[sci.electronics] Looking for Blue LEDs

aardvark@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Bill Gallagher) (09/19/88)

I'm looking for a source for Blue LEDs.  I recall a discussion
last year that proved such a thing exists, but didn't save the
address where they could be bought.  Now I have a good use for
them, and need alot of them.  MAIL me the address if you know
it, but pointers to reputable, well-stocked supply houses would
be appreciated, too.

Thanks for your help.
--
Bill Gallagher            aardvark@nmt.edu
NMT Computer Center       "What's that watermelon doing here?"

cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) (09/20/88)

I'm pretty sure DigiKey, Inc. sells them -- check 800 information for a good
number on them.  (1-800-555-1212).

I have several, but have no idea where they came from.  (They look more
purplish than blue to me, as if they were red L.E.D.'s with blue paint
mixed into the glass.  I have technical reasons to suspect this, also: they
are not as grossly enefficient as blue L.E.D.'s should theoretically be).

Good luck.

						Chris

sleat@ardent.UUCP (Michael Sleator) (09/21/88)

In article <862@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>I'm pretty sure DigiKey, Inc. sells them -- check 800 information for a good
>number on them.  (1-800-555-1212).
>
>I have several, but have no idea where they came from.  (They look more
>purplish than blue to me, as if they were red L.E.D.'s with blue paint
>mixed into the glass.  I have technical reasons to suspect this, also: they
>are not as grossly enefficient as blue L.E.D.'s should theoretically be).

Um, wait a minute...

Although not as narrow as a laser diode, LEDs have a reasonably narrow
output spectrum.  This means that a red LED emits almost all of its energy
at the red end of the spectrum.  All that blue pigment in the plastic
would do is absorb non-blue light.  If there were a significant amount of
blue light in the original output, then blue pigment would indeed make it
look more blueish (shades of Yellow Submarine...), but then the unfiltered
LED would look rather magenta-ish, no?  Since to my eyes regular red LEDs
don't look magenta, I suspect that trying to make a blue LED by throwing
away all of the red light from a red LED would be *very* enefficient.
(Ever hear of a "DED"?)  A quick check with a handy chunk of Lucite acting
as a prism doesn't show any significant blue emission from the LEDs on the
back of my Sun-3/50.

Of course, if you're suggesting a florescent pigment that absorbs red and
emits blue, that's another matter.  I doubt that's what's going on, though.

Michael Sleator
Ardent Computer
...!uunet!ardent!sleat

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (09/21/88)

In article <862@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>I have several, but have no idea where they came from.  (They look more
>purplish than blue to me, as if they were red L.E.D.'s with blue paint
>mixed into the glass.  I have technical reasons to suspect this, also: they
>are not as grossly enefficient as blue L.E.D.'s should theoretically be).

	I'm not sure (therefore I know I shouldn't post this...), but I
doubt that your blue LED's could possibly be red LED's with a blue filter.
This seems impossible since LED's (which, with red are GaAs? gallium
arsenide) are second cousin's to semiconductor lasers, and are very
monochromatic. Just try to view a red LED through a green or blue interference
filter -- you'll see nothing. Therefore output in the blue region is nil
as well.
	In any case, I also believe that blue LED's are fabricated from
silicon nitride. BTW, why should a blue LED necessarily grossly
inefficient ? I do believe that blue LED's made from silicon nitride are,
but why must a blue LED (regardless of implementation) be inefficient.
	As far as why your blue LED appears purplish. It probably is
psychophysical/physiological, rather than any red output. Just as the
extreme shortwavelength end of the rainbow appears violet/purple, the
blue LED probably is emitting light at, say 430nm. Your red cones in the
retina actually have significant sensitivity in the deep blue region --
more so than your green cones. Thus deep blue appears purplish or
actually bluish/red, an anomolous sensation.

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (09/22/88)

In article <595@ardent.UUCP> sleat@ardent.UUCP (Michael Sleator) writes:
>Of course, if you're suggesting a florescent pigment that absorbs red and
>emits blue, that's another matter.  I doubt that's what's going on, though.

	Yes, highly unlikely, since fluors absorb a higher energy photon
and emit a lower energy photon. Blue is higher energy than red, not
vice versa. Maybe its possible to have a fluor absorb two lower energy
photons to emit a single higher energy one (absorb two red, output one
blue), but then what will happen to the extra photoelectron kicking around ?

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (09/22/88)

/ hpclkms:sci.electronics / cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) /  8:23 am  Sep 20, 1988 /

Yes.  Blue LED's exists, and are made by Siemen's Optoelectronics.  They come
in a stantard T1-3/4 package, and are packaged in CLEAR plastic.  The forward
voltage drop is ~4V.  When I called Siemen's to ask for a sample, they told
me they cost ~$50.00!  They are made from silicon carbide, and emit light
at 420 nm.  (I am not sure about the wavelength.  This is all from memory.)

If you want to call Seimen's about them, the part number is:
     LDB 5410

Good luck getting one.

Kenneth Sumrall
HP California Language Labs
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) (09/23/88)

Hmm ... The reason I thought they would be effecient (since I guess I am the
one who started it) is because I read that GREEN LED's are less effecient
than red ones are, significantly.  (I learned a neat lesson this week - if
you're not sure, SHUT UP ... some advice from me to myself).

Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
it be red, YELLOW, blue?

Projection televisions work the same way ... is it possible to emit green,
and blue 180 degrees out of phase with the blue component of the green, to
cancel out the blue and the green and make yellow?  If not, how do you make
yellow?

Thanks, everyone; sorry about the gum-flapping, I'll know better next time.

/Chris

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

	You are confusing additive colors with subtractive colors. Yes, if
you add blue paint to yellow paint, you get green paint. But if you add
red light to green light, you get yellow light, not brown paint.

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (09/23/88)

In article <1138@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, aardvark@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Bill Gallagher) writes:

> I'm looking for a source for Blue LEDs.  I recall a discussion
> last year that proved such a thing exists, but didn't save the
> address where they could be bought.  Now I have a good use for
> them, and need alot of them.  MAIL me the address if you know
> it, but pointers to reputable, well-stocked supply houses would
> be appreciated, too.

Try Panasonic ( I saw one at a trade show about 4 years ago)

or Siemans (Or some other German outfit).  I think the german version
was around $50 and had a reverse breakdown voltage of less than
100 millivolts.  Not something you'd want to accidently hook up backwards.

Mark Zenier	uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz
"He did decide, though, that with more time and a great deal of mental effort,
he could probably turn the activity into an acceptable perversion"-Mick Farren

hild@infbs.UUCP (Frank Hildebrandt) (09/23/88)

In article <1138@nmtsun.nmt.edu> aardvark@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Bill Gallagher) writes:
>I'm looking for a source for Blue LEDs. ...
>..... and need alot of them. .............

I recall that there are two manufacturers of blue LEDs: Siemens and
maybe Hitachi. The Siemens' is named LB 5410-H0, it emits blue light at
480 nm and gives 2.5 mcd (milli-candela) at 20 mA. It's 5mm in diameter and the
order number is Q68000-A5700.
BUT: You won't like to order them. The last time I saw a pricelist they were
well above $10 (or even $100 ?), so the LEDs will be more expensive than the
remaining parts.

Greetings, Frank.

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

Well, because then you can't get green.

>Projection televisions work the same way ... is it possible to emit green,
>and blue 180 degrees out of phase with the blue component of the green, to
>cancel out the blue and the green and make yellow?

No.

If not, how do you make
>yellow?

Red + green.  Red + blue = magenta, green + blue = cyan (light blue.)
(Really!)  Sheesh.
--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP>, cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

> ... (I learned a neat lesson this week - if
> you're not sure, SHUT UP ... some advice from me to myself).

Strike one.

> Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
> the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
> it be red, YELLOW, blue?

This should be in rec.video or rec.photo.  Strike two.

You're wrong.  Strike three.

Red, green and blue are ADDITIVE primaries; combine light sources that
radiate the three primaries and get white.  Yellow, cyan and magenta
are subtractive primaries; cyan subtracts red, magenta subtracts green,
yellow subtracts blue.  Mix the three subtractive primary dyes and they
subtract the three additive primary colors to make black.

The sensation of yellow is the result of stimulating the red and green
sensitive cells in the retina.  A pure yellow light source has this
effect because the sensitivity curves for the two cell types overlap
strongly in that part of the spectrum.  If you bother to look closely
at a color television you will see that the red and green phosphors are
`on' when the image is yellow.  Green can be made by mixing a cyan
(blue-green) dye with a yellow (red-green) dye.  Cyan subtracts red,
yellow subtracts blue; green remains.

Please don't bring up two-color primary theories, I know about them.
Now, can we get back to the DSP lessons?
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736

hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

You are confusing the primary PIGMENT colors with primary LIGHT colors.
Pigment's primaries are, indeed, red, blue and yeller.  If you mix them all
together you get black.

Light's primaries are red(it's not actualy red but I forget what), green and
blue.  If you mix them all together you get white.

>Projection televisions work the same way ... is it possible to emit green,
>and blue 180 degrees out of phase with the blue component of the green, to
>cancel out the blue and the green and make yellow?  If not, how do you make
>yellow?

I don't remember, but it IS a mix of the primaries. (red-green maybe)
A lot of intro physiscs books have diagrams of the mixes of both
pigments and light.  An encyclopedia would have it as well.

Erik H.

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP>, cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

> Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
> the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
> it be red, YELLOW, blue?

	Actually, you are thinking about pigmented primary colour systems, not
optical additive primary colour systems.  The RGB primaries represent the maximum
span (and define a "triangle" on the CIE colour chart, a 2-d representation of
colour space) of reproducible colours.  Colours outside the "span" cannot be
reproduced.

	Check out any decent book on physical psychology, Cornsweet's classic
text "Visual Perception", or the half-zillion books published on this subject
in the 50's w.r.t. colour TV.

York David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (09/23/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

Its time to explain the color wheel again.  The Primary colors are
different depending on whether you are talking about light adding up
to make colors, or pigments subtracting to make colors.  The three
primary additive colors are Red, Green and Blue (suprize, RGB monitors)
The three subtractive colors are Cyan (a blue-ish green), Magenta
(A Red with some purple like tint) and Yellow.  In school you
learned to mix yellow and blue crayons to make green, the actual
primary pigment subtraction (or filtration) is yellow and cyan to make
green.  If fact, each combination of two of one set of primaries makes
one of the other.  We call that the color wheel, and if my memory
serves me correctly:

			 Red
              Yellow             Magenta

	      Green              Blue
	                 Cyan

Ok, each color is the opposite of the one diagonally across
(ie red and cyan, green and magenta, yellow and blue), and each
color is made of the two ajacent to it (read and green light makes
yellow, magenta and cyan pigment filter white to make blue)

How it works subtractively is that Cyan does not let Red through,
Magenta does not let Green through and Yellow does not let Blue through
thus take white light and filter out the Red and Green and you have
blue left.

Totally confused?

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

ins_agh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gary Henry) (09/23/88)

There are electronic clock radios out there with blue digits, so they
do exist!  (or, at least there is a good trick to make it SEEM like
they are blue LEDs!)

Gary Henry
The Johns Hopkins University
ins_agh@jhunix.UUCP

aardvark@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Bill Gallagher) (09/23/88)

In the words of Judge Wapner, "I've heard enough..."

I was able to track down a supplier for Blue LEDs.
Here is all the vital information you might need.

Blue LED, part number Siemens LDB 5410
2.5v, reverse voltage 1.0v, forward current 25 mA
Pure-blue, silicon carbide, peak emission @ 480nm
$65 each in small quantities
Available from Marshall in Phoenix (800) 528-6412

Thanks to those of you who responded.
--

fwb@demon.siemens.com (Frederic W. Brehm) (09/24/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

I thought that red, yellow and blue were the "primary" colors until I took
Physics II in high school.  Don't believe everything you learned in
elementary school.

Red, green and blue are the ADDITIVE primary colors.  That means that you
add different proportions of these three to make all of the different
colors.  Color CRT screens and the projection TVs add the light from the
different phosphors to produce color.

The SUBTRACTIVE primaries are cyan (kind of blueish-green), magenta (kind
of reddish-purple), and yellow.  This means that you subtract different
proportions of these three from white light to produce all the different
colors.  Printing technologies use this method.

There is a color wheel which describes the relationships between the
additive and subtractive primaries.  You can probably find it in a good
book on color photography.

Fred
Frederic W. Brehm		phone:	    (609)-734-3336
Siemens Corporate Research	uucp:	    princeton!siemens!demon!fwb
755 College Road East		internet:   fwb@demon.siemens.com
Princeton, NJ  08540
    "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere."
						- Dr. Seuss

goehring@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott Goehring) (09/24/88)

In article <7061@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_agh@jhunix.UUCP (Gary Henry) writes:
>There are electronic clock radios out there with blue digits, so they
>do exist!  (or, at least there is a good trick to make it SEEM like
>they are blue LEDs!)

I have one of those clock-radios.  Mine uses a flourescent display, not
LEDs.  After seeing the prices that some have posted for blue LEDs I
don't even want to think about what a blue seven-segment LED display
would cost.

In article <7061@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_agh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gary Henry) writes:
> There are electronic clock radios out there with blue digits, so they
> do exist!  (or, at least there is a good trick to make it SEEM like
> they are blue LEDs!)

	I suspect that you are looking at a vacuum fluorescent display, most
of which emit blue light.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In article <262@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
>... But if you add
>red light to green light, you get yellow light, not brown paint.

Dept of Nitpicking:  actually you don't get yellow light, you get light
that *looks* yellow to an unaided human eye.  A spectrophotometer (or
just a prism) will reveal that it really still is red plus green.  (I
have seen people confused over this, so it seemed worth mentioning.)
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/25/88)

>Frequency multipliers do exist, though.

>One application of their use is to convert  the output of a high power
>laser; eg: a Nd-YAG laser (IR light); to higher frequency, eg, visible light.

>The doubler is grossly inefficient, expensive, and is usable because
>the laser gives off lots of watts (large photon flux so multi photon aborption
>is more probable).

Doublers are not inefficient. 5 mm long potassium titanyl phosphate

( K TiO PO ) crytsals will double 1.064 micron light with typical
          4

efficiencies of 60 to 75%. With two in series you can get total
90% efficiency. They are expensive ($2700 for a 5x3x3mm crystal).
They do need large powers (say 50 watts to get 60% efficiency).

Multiphoton absorption is to  be avoided like the plague - if it happens,
the crystal EXPLODES! Whoops, $2700 down the drain!
These things work on nonlinear index of refraction, not absorption.

Doug McDonald

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (09/25/88)

Check out Hamilton Avnet - they sell them and I think its fujitsu that manufactures
them.  sorry - no part numbers.
/leonard

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (09/26/88)

In article <1988Sep24.051114.15993@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
 In article <262@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
 >... But if you add
 >red light to green light, you get yellow light, not brown paint.

 Dept of Nitpicking:  actually you don't get yellow light, you get light
 that *looks* yellow to an unaided human eye.  A spectrophotometer (or
 just a prism) will reveal that it really still is red plus green.  (I
 have seen people confused over this, so it seemed worth mentioning.)

Well, now, that depends upon how broad the spectra of the aforementioned
red and green sources are, doesn't it?

I'm delighted that so many of our audiophiles are opti-philes (or whatever).
This is certainly a more exciting topic, anyway, than CD longevity, mercury-
filled cables (:-) sorry), Sony Portables and whether or not your car
CD player skips ... sheesh!
--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511
  v   sss  || the opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
-----------|| employer, north carolina state university . . . . . . . . . . .

william@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk (09/26/88)

Blue LEDs :  Electrovalue, a (UK?) supplier will sell them for
29 pounds, with a comment to the effect that the price is not a
misprint in the catalogue.  If you are keen to wait for the currencies
to reach near parity, then mail me and I can get some for you!

		... Bill

Bill Witts, CS Dept.     *    Nel Mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
UCL, London, Errrp       *    mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
william@cs.ucl.ac.uk     *    che la diritta via era smarrita.

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (09/26/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?

I just know there'll be a hundred optical physicists leaping to answer that
one,  so I'll skip over it and ask a corollary.

I guess that a yellow LED is really a red and a green LED in the same capsule:
correct?

--------
Charlie

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (George Sukenick) (09/27/88)

>Doublers are not inefficient. [60-90%] [expensive ca. $2700]

>They do need large powers (say 50 watts to get 60% efficiency).

>Multiphoton absorption is to  be avoided like the plague - if it happens,
>the crystal EXPLODES! Whoops, $2700 down the drain!
>These things work on nonlinear index of refraction, not absorption.

Absolutely right!

Thanks for the correction.

I had said 'absorption' when it should have been about 'virtual levels'
and I had forgotten about phase matching  (which brings efficiency up)
(Its been a while since Yariv  and  Born & Wolf....)

I hope that no one blew up anything on my account   :-)

rdp@atexrd.UUCP (Dick Pierce) (09/27/88)

In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:

>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>it be red, YELLOW, blue?

There are two types of primary colors: additive and subtractive. Those systems
(such as TV screens) that create color by adding primaries together use the
additive primaries red green and blue. Mixing any two of these together
gives you magenta (red+blue), yellow (red+green) and cyan (green+blue), all
three mixed together in egaul intensities gives white (or grey). Systems that
produce color by subtraction (such as full-color printing or color slides) use
the primary colors of magneta, yellow and cyan (sound familiar, eh?). By
subtracting two of these primaries from white light, you get red
(-(magneta+yellow), green (-(cyan+yellow) and blue (-(cyan+magenta).

What this has to do with rec.audio is beyond me, but, what the hell.

--
Dick Pierce                                    EPPS, Inc.
(617) 276-7317                                 32 Wiggins Ave.

tow@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rob Tow) (09/28/88)

In article <262@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
>In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>>
>>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?  Why shouldn't
>>it be red, YELLOW, blue?
>
>	You are confusing additive colors with subtractive colors. Yes, if
>you add blue paint to yellow paint, you get green paint. But if you add
>red light to green light, you get yellow light, not brown paint.

I am stirred from my dogmatic slumbers, to paraphrase Hume...

Wrong. In the "paint" world, adding *cyan* to yellow yields green. Cyan
is often confused with blue.  In the world of "paint" - subtractive colors,
actually - cyan is blue plus green. Adding a really blue paint to a really
yellow paint would produce a grey or a black!
On a monitor, yellow is made by lighting up the green and red phosphor dots;
adding blue then makes white.

The entire discussion of color up to this point has been filled with
misinformation, with the sole exception of one gentleman who actually
quoted sources for cone pigment sensitivity curves.

This discussion does not belong in this group. It should be moved elsewhere.
The closest match would be comp.graphics - where it gets regularly revived
every year or so.

A few sources for those who really do wish to explore human color perception
and color reproduction (quickly looking at my bookshelf):

"The Reproduction of Colour in Photography, Printing, and Television", by
Dr. R. W. G. Hunt, Fourth Edition, Fountain Press, England, 1987,
ISBN o 86343 088 0.  This is perhaps the ultimate reference for color
reproduction. Warning: this, and the next book, are rather expensive: on
the close order of $100.

"Color Science: Concepts and Methods, Quantitative Data and Formulae",
Gunter Wyszecki and W. S. Stiles, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, 1982,
ISBN 0-471-02106-7.
This is the ultimate deskside reference for psychophics/radiometry/color
measurement.

"Colour: Why the World Isn't Grey", Hazel Rossotti, Princeton University
Press,  1985, ISBN 0-691-08369-X. An entertaining yet informative
exploration of color perception and the physics of color.

Color perception is not a completely understood area. There are useful
engineering models; after all, we find utility in color printing, television,
photography, etc. All of these are actually clever illusions which
exploit aspects of the human visual system.

---

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Drive
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(415)-494-4087

etxbrfa@kklm01.ericsson.se (Bjoern Fahller) (09/29/88)

The only problem with blue LEDs is the price. In sweden you can buy blue
LEDs from ELFA AB at SEK 280 each. They're called SLB5410.

some data:

Diameter          5 mm
If               25 mA max
Uf               3.75V typ
intensity        0.6   mcd
angle            +- 8  deg

SNAIL: ERICSSON TELECOM         Vox humana:  (+46) 8 - 719 62 52
       Bjoern Fahller           Fax machina: (+46) 8 - 740 28 34
       KK/ETX/TT/MLG
       S-126 25 STOCKHOLM
       SWEDEN

In article <870@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) writes:
>I guess that a yellow LED is really a red and a green LED in the same capsule:
>correct?

Nope.  It's a different flavor of LED.  Red+green LEDs do exist, but they
are built for use as multi-color LEDs, with the ability to activate one or
the other color.  Activating both does give you yellow, but the red+green
jobs are more expensive and somewhat of a hassle to drive; using them for
single-color applications is not worthwhile.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

hd@kappa.rice.edu (Hubert D.) (10/05/88)

An actual BLUE led (480nm) is available from Siemens.  The
part number is LDB5410.  It has a 16 degree viewing angle and
6.0 mcd luminous intensity @ 20ma.

The data book lists their head office at:
	Optoelectronics Division
	19000 Homestead Road
	Cupertino, CA 95014
	(408) 257-7910

I have not used the device, just remembered seeing it in the data book.

Hubert Daugherty
hd@rice.edu

fwells@wheaton.UUCP (Frank Wells) (10/06/88)

In article <870@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) writes:
>In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?
>I just know there'll be a hundred optical physicists leaping to answer that
>one,  so I'll skip over it and ask a corollary.
>I guess that a yellow LED is really a red and a green LED in the same capsule:
>correct?

Somebody's probably already said it, but the primary PIGMENTS are Red,
Yellow, Blue (as opposed to COLORS, tints if you will.).

An LED, on the other hand electrically excites the diode material to produce
the yellow color.  You could have a yellow gun in a monitor, but you'd
have trouble getting all the colors right.

Hope this helps.

Frank Wells

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (10/08/88)

The primary additive colors are RED, GREEN, and BLUE. The subtractive
primary colors are CYAN, MAGENTA, and YELLOW.  Light works differently
than pigments.

I spent many years as a pro color printer where I spent lots of time
mixing light in a color-head enlarger. You need to know color theory
to do this right.

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (10/12/88)

In article <795@wheaton.UUCP> fwells@wheaton.UUCP (Frank Wells) writes:

>>In article <871@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) writes:
>>>Question: why are R.G.B. monitors Red, GREEN, blue, when GREEN is not one of
>>>the primary colors (being a combination of blue and yellow)?

>Somebody's probably already said it, but the primary PIGMENTS are Red,
>Yellow, Blue (as opposed to COLORS, tints if you will.).
>Hope this helps.
>Frank Wells

Now wait a minute.... :-)

In printing (ink), the three pigments used are: yellow,
cyan (*not* blue), and magenta (*not* red).  there is a
pseudo fourth pigment (black), but this is just used because
it is a combination of the first three, and much easier to use
in everyday printing.

In printing, remember that the colors that you see are
what is *not* absorbed by the individule pigments.
the color green is (are?) the wavelengths that cyan and
yellow have in common.  likewise blue is the intersection
of cyan/magenta and red is the intersection of yellow/magenta.
remember that this is a subtractive (is that an adjective :-)
effect.  green is cyan minus all but the 'yellow' components.

light, on the otherhand, is additive.  blue *plus* green give
you back the cyan. ( a gross generalization at best, but
suitable for the moment) if you look at it like red/green/blue
are three disjoint sets whose union make up the color
'universe'.  then magenta/cyan/yellow are the union of two specific
colors. ie

    |-- red --||-- blue -||- green -|

    |------ magenta -----|
  <- yellow --|           |-- yellow ->

that's why tv/monitors/etc use red/green/blue for the guns,
and why printers use cyan/magenta/yellow.

critical review welcome, i'll bring the marshmellows ;-)

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ att ulysses allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ att akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr