[sci.electronics] need electroluminesent power supply

doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) (11/09/88)

Extracted-News: sjs sci.electronics:716

In article <1176@microsoft.UUCP> gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I have an LCD which is backlit by an electroluminescent panel.  These
>things take a few milliamps of AC in the 60 to 80 V range, 60 hz to
>400 hz, typically.
>
>This is part of a battery backed up system.  I can brute force design
>a 12V DC to 70 VAC convertor, but it's crude and complex: an oscillator
>driving a voltage doubler chain followed by 2 complementary pairs to
>couple the panel's leads to the + and - DC, alternately, producing
>AC square wave.
>
>A small transformer would be better, and would guarantee true AC, but
>I'm having troubles locating an appropriate one.

Yes and NO, A small transformer will enable you to build a simpler more
reliable circuit but it will give you less light output. An EL device is
nothing more than a light emitting capacitor. The two factors determining
the intensity of the light output are dV/dT and F. A square wave gives you
the maximum dV/dT.

I did some consulting work at a company manufacturing EL displays, and one
of my tasks was to build a hand-held demo box. Being battery operated I
had to play some games to extend the battery life beyond 5 min. I drove
the panel with a small pot-core x-former, pulsing it to about 200v then
letting it ring down to about 80v [if you think it out and get your phasing
right you create a very nice tank circuit between the seconary of the
x-former and the EL panel]. As for the transformer I couldn't find one off
the shelf any where so I had to make my own. I found that the best one was
a pot-core made out of 3C8 with somthing like 10 turns ct of 28ag in the
center followed by 200-250 turns of 32ag on the outside.

As for driving the primary I used one of those nifty all-in-one PWM chips
( IP3526 ?) it allows you to set the pulse width, frequency, and has extra
op amps so you can monitor the core for saturation.

>I've heard that there are small power supplies designed to drive these
>devices - DC to AC convertors of appropriate voltage and current.  Does
>anyone have any pointers on these devices and where they might be obtained?
>
>	thanks
>
>	gordon letwin
>	microsoft
Experiments should be reproducible - They should fail in the same way.

DISCLAIMER: These are MY opinions and not necessarily those of my employer.