[sci.electronics] Xenon flash tube sources

steve@alberta.UUCP (Steve Sutphen) (10/17/88)

I am looking for sources for Xenon flash tubes (the kind that are used in
camera flashes and strobes).  I would like to find data sheets for a flash
tube that is in some existing equipment (I cannot see any identification
on the part at all) as well as a (cheap) supplier of tubes.  I looked in the
Efstonscience (the Edmund Scientific distributor for Canada) and could not
find such a device.  I have two projects that I would like this data for:
upgrading the flash level in a friends slide duplicator, and building some
experiments to try and freeze moving objects on film.  I want to understand
what the various parameters are (watt-seconds and duration of the flash) and
how to control them (can I just add a larger capacitor to an existing flash
to get more light out or would that burn up the tube?).
	thanks,
		steve.

cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) (10/17/88)

Hi Steve -

	Here are two sources:

		(1) RADIO SHACK:
			Part number 272-1145 - $3.95/ea
			Trigger: 4Kv, Anode: 200-300v
			(with a data sheet, but not amazingly helpful)

		(2) All Electronics	1-(800)-826-5432
		    P.O. Box 567
		    Van Nuys, CA  91408
			Part Number FLT-1 - 2 for $1.00

	Note a few things:  (1) Radio Shack will give you quantity discounts
of 10% on 12-29Z, 25% on 50-499Z.  (I'm not sure what kind of quantity
you're looking for, but this offer is good on all electronics parts they
sell).  (2) The tube from All Electronics is a straight tube, as opposed
to radio shack's traditional "U" shaped tube.  They did not offer any data
in their ad about the tube, but it has just an anode and a cathode (two
leads) instead of the usual three.

	I don't know how to use either of these tubes!!!  I posted to
sci.electronics last month about how to make use of them with a 12vdc power
source, and got *NO RESPONSES*.  If you can help me, get in touch by mail
(preferrably bitnet, as it's more reliable).  Thanks, and good luck, Steve.

/Christopher E. Piggott

cep4478@RITVAX.BITNET
..decvax!ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!rochester!ritcv!cep4478
(or whatever else works through rochester!ritcv)

In article <144@snaring.UUCP> steve@alberta.UUCP (Steve Sutphen) writes:
>I am looking for sources for Xenon flash tubes (the kind that are used in
>camera flashes and strobes)...

Radio Shack sells a couple of kinds of them, although without much in
the way of documentation (they're basically meant as replacements for
flashtubes in RS gadgets).
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (10/21/88)

From article <944@ritcv.UUCP>, by cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott):

> 		(1) RADIO SHACK:
> 			Part number 272-1145 - $3.95/ea
> 			Trigger: 4Kv, Anode: 200-300v
> 			(with a data sheet, but not amazingly helpful)

> 	I don't know how to use either of these tubes!!!  I posted to
> sci.electronics last month about how to make use of them with a 12vdc power
> source, and got *NO RESPONSES*.  If you can help me, get in touch by mail
> (preferrably bitnet, as it's more reliable).  Thanks, and good luck, Steve.

In my college days I did a lot of playing around with the
R.S. tubes.  I was using a power supply of around 160V dc
(This was just the 115V ac run through an isolation transformer
and rectified).  The flash capacitor was a big thing, a couple
of microfarads rated for 400V.  A prof. put me onto a cute
trick to get them to recharge to double the supply voltage:
they recharged through a series diode/inductor.  The inductor
kept the recharging current low until the gas had de-ionized,
while the diode kept the flash capacitor from discharging back
onto the supply capacitors.  The charging curve looked like
a half cycle of a sine wave.

Radio Shack also sells the little trigger transformer for these
guys.  I used an SCR to discharge a small capacitor through the
primary to get the kV needed to ionize the xenon.  My memory
is a little hazy here, but I think I needed a transistor to
inject enough current to trigger the SCR from ttl control signals.
I also used opto-isolators between the high voltage stuff and
the logic circuitry.

Things were great until I started trying to get the things to strobe
at 1kHz (don't ask why).  I ended up making my own inductors
to get the right L value for a 1 ms recharging time.  Unfortunately,
the inductors I made (magnet wire wound onto a half inch steel rod)
had too much resistance (a few hundred ohms), resulting in a non-neglible
charging current at the end of the flash.  What happened was that
these babies would strobe at 1kHz for a few seconds at which
point they turned into arc lamps- i.e. the gas just stayed ionized
and shorted out the power supply.  At this point they were HOT!

The moral was I wasted a lot of effort designing a fancy system
around a $3 flash tube for which I had no data sheets and couldn't
perform in the way I wanted it to.  I have a nice catalog from
EG&G describing their line of flashtubes, they do give specs,
but of course their stuff is expensive.  Impressive stuff, though,
like the 4 ft. water cooled flashtube used for aerial phtography...

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035