[sci.electronics] Circular polarization vs omnidirectionality

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (10/07/88)

     Is it possible to construct a UHF antenna which is both circularly
polarized and omnidirectional in the horizontal plane?  Or are these
requirements mutually exclusive?  I'm looking for an antenna for 1.2GHz
with these properties.  Any ideas?  I'm trying to reduce the effect of
reflection nulls on my robot TV link.

					John Nagle
					KA2XXF (part 5 experimental, not ham)

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (10/07/88)

In article <17770@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     Is it possible to construct a UHF antenna which is both circularly
>polarized and omnidirectional in the horizontal plane?  Or are these
>requirements mutually exclusive?  I'm looking for an antenna for 1.2GHz
>with these properties.  Any ideas?  I'm trying to reduce the effect of
>reflection nulls on my robot TV link.

I'm not an antenna expert, but I'll dig deep into my electrodynamics
and see what I can come up with.  My guess would be to have a vertical
dipole and a circular loop like this:

                      ____________|____________
                     (_________________________)
                                  |    ^
                                  |    |
                                  |    Circular loop
                                  |    (seen edge on)

For circular polarization, drive these so that the magnetic field from
the vertical is 90 degrees out of phase with the magnetic field of the
loop when it reaches the loop, and so that the magnetic field from the
loop is in phase with the magnetic field of the other side of the loop
when it gets there.  In other words, make the radius of the loop an
even multiple of quarter wavelengths and drive the two parts 90
degrees out of phase.

This antenna should be omni-directional in the plane of the loop.
Directly above and below you're going to get nulls so this design will
be no good if your robot flies.  ;-)

Real RF types please correct me if I'm wrong.

>					John Nagle
>					KA2XXF (part 5 experimental, not ham)

Sounds like a neat project, John.  Good luck with it!

========
Darren Leigh -- (not part 5 experimental; not ham until I memorize
                 the code instead of the code tapes)
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:      hplabs!dleigh

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (10/07/88)

I have an antenna on VHF that might have the properties you're looking
for.  It is from FAA surplus and is labeled circularly polarized, so I
guess it is.  It's rather hard to describe, but here goes.

The elements are swastika shaped.  Imagine a swastika made out of solid
metal.  Now take the outer, hooked part of the swastika arms and bend
them up from the open ends so they make an angle of about 30 deg. to
the plane of the swastika.  This is one "pole" of the antenna.  The
other is another swastika with the arms hooked in the opposite direction
and bent down from the plane.  The plane of the swastikas (inner arms) is
horizontal.  I don't know if there's anything (like a matching device)
between the coax connector and the elements.  The outer conductor of
the coax is clearly connected directly to the lower swastika, but there
may be something between the inner conductor and the upper swastika.

In case that description is totally confusing I'll try a different one.

Imagine two thick disks, horizontal, one above the other like an Oreo
cookie. (Must be time for my bedtime snack.)  Sticking out from the
edges of the disks at four points 90 degrees apart are four parallel
conductor transmission lines (made of about 3/4" diameter rods at VHF).
At the end of each of these transmission lines is a dipole of the
same diameter.  The dipoles, rather than being horizontal are tilted
(rotated) at about 30 degrees to the plane of the disks and transmission
lines.  So if you look horizontally at the antenna the near dipole
is tilted one way and the far one is tilted the other way.

I assume the FAA wants this kind of antenna to receive equally well
from airplanes in all directions; and circularly polarized so it
doesn't care about the orientation of the (linearly polarized) antenna
in the plane.

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (10/07/88)

In article <17770@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      Is it possible to construct a UHF antenna which is both circularly
> polarized and omnidirectional in the horizontal plane?  Or are these
> requirements mutually exclusive?  I'm looking for an antenna for 1.2GHz

	The requirements are not mutually exclusive, as many TV stations,
even UHF, utilise circular polarisation.  Scala Electronics (Medford,
Oregon), Bogner (Long Island) and Dielectric Systems (?) manufacture
these antennas, but they are quite large and very expensive.

	If you don't care about efficiency (much) try a normal mode
helical antenna. This is one where would orient the helix normal
to the floor, and obtain the dreaded sin(theta) radiation characteristic
for both electrical modes.   They are very easy to construct and you
should be able to get an axial ratio in the .8 to 1.2 range very
easily (in which you'll have elliptical polarisation).

	Computing the helix dimensions will be easy, but determining
the operating impedance will be more difficult.  Any good antenna
text should have this information; you'll be able to get up and
running with this probably in one day or so.

York David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) (10/08/88)

The ARRL Satellite Experimenter's Handbook shows some
omni-az/circular-pol antenna designs.  The most interesting is the
quadrifliar helix, which is fashioned from wire in the form of four
intermingled helices.  It has been used on amateur satellites and with
GPS receivers.  Its radiation pattern does, however, favor the long
axis of the antenna.  Also, it is supposedly quite sensitive to its
environment.

Perhaps a more workable design is the Lindenblad antenna, which
comprises a number of dipoles (at least four) spaced around the
periphery of an imaginary, horizontal circle.  The dipoles are tilted
about 30 degrees out of the horizontal plane.  I believe the
"swastika" antenna mentioned earlier is of this design.  Also, I
remember once seeing such an array spaced around an observation deck
on the Empire State Building -- I think it was for FM radio
broadcasting.  The Lindenblad concentrates its radiation at low
angles; it's truly omniazimuthal.

There is also the turnstile (crossed dipoles over a ground plane), but
its circularity is not good at low angles.

Some references from the Satellite Experimenter's Handbook are:

	Lindenblad:
		Brown & Woodward: "Circularly-Polarized
		Omnidirectional Antenna," RCA Review, Vol. 8, June
		1947, pp. 259-269

	Quadrifilar heilx:
		Kilgus, "Resonant Quadrifilar Heilx Design," Microwave
		Journal, Dec. 1970, pp. 49-54

Have fun,
Bill
N1CPK

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (10/08/88)

In article <2419@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
>In article <17770@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

[John wanted an omni-directional, circularly polarized antenna.
 I offered the following design but got it wrong: see below]

|                                  |
|                                  | <- Vertical dipole
|                                  |
|                                  |
|                      ____________|____________
|                     (_________________________)
|                                  |    ^
|                                  |    |
|                                  |    Circular loop
|                                  |    (seen edge on)
|                                  |

|For circular polarization, drive these so that the magnetic field from
|the vertical is 90 degrees out of phase with the magnetic field of the
|loop when it reaches the loop, and so that the magnetic field from the
|loop is in phase with the magnetic field of the other side of the loop
|when it gets there.  In other words, make the radius of the loop an
|even multiple of quarter wavelengths and drive the two parts 90
|degrees out of phase.

I forgot that the current on the far side of the loop is going the
opposite direction as that on the near side; therefore the diameter
should be an odd multiple of half wavelengths.  To do this antenna
right then, the radius of the loop should be an odd multiple of
quarter wavelengths and the two elements should be driven in phase.

========
Darren Leigh

leadfoot%leftlane@Sun.COM (Mark Curtis) (10/08/88)

In article <1122@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:

>                                                         Also, I
>remember once seeing such an array spaced around an observation deck
>on the Empire State Building -- I think it was for FM radio
>broadcasting.  The Lindenblad concentrates its radiation at low
>angles; it's truly omniazimuthal.
>
>Have fun,
>Bill
>N1CPK

I saw that antenna last year sometime at a distance of about 4 feet.  I
wonder what the field strength was where I was standing?

prager@Data-IO.COM (David Prager) (10/08/88)

First a question. Is there a difference between a circularly
polarized antenna and an antenna whose radiated enerty has equal vertical
and horizontal components?

If not, I'd suggest that anyone looking for an antenna with these
characteristics check into broadcast antennas for the commercial FM band.
These antennas are well designed (usually), omnidirectional, and have
equal H and V components. The major manufacturers maintain test ranges
and do considerable research on their equipment.

While omnidirectional, effective gain is achieved through phased
stacking of the radiating elements. Arrays of antennas can them be
center or end fed depending on preference and mounting set up.

There is a company called Shively Labortory in Maine who publishes a
wonderful catalog. The designs and specs for most of their line is
publicly availible.

I don't think that many hams need antennas that are built this beefy,
but the design issues have already been worked out.

						David
						once upon WA3KQN

David Prager                 (w)206-881-6444        (h)206-485-4397
Data I/O Corp
10524 Willows Rd. NE	    prager@DATA-IO.COM
Redmond, WA.                ...uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!prager
98073-9746                   or whatever works.