[sci.electronics] Heat/Cool Thermostats

duane@cg-atla.UUCP (Andrew Duane) (11/01/88)

My recently purchased house has a rather interesting thermostat
arrangement installed by the previous owner. First, I should
mention that they do NOT control any furnaces. They are used to
switch on fans that sit in the heating ducts to push either
stove-heated or foundation-cooled air up from the basement.

The thermostats (JADE brand) have two switches: auto/continuous,
and heat/off/cool. They also have a thermostat element that
makes/breaks contact at the set point. My question is, does
anyone know what the switch settings actually DO in terms of
opening and closing connections? The two thermostats are wired
in series (apparently), and I am stumped as to how to make them
turn the fans off when the basement is no longer hotter (on
HEAT setting) or cooler (on COOL setting) than the upstairs.
The internals are sealed up, and it would be real pain to get
at them. I can see the final wires coming out the end of the
unit downstairs that controls the power relay.

Any help with the diagrams would be appreciated.

(sorry for the possibly inappropraite cross-posting to
sci-electronics, but I wanted to try any leads ...)

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-658-5600 X5993  h:(603)-434-7934
Compugraphic Corp.			 decvax!cg-atla!duane
200 Ballardvale St.		       ulowell/ \laidback
Wilmington, Mass. 01887		   cbosgd!ima/   \cgeuro
Mail Stop 200II-3-5S		     ism780c/     \wizvax

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's breaking in the new help.

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-658-5600 X5993  h:(603)-434-7934
Compugraphic Corp.			 decvax!cg-atla!duane
200 Ballardvale St.		       ulowell/ \laidback
Wilmington, Mass. 01887		   cbosgd!ima/   \cgeuro
Mail Stop 200II-3-5S		     ism780c/     \wizvax

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's breaking in the new help.

0707dab@whuts.UUCP (00707B-WHITE) (11/01/88)

Regarding the people whose porch caved in - was a house inspection
performed prior to the sale of the house?  We were required to have
a house inspection prior to the purchase of both our houses ( is this
only required by law in NJ?).  Depending on the company performing the
inspection various items may slip thru the *cracks* but it would point
out in writing the major defects to both parties involved in the sale.

Personally, I feel the previous owners should pay something towards
the repair - but that is only my $.02 worth.

Good luck which ever way it turns out!

Sue H.

Brad_Tiger_Houser@cup.portal.com (11/04/88)

Andrew Duane writes:
>The internals are sealed up, and it would be real pain to get
>at them. I can see the final wires coming out the end of the
>unit downstairs that controls the power relay.
>
>Any help with the diagrams would be appreciated.
        Here is how my thermostat functions:
          Auto: Turn on and off fan when:
            Temp > Setting (Cool Selected)
            Temp < Setting (Hot Selected)
          Cont: Fan Continuously Runs (Depending on Fan switch)
          Hot: Heater control (in winter: turn on heater if temp is too low)
          Cool: A/C control (in summer: turn on cooler if temp is too high)
          Off: All systems Off (Fan never comes on)
Brad Houser