[sci.electronics] CODEC - How to get one?

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (10/12/88)

Recently, I have been playing around with sound digitization, and was able
to get a peek at a commerical unit.  It had a chip in it that was referred
to as a CODEC.  This appears to be a A/D & D/A converter with an audio
compression that they refer to as mu and A law.

Can anyone provide input on what the mu and A law compression schemes are,
and (especially) how I would go about getting a CODEC chip (prices, locations,
etc).  Would a company like Motorola, AT&T, or TI provide evaluation kits
with these chips?

It seems like AT&T Microelectronics is the biggest supplier of such chips,
probably because they are used in digital telephone equipment.  I really
don't know how to go about getting in touch with them about getting a
single-quantity chip (oh well...).

Thanks in advance for any info.  This sounds like a good subject to post

Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

pfales@ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) (10/13/88)

In article <375@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
> Can anyone provide input on what the mu and A law compression schemes are,
> and (especially) how I would go about getting a CODEC chip (prices, locations,
> etc).  Would a company like Motorola, AT&T, or TI provide evaluation kits
> with these chips?

All the companies you mention as well as others make CODEC chips.  However,
most of them share a common drawback for experimenter's use in that the
digital information is input and output serially.  I have used a chip
made by National Semiconductor which is much nicer for microprocessor
use because it has a parallel data interface (though the data bus does
use a somewhat non-standard clocking and chip selection scheme).  It
comes in two versions: the TP3051 uses mu law and the TP3056 uses A law
companding.

Companding is explained in any reference book on digital
telecommunications.  Simply put, it is a method of improving the sigal-to-
noise ratio without increasing the number of sampling bits by using
finer sampling for low amplitude signals.  In other words, the
relationship between analog input and digital output is not a straight
line, but a curve, and the shape of that curve is defined by the mu law
or A law equation.

My source is National's 1984 Telecommunications Databook.  There are
probably more recent devices out there that I am not aware of.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza

barry@crcmar.uucp (Barry Mclarnon) (10/17/88)

From article <375@limbic.UUCP>, by gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.):
> Recently, I have been playing around with sound digitization, and was able
> to get a peek at a commerical unit.  It had a chip in it that was referred
> to as a CODEC.  This appears to be a A/D & D/A converter with an audio
> compression that they refer to as mu and A law.
>
> Can anyone provide input on what the mu and A law compression schemes are,
> and (especially) how I would go about getting a CODEC chip (prices, locations,
> etc).  Would a company like Motorola, AT&T, or TI provide evaluation kits
> with these chips?

I'm not sure about evaluation kits, but you probably won't need one once you
get the applications info on the chips.  The best source for this is the data
books from the various manufacturers.  They can usually be had for free if you
contact the nearest sales office or distributor and ask nicely.  Here are
several to look for, so you should be able to hit on at least one of them:

Motorola: Telecommunications Device Data

National Semiconductor: Telecommunications Databook

Intel: Telecommunication Products Handbook

Hitachi: CODEC/Filter Combo LSI Data Book

TI: Telecommunications Circuits Data Book

Good luck!

--
Barry McLarnon    Communications Research Center   Ottawa, ON   Canada
UUCP: uunet!ai.toronto.edu!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!crcmar!barry

nat@bales.UUCP (Nathaniel Stitt) (10/19/88)

In article <375@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>Recently, I have been playing around with sound digitization, and was able
>to get a peek at a commerical unit.  It had a chip in it that was referred
>to as a CODEC.  This appears to be a A/D & D/A converter with an audio
>compression that they refer to as mu and A law.
>
>Can anyone provide input on what the mu and A law compression schemes are,

Here is a look up table I created a while back for going from 8-bit mu-law
encoded samples to 13-bit signed linear samples.  I generated this table
from a description of mu-law from a book I got at Radio Shack, so no
guarantees.  You should use the 8-bit mu-law value as an unsigned 8-bit
index into the table.

Here is the table:

short u2norm[256] =
{
	-4016,
	-3888,
	-3760,
	-3632,
	-3504,
	-3376,
	-3248,
	-3120,
	-2992,
	-2864,
	-2736,
	-2608,
	-2480,
	-2352,
	-2224,
	-2096,
	-2000,
	-1936,
	-1872,
	-1808,
	-1744,
	-1680,
	-1616,
	-1552,
	-1488,
	-1424,
	-1360,
	-1296,
	-1232,
	-1168,
	-1104,
	-1040,
	-992,
	-960,
	-928,
	-896,
	-864,
	-832,
	-800,
	-768,
	-736,
	-704,
	-672,
	-640,
	-608,
	-576,
	-544,
	-512,
	-488,
	-472,
	-456,
	-440,
	-424,
	-408,
	-392,
	-376,
	-360,
	-344,
	-328,
	-312,
	-296,
	-280,
	-264,
	-248,
	-236,
	-228,
	-220,
	-212,
	-204,
	-196,
	-188,
	-180,
	-172,
	-164,
	-156,
	-148,
	-140,
	-132,
	-124,
	-116,
	-110,
	-106,
	-102,
	-98,
	-94,
	-90,
	-86,
	-82,
	-78,
	-74,
	-70,
	-66,
	-62,
	-58,
	-54,
	-50,
	-47,
	-45,
	-43,
	-41,
	-39,
	-37,
	-35,
	-33,
	-31,
	-29,
	-27,
	-25,
	-23,
	-21,
	-19,
	-17,
	-15,
	-14,
	-13,
	-12,
	-11,
	-10,
	-9,
	-8,
	-7,
	-6,
	-5,
	-4,
	-3,
	-2,
	-1,
	0,
	4016,
	3888,
	3760,
	3632,
	3504,
	3376,
	3248,
	3120,
	2992,
	2864,
	2736,
	2608,
	2480,
	2352,
	2224,
	2096,
	2000,
	1936,
	1872,
	1808,
	1744,
	1680,
	1616,
	1552,
	1488,
	1424,
	1360,
	1296,
	1232,
	1168,
	1104,
	1040,
	992,
	960,
	928,
	896,
	864,
	832,
	800,
	768,
	736,
	704,
	672,
	640,
	608,
	576,
	544,
	512,
	488,
	472,
	456,
	440,
	424,
	408,
	392,
	376,
	360,
	344,
	328,
	312,
	296,
	280,
	264,
	248,
	236,
	228,
	220,
	212,
	204,
	196,
	188,
	180,
	172,
	164,
	156,
	148,
	140,
	132,
	124,
	116,
	110,
	106,
	102,
	98,
	94,
	90,
	86,
	82,
	78,
	74,
	70,
	66,
	62,
	58,
	54,
	50,
	47,
	45,
	43,
	41,
	39,
	37,
	35,
	33,
	31,
	29,
	27,
	25,
	23,
	21,
	19,
	17,
	15,
	14,
	13,
	12,
	11,
	10,
	9,
	8,
	7,
	6,
	5,
	4,
	3,
	2,
	1,
	0
};

>Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
>ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
>P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
>Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

--
Nathaniel Stitt           | This life is a test.  It is only a test.  Had
Guidelines Software, Inc. | this been an actual life, you would have received