousness of the net.

I suspect that the units were microcandelas.  Product literature people are
not that careful, as a usual thing.  Why don't you check with the mfgr.
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/30/88)

In article <491@ole.UUCP>, ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
> This past weekend I saw a product that had a very bright red LED lamp
> in it... 3000 millicandellas at 20 ma. forward current.  Physically,
> it was a T-1 package, nothing unusual.
> Now that is a very high-output LED.  Does anyone know who makes such
> an item? ....

I read about "high-brightness" LEDs from Japan in Modern Electronics
magazine a couple of years ago.  The author said that clusters of them
would eventually replace incandescent bulbs for car tail-lights.  It
was the April issue, so I didn't believe it!  :^)

The DIGI-KEY catalog has some 2000mcd LEDs for roughly $5.  I'm told
that these are the same as Radio Sh*ck 276-087 LEDs, which cost less
but are presently in short supply; your local RS may be able to
special-order them. (These are not to be confused with RS' other "high
brightness" LEDs, which are multiple chips in one package.)

Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells, will make enough light
to get out of the cave, for 24 hours.  Some cavers have clustered as
many as 9 LEDs.

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (09/30/88)

In article <491@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>This past weekend I saw a product that had a very bright red LED lamp in it.
..
>Does anyone know who makes such an item?

Hewlett Packard makes several extra bright LEDs.  They were offering them
free in a demo package a few months ago.  Check out a back issue of
Electronics or Electronic Design.  I got a couple and am very impressed.
They produce a very bright light at 20 ma current and are also great for
low current designs with normal light output.  I use one for a tail light
on my bicycle!
See HP for the specs.

F. Cook

cdl@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Carl Lowenstein) (09/30/88)

In article <7200014@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
>emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
>resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells, will make enough light
>to get out of the cave, for 24 hours.
>--
>Frank
>reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

Why not connect the two LEDs in series and use a smaller resistor.
Don't use the battery energy heating a resistor when you could be using
it to make LED light.

Answer of sorts to the question above:  the forward drop across the LED
is too great.  About 2 volts for green.  Revise the question:  How
about 3 alkaline cells and 2 LEDs.  Should be a better match to the
problem, at a 50% weight penalty.
--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}	!ucsd!mplvax!cdl

langston@repoman.uucp (Kevin Langston) (10/01/88)

In article <7200014@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I read about "high-brightness" LEDs from Japan in Modern Electronics
>magazine a couple of years ago.  The author said that clusters of them
>would eventually replace incandescent bulbs for car tail-lights.  It
>was the April issue, so I didn't believe it!  :^)
[stuff deleted]

>Frank
>reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

Well you can believe it! Next time you're stopped in traffic behind a
Nissan 300ZX, take a look at the center mounted tail light. You'll notice
that it is a slightly different color than the other tail-lights, a really
nice LED kinda red. And they are BRIGHT! Now if they'd only start turning
up in the salvage yards....

        _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/  From the virtual desk of:
                                                  Kevin Langston
     _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/    Convex Computer Corporation
    __/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/     701 North Plano Road

In article <779@mplvax.nosc.MIL> cdl@mplvax.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) writes:
>>Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
>>emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
>>resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells...
>
>Why not connect the two LEDs in series and use a smaller resistor. ...
>Answer of sorts ... the forward drop across the LED
>is too great.  About 2 volts for green...

In any power-critical application, one would probably want to use red,
not green.  In all the LED families I'm familiar with, red is streets
ahead of green on luminous efficiency.  However, this doesn't affect
the issue much, since the forward drop in red LEDs is only a little
lower than green.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (10/04/88)

From article <1988Oct2.053515.18004@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
<>>Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
<>>emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
<>>resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells...

< In any power-critical application, one would probably want to use red,
< not green.  In all the LED families I'm familiar with, red is streets
< ahead of green on luminous efficiency.  However, this doesn't affect
< the issue much, since the forward drop in red LEDs is only a little
< lower than green.

For the caving application, you would probably want to compute the
luminous efficiency using the scotopic luminosity function (rods
instead of cones).  This would shift the balance towards green
by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

cdl@mplvax.nosc.MIL (Carl Lowenstein) (10/04/88)

In article <1988Oct2.053515.18004@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <779@mplvax.nosc.MIL> cdl@mplvax.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) writes:
|>>Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
|>>emergency light sources:

>In any power-critical application, one would probably want to use red,
>not green.

One wonders about the tradeoff with the human eye's greater efficiency
in the green on the receiving end.

--

In article <1652@eos.UUCP> jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) writes:
> [red vs green LEDs, efficiency etc.]
>For the caving application, you would probably want to compute the
>luminous efficiency using the scotopic luminosity function (rods
>instead of cones).  This would shift the balance towards green
>by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

I'd be somewhat surprised if it were that large, based on some tinkering
with LEDs in low light levels... but I agree that this is the right way
to answer the question.  Better than computing the efficiency, actually,
would be to experiment, which would also give you some idea of what the
lowest usable light levels would be.
--

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (10/05/88)

>>emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
>>resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells...
>
>Why not connect the two LEDs in series and use a smaller resistor. ...
>Answer of sorts ... the forward drop across the LED
>is too great.  About 2 volts for green...

   I suspect a single-chip switching converter could be configured as an
efficient method of powering a couple LEDs - for instance, two lamps in
serial driven through a convertor designed to convert 5-9 vdc to a 20 mA.
output current.  A 9 volt alkaline could then power the lamps efficiently
over a wide range of its service life.

--
Ray Berry						KB7HT
Seattle Silicon Corp., 3075 112th Ave NE.,  Bellevue WA 98004
(206) 828 4422               UUCP:...!uw-beaver!tikal!ole!ray

neals@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Neal Sedell) (10/05/88)

Sorry to transpose this response with another article, but our mailer
has been extremely brain-damaged for quite a while now.  It used to be
almost perfect and I felt sorry for those less fortunate...

>>Some cave-explorer friends are experimenting with the new LEDs for
>>emergency light sources:  Two LEDs, each in series with a 33-ohm
>>resistor, connected to two alkaline AA-cells, will make enough light
>>to get out of the cave, for 24 hours.
>
>Why not connect the two LEDs in series and use a smaller resistor.

Well, since we're talking about an emergency light source, the key-word
is RELIABILITY, not efficiency!

>Answer of sorts to the question above:  the forward drop across the LED
>is too great.  About 2 volts for green.  Revise the question:  How
>about 3 alkaline cells and 2 LEDs.  Should be a better match to the
>problem, at a 50% weight penalty.

Same here.  Who needs another 50% probability of battery failure???

And yes, I'm glad we seem to have the  green/red  issue resolved...
--
Neal Sedell

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (10/06/88)

From article <7200014@silver>, by commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu:

> I read about "high-brightness" LEDs from Japan in Modern Electronics
> magazine a couple of years ago.  The author said that clusters of them
> would eventually replace incandescent bulbs for car tail-lights.  It
> was the April issue, so I didn't believe it!  :^)

Next time you're behind a recent Nissan 300ZX sports coupe in traffic, take
a good look at the center stop light.  It's very wide and thin, and
has the LED shade of red, slightly different than the usual automotive
taillight red.  I'm fairly sure it's an array of LEDs.  Perhaps a source of
high-brightness LEDs is the parts dept. of your Nissan dealer!
(I'm fairly sure it's the 300ZX, in any case it's their big "Japanese T-Bird"
model.)

--
Mike Butts, Research Engineer         KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005