[sci.electronics] Serial to parallel interface on a Mac

pa1611@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1611) (11/02/88)

Hello there Hardware gurus !!

I've got a problem... I need to convert serial data (asynchronous) to
a synchronous parallel data.  The source of serial data is generated
from the modem port from my MAC 512KE.  (*note from a 9-pin RS422A
differential driver )

	* How do I convert a differential signal (RS422A) to a TTL compatible
	  signal ?  (do I use sn75175 ? 26L32 ?)

	* Okay, to convert asynch serial data to parallel, what is
	the best suited chip to use ?  I have considered:

		Motorola's  MC6850
		General Instruments (or Microchip Tech's)  AY-1013A

Speed is not critical because I'm interfacing a speech chip that
doesn't require a fast data transfer rate !!!

					thanx,

					Ken  Torii
					pa1611@sdcc15.ucsd.edu

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/07/88)

In article <678@sdcc15.UUCP> pa1611@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1611) writes:
[desire for Mac serial<->parallel conversion]
>Speed is not critical because I'm interfacing a speech chip that
>doesn't require a fast data transfer rate !!!
Just curious, why not use the Mac itself to do your speech synthesis?
This would save you quite a bit of hardware work.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (11/08/88)

In article <3499@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>In article <678@sdcc15.UUCP> pa1611@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1611) writes:
>[desire for Mac serial<->parallel conversion]
>>Speed is not critical because I'm interfacing a speech chip that
>Just curious, why not use the Mac itself to do your speech synthesis?
>This would save you quite a bit of hardware work.

Not to mention that the (albeit crude) text to speech algorithms for the Mac
are contained in a piece of FREE system software called MacInTalk.
Pretty slick, eh?  There IS some reason that the Mac is a bit more expensive
than the typical clone:  It does a whole lot more!  (But I guess I'm biased!)
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!