[sci.electronics] Distance measuring using lasers

etxbrfa@kklm01.ericsson.se (11/01/88)

How to measure distance with lasers?
I've been thinking a lot about the problem, and my conclution is:

  It's impossible  (at least with submillimeter accuracy)

Still it's done. And it's done by cheap devices.

The technology of today must be pushed far beyond it's capabilities. The
speed of light is far to high.
To measure the time, would be simple, if the accuracy of the electronics
were good enough, but it isn't.
My thought is that you pulse the laser with an accurate frequency (say
1.0000000Mhz). If you start another clock at 0.9999990Mhz at the very same
time, the difference it time between the clocks would increase by 1ps every
cycle (an accuracy of 0.15mm). The problem is that you cannot get such accurate
clocks, and to start them excactly on the same time (difference less than
0.1ps). Even if you could, there would be other problems.
Suppose the problem with time measurement is solved. How can the laser-beam
be pulsed at 1Mhz with edge accuracy less then 0.1ps. Impossible again.
To light the laser takes at least a few micro seconds, and time varies.
Then you could ofcource have a constant beam, that is pulsed afterwards.
How? A mechanical solution is out of question, so is Liquid chrystals. I
don't have any idea at all.
Now suppose that problem is solved to. Then we have the problem with detecting
the reflex. A photo diode or transistor, is out of question, far too slow.
And even if they weren't, the logic to take care of the signal from them
would have to long (and unreliable) setup time.

I don't think there are more problems (at least not as tough as these basic
ones). But unfortunately, the logics of problems is an OR-function.

Am I wrong? Apparently I am, because these devices does excist. But what
is wrong. I can't se any errors in the statements above. All of you who
can see errors, please E-mail. I'd be most grateful to know.

SNAIL: ERICSSON TELECOM         Vox humana:  (+46) 8 - 719 62 52
       Bjoern Fahller           Fax machina: (+46) 8 - 740 28 34
       KK/ETX/TT/MLG
       S-126 25 STOCKHOLM      "Inside every problem, there are at least
       SWEDEN                   two other problems, struggling to get out"

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (11/05/88)

>How to measure distance with lasers?
>I've been thinking a lot about the problem, and my conclution is:

>  It's impossible  (at least with submillimeter accuracy)

>Still it's done. And it's done by cheap devices...

>SNAIL: ERICSSON TELECOM         Vox humana:  (+46) 8 - 719 62 52
>       Bjoern Fahller           Fax machina: (+46) 8 - 740 28 34
>       KK/ETX/TT/MLG
>       S-126 25 STOCKHOLM      "Inside every problem, there are at
least
>       SWEDEN                   two other problems, struggling to get
out"

Light travels about one foot per nanosecond, so a laser rangefinder
with a 1' resolution would need a 500-MHz timebase if it works by
measuring the time it takes for the light to return from the target.

Laser rangefinders which measures in micro-millimeters over ranges of
100m or less use optical interferometry techniques.

For longer distances, as in surveying, one way to do it precisely
without direct counting is the same principle used in time-domain
reflectometers for inspecting transmission lines.  It's a sampling
technique, a form of correlation; simple concept but hard to
describe-- I saw a good explanation in the instruction book for
a Tektronix sampling oscilloscope.

Another way to do it, used in some surveying instruments, is to
transmit a continuous light beam from a solid-state laser (infrared),
which is modulated with a sinewave RF carrier having precisely
controlled frequency, say, 10 MHz, which has a wavelength of 30
meters.  The receiver has a phase detector which compares outgoing and
incoming phase of the carrier. The same solution occurs each
wavelength, so the instrument uses other frequencies to solve the
ambiguity.  It's all taken care of by the on-board computer, which
measures the distance several times and indicates an error if the
variance is too great (which could be caused by target movement, air
turbulence, etc.).

Before lasers and solid-state stuff, there were vacuum-tube microwave
devices for measuring long distances in surveying. They were manually-
operated, some with internal oscilloscopes.  A transponder was placed
at the distant point. Operation was tedious, followed by laborious
mathematical data reduction (but much faster and easier than measuring
several miles with a tape).

--

Frank Reid
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

ajdenner@athena.mit.edu (Alexander J Denner) (11/05/88)

In article <113@ericom.ericsson.se> etxbrfa@kklm01.ericsson.se writes:
>How to measure distance with lasers?
>I've been thinking a lot about the problem, and my conclution is:
>
>  It's impossible  (at least with submillimeter accuracy)
>
>Still it's done. And it's done by cheap devices.

Laser interferometry is used to measure changes in distance very accurately.
Interferometers just watch the interference between the incoming and outgoing
beams.  Thus, you can tell everytime a phase shift occurs.  If the object
moves, the path becomes longer and the interference pattern changes.

Laser rangefinders use a modulated lower frequency signal.  Thus you can
tell everytime a phase shift occurs.  The wavelength of light, used in the
interferometer, is 4000-7000 Ang., where the wavelenth of the carrier is much
larger (1-100m (?)).

Alexander J. Denner                    ajdenner@athena.mit.edu
234 Baker House, 362 Memorial Drive    mit-eddie!mit-athena!ajdenner
Cambridge, MA 02139                    ajdenner%athena@mitmva.mit.edu

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (11/06/88)

In article <113@ericom.ericsson.se>, etxbrfa@kklm01.ericsson.se writes:
> How to measure distance with lasers?
> I've been thinking a lot about the problem, and my conclution is:

>   It's impossible  (at least with submillimeter accuracy)

> Still it's done. And it's done by cheap devices.

> The technology of today must be pushed far beyond it's capabilities. The
> speed of light is far to high.

	Naaaah.  Try amplitude modulation and a timer.

	Actually, it is pretty trivial to build a stable phase meter
in the 1-100 mHz range with an accuracy of 0.1 degree. Let's just say
(for nice numbers) that an AM modulated laser beam at 100 mHz has a
wavelength of 10 feet. With 0.1 degree resolution, this works out to
(3600 divisions/10 feet) or 30 divisions to the inch.  Naturally, you
can put a sychronising pulse in there on every so-many cycles of the
modulating frequency to eliminate the ambiguity of multiple wavelengths.

	For your run-of-the mill cheap laser distance meter, I would
think that 1/30 inch would be quite acceptable for many applications.
No doubt there are techniques which use interferometry with, say, a
small frequency synthesizer and null detector (or, for that matter,
plain old interferometry) to get yeee-haaa accuracy.

York David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

cjc@praxis.co.uk (Chris Clee) (11/09/88)

In article <113@ericom.ericsson.se> etxbrfa@kklm01.ericsson.se writes:
>How to measure distance with lasers?
>I've been thinking a lot about the problem, and my conclution is:
>
>  It's impossible  (at least with submillimeter accuracy)
>
>Still it's done. And it's done by cheap devices.
>
>Am I wrong? Apparently I am, because these devices does excist. But what
>is wrong. I can't se any errors in the statements above. All of you who
>can see errors, please E-mail. I'd be most grateful to know.

Laser light is coherent; that is, it is all of one frequency.
If the laser tape measures operate in the way that I would think
that they do, they would split a beam into two parts. One will be
routed internally to an opto sensor. The other passes out of the
aperture of the instument, strikes the object to be measured and
reflects back into the instument and onto the same optosensor.
Where these two beams combine, there will be a path difference
between them. This path difference will vary as the distance to
the object varies. The path difference between the beams causes
interference. So as the instrument is moved towards or away from
an object, the path difference will vary and produce alternately
constructive and destructive interference at the opto sensor.
Hence the instrument has a resolution of one half of a wavelength
maximum.

This is just a bit of Physicist's lateral thinking : I'm not absolutely
sure that that's how it's done, so please flame me if I'm wrong - I'd
be interested to know how they work myself - but the "timing the beam"
idea seems a bit unlikely although scientists DO measure variations in the
orbit of the Moon by bouncing short laser pulses off the roof of some lander
on the surface !

Chris.

darrellm@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Darrell McGinnis) (11/12/88)

One technique might be related to measuring the speed of light over a fixed
distance. This technique modulates the light beam and measurees the
PHASE difference between the outgoing beam and the incomming beam.

Resolution depends on the wave-length of the modulation frequency.

Maybe a sweeped modulation would give good results at both extremes
(low freq for gross distance/ high freq for finer resolution)
.