[sci.electronics] Rust Prevention

aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) (10/11/88)

    I am looking for some pointers to information on the subject of
anodic/cathodic(terminology please) system of rust prevention/inhibition.
    Preferably, I need technical information on the chemistry involved in
both the sacrificial and non-sacrificial systems.  Also on the difference
between gel-cel and solid(metallic ?) systems.
    Any opinions on the workability,reliability and general perform-
ance of these systems would be appreciated.
    All of the above should reference the automotive industry, although
general information on marine systems would be helpful, also

    EMAIL if at all possible.
    Thank you in advance.

					George A. Basar
					aic@s.cc.purdue.edu
					BASAR@PURCCVM

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) (10/13/88)

In article <3596@s.cc.purdue.edu> aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) writes:
>    I am looking for some pointers to information on the subject of
>anodic/cathodic(terminology please) system of rust prevention/inhibition.
>    All of the above should reference the automotive industry, although
>general information on marine systems would be helpful, also

Similar questions to these were posted to rec.autos several months ago.  I do
not see how electrolytic protection (cathodic protection) is applicable to
automobiles as they are not generally in a conductive or electrolytic
environment.  The common use for cathodic protection is in ships or underground
piping where the material to be protected is surrounded by water or moist soil
which is electrically conductive.

In any event, the following references should help George any anyone else
interested in this form of corrosion protection.

"Fundamentals of Cathodic Protection", "Corrosion Cathodic Protection and
Common Sense", and "Cathodic Protection - One Way to Prevent Underground
Corrosion".

These three papers were written by B. Husock of Harco Corporation, Cathodic
Protection Division, 1055 West Smith Road, Medina, Ohio  44256.  Harco can
provide copies of these papers for a small fee.  These references are somewhat
dated and I do not know if Harco is still in business.  If you cannot locate
them any other way, I can provide a copy.
                                                    Barry
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz   UUCP:...!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

al@cs.strath.ac.uk (Alan Lorimer) (10/14/88)

In article <1450@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) writes:
>In article <3596@s.cc.purdue.edu> aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A. Basar) writes:
>>    I am looking for some pointers to information on the subject of
>>anodic/cathodic(terminology please) system of rust prevention/inhibition.
.
.
.
>Similar questions to these were posted to rec.autos several months ago.  I do
>not see how electrolytic protection (cathodic protection) is applicable to
>automobiles as they are not generally in a conductive or electrolytic
>environment.
.
.
I don't think this is quite right - was not the whole reason for
switching cars from positive earth systems to negative earth systems
purely to provide a degree of cathodic protection for the bodywork, since
positive earth systems actually encouraged the vehicle to rust.

I remember a circuit which was designed to protect your vehicle:

        _______________       _______________
        |             |       |             |
      __|_            +  12V  -            _|__
    _/    \__         |-------|          _/    \__
   |O------O-|        |_______|         |O------O-|

Someone else's car			Your Car

Go on try it on your neighbour's car :-)

Regards,

Al.
Alan G. Lorimer, Strathclyde University, 26 Richmond Street, Glasgow G1 1XH.
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!al    DARPA: al%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs
					   JANET: al@uk.ac.strath.cs

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (10/19/88)

In article <1450@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) writes:
>In article <3596@s.cc.purdue.edu> aic@s.cc.purdue.edu (George A.
>Basar) writes:
>    I am looking for some pointers to information on the subject of
>anodic/cathodic(terminology please) system of rust
prevention/inhibition.

>Similar questions to these were posted to rec.autos several months
>ago.  I do not see how electrolytic protection (cathodic protection)
>is applicable to automobiles as they are not generally in a conductive
>or electrolytic environment.

Such environments exist in coastal areas and  near steel mills, also
in the frozen wasteland north of the Ohio River, where city streets
are covered with salt whenever there is snow.  It's rumored that car
dealers subsidize the application of the stuff.  :-)

Warshawsky/J.C. Whitney Auto Parts of Chicago used to sell blocks of
magnesium to be bolted to the undersides of cars to act as a
sacrificial metal to prevent corrosion of the steel.  I don't know how
well they worked.  Testing would be simple; suggest it next time a kid
needs a science-fair project.

--

Frank Reid
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) (10/20/88)

In article <7200017@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>In article <1450@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) writes:
>>Similar questions to these were posted to rec.autos several months
>>ago.  I do not see how electrolytic protection (cathodic protection)
>>is applicable to automobiles as they are not generally in a conductive
>>or electrolytic environment.
>
>Such environments exist in coastal areas and  near steel mills, also
>in the frozen wasteland north of the Ohio River, where city streets
>are covered with salt whenever there is snow.  It's rumored that car
>dealers subsidize the application of the stuff.  :-)
>
>Warshawsky/J.C. Whitney Auto Parts of Chicago used to sell blocks of
>magnesium to be bolted to the undersides of cars to act as a
>sacrificial metal to prevent corrosion of the steel.  I don't know how
>well they worked.  Testing would be simple; suggest it next time a kid
>needs a science-fair project.
>Frank Reid

Yes, corrosive environments are common as you describe.  However, to be
effective both the body metal and the sacrificial anode must be electrically
connected *as well be immersed in the electrolyte*.  I did not state this
explicitly enough in my original posting.

Corrosion will usually occur near where disimilar metals are in contact and
immersed in an electrolyte (galvanic corrosion).  Damp mud with road salt is
suitable as the electrolyte.  The problem with bolting sacrificial metal to
the undersides of cars is that a low resistivity electrolytic path must exist
between the sacrificial anode and the rest of the car.  If your car were
totally immersed in salt water, this would be a good protective system; other-
wise the high resistivity of the surface dirt would prevent the sacrificial
anode from having much effect.  This is why in moist air the zinc galvanizing
on metals can prevent a scratch through the zinc down to bare metal from
rusting, but cannot protect a large area several inches away from the zinc. In
a highly conductive electrolyte, the zinc will provide protection until it is
consumed.

To give some better numbers on this, zinc is rarely effective as a sacrificial
metal in environments with resistivities higher than about 1000 ohm-cm.
Magnesium can be used effectively up to 5000 ohm-cm.  Sea water, which is
quite corrosive, has a resistivity of about 15 to 35 ohm-cm, and clean, dry
sand has a resistivity of more than 1E6 ohm-cm.

The effectiveness of cathodic protection can be increased by providing add-
itional potential between the sacrificial anode and the metal to be protected.
This works fine where underground pipes must be protected. The anode is buried
near the pipe to be protected and is connected to the positive side of a power
supply. The negative side of the supply is connected to the pipe.  The soil
conductivity completes the path.

The absence of a low resistivity, uniform electrolytic path surrounding the
automobile is what makes this protection method unsuitable for cars.

J.C. Whitney sells lots of things of marginal effectiveness, however.  This
*would* be a good science fair project but waiting ten years or more for the
results to be conclusive might delay graduation a bit.  ;-)

Corrosion is enhanced in areas of mechanical stress, a phenomena well known to
the chemical industry.  And before anyone suggests stainless steel for auto
bodies, chlorides (salt) are very corosive to stainless.  The best thing is to
keep the moisture from getting to the metal with proper paints and undercoats.

                                                    Barry
                                       ...rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz