[sci.electronics] need electroluminescent power supply

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) (11/08/88)

I have an LCD which is backlit by an electroluminescent panel.  These
things take a few milliamps of AC in the 60 to 80 V range, 60 hz to
400 hz, typically.

This is part of a battery backed up system.  I can brute force design
a 12V DC to 70 VAC convertor, but it's crude and complex: an oscillator
driving a voltage doubler chain followed by 2 complementary pairs to
couple the panel's leads to the + and - DC, alternately, producing
AC square wave.

A small transformer would be better, and would guarantee true AC, but
I'm having troubles locating an appropriate one.

I've heard that there are small power supplies designed to drive these
devices - DC to AC convertors of appropriate voltage and current.  Does
anyone have any pointers on these devices and where they might be obtained?

	thanks

	gordon letwin
	microsoft

magore@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Mike Gore, Institute Computer Research - ICR) (11/09/88)

Hi,

In article <1176@microsoft.UUCP> gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I have an LCD which is backlit by an electroluminescent panel.
>I've heard that there are small power supplies designed to drive these
>devices - DC to AC convertors of appropriate voltage and current.  Does
>anyone have any pointers on these devices and where they might be obtained?
>	gordon letwin

Try	Endicott Research Group. Inc
	2601 Wayne STreet. P.O. Box 269, Endicott,
	NY 13760
	607-754-9187

They have a series of electroluminescent drivers called
"Smart Force" . I know *nothing* at all about the company
but I did noticed the add in EMM ( Electronic Engineers Master Catolog)
Volume D, 86-87, Page D-1730. EMM has many other sources listed
as well - you might check them out. EMM is published by Hearst
Business  Communications, Inc . Try (516) 222-2500 in NY,
(408) 249-6800 CA, etc ...

Good luck,

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (11/09/88)

In article <1176@microsoft.UUCP>, gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
> I have an LCD which is backlit by an electroluminescent panel.  These
> things take a few milliamps of AC in the 60 to 80 V range, 60 hz to
> 400 hz, typically.
>    [stuff deleted here]
> A small transformer would be better, and would guarantee true AC, but
> I'm having troubles locating an appropriate one.
>
> I've heard that there are small power supplies designed to drive these
> devices - DC to AC convertors of appropriate voltage and current.  Does
> anyone have any pointers on these devices and where they might be obtained?
>
> 	thanks
>
> 	gordon letwin
> 	microsoft

Gordon, I have used one of these beasties. It came from Densitron Corporation.
They sell 6 different types, which put out a range of 34-110 MA and 67-86
volts, some running at 410 HZ up to 750 HZ. I paid about 10.00 dollars for
mine, and it runs a backlight on a 2X40 character display. They also sell
displays. Anyway, to get more info on these, call Densitron.
    By the way, they sent me a complete little folder showing all there
small lcd products, and application notes. I really liked the way all there
stuff works. Good luck!

    Densitron Corporation
    2540 West 237th ST.
    Torrence, CA. 90505 USA
    213-530-3530

    Part number that I am using is: das5v7 (5 volt input)

 /* I am not associated in any way with densitron other than being a
    satisfied customer. */

    Greg Garner
    gmg@hcx.uucp     path:  ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg
    501-442-4847

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip Vogel) (11/09/88)

 > From: gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin)
 > Date: 7 Nov 88 18:36:37 GMT

 > I have an LCD which is backlit by an electroluminescent panel.  These
 > things take a few milliamps of AC in the 60 to 80 V range, 60 hz to
 > 400 hz, typically.
 >
 > I've heard that there are small power supplies designed to drive these
 > devices - DC to AC convertors of appropriate voltage and current.  Does
 > anyone have any pointers on these devices and where they might be obtained?

I have a sample from:

        Hantronix, Inc.
        250 Santa Ana Court
        Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
        (408) 736-3191
        FAX: (408)749-0477

It's about 1 inch square, and costs about 3 - 5 dollars. I'm sure you could
get your local sales rep to get you a couple of samples. These things are also
available from Sanyo, among others.

 --
Phillip M. Vogel - Bartal Design Group, Inc. - Englewood, NJ
DOMAIN: phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM   UUCP: killer!crlabs!bartal!phillip