[sci.electronics] CD Format?

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (10/15/88)

Can anyone give me a reference for both the format
of a compact disc and the error correction algorithm?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (10/16/88)

A truly excellent article on the CD format, including a good discussion
of the digital coding methods used is

	Peek, J.B.H, "Communications Aspecs of the Compact Disk Digital
	Audio System" in IEEE Communications Magazine, Feb 1985. Vol 23 No 2

I recommend that you visit your local college or university's technical
library and make yourself a copy of this article.

In addition, our library catalog suggests some of the following may be
helpful:

Brewer, Bryan, 1946-
     The compact disc book : a complete guide to the digital sound of the future
   / Bryan Brewer and Edd Key.  1st ed.  San Diego : Harcourt Brace Jovanovich,
   c1987.

Clifford, Martin, 1910-
     The complete compact disc player / Martin Clifford.  Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
   : Prentice-Hall, c1987.

Compact disc-interactive : a designer's overview / edited by Philips
   International.  New York : McGraw-Hill, c1988.

Lenk, John D.
     Complete guide to compact disc (CD) player troubleshooting and repair /
   John D. Lenk.  Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, c1986.

McComb, Gordon.
     Compact disc player maintenance and repair / Gordon McComb and John Cook.
   1st ed.  Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Tab Books, c1987.

Myers, Patti.
     Publishing with CD-ROM : a guide to compact disc optical storage
   technologies for providers of publishing services / Patti Myers.  Westport,
   CT : Meckler Publishing Corp., 1986.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

In article <1185@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>In addition, our library catalog suggests some of the following may be
>helpful:

(many good books on CD deleted...)

Has anyone figured out how to make sense out of the digital output of
a CD player?  Are specs on the format available?  Any of the books
mentioned by the above referenced article cover the subject?

Lessee...  If it's serial, it must be at least 44.1*16bits = 705.6 K baud
minimum.  I would assume that at that rate it is synchronous (clock
included).

How long do you think it would take to hack a complete interface directly
to the DSP on a NeXT machine?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

tbb@drutx.ATT.COM (Tom Barber) (10/27/88)

In article <2296@cadovax.UUCP>, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

> Lessee...  If it's serial, it must be at least 44.1*16bits = 705.6 K baud

To begin with, there are two channels, each delivering 16 bit samples at
44+ KHz.

In addition, your use of the term "baud" is not correct.  The Baud rate is
the rate of state transitions.  This is the same as bps only if each
state transition (shift in phase/frequency/amplitude) conveys only a single
bit.  If, for example, each state transition carries two bits (which would
require four distinct state values), then the Baud rate is 1/2 the bps.

> Keith Doyle
> #  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

						Tom Barber