[sci.electronics] RF preamp techniques

cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (11/30/88)

Greetings
	I have an arbitrary question regarding RF preamps, splitters, and
combiners.  Does the following look feasible?
                           ______________
 _____                    | GaAs FET amp |
 \ | /   __________       | 400-450 Mhz  |       __________
   V    |   3 dB   |------|______________|------|   3 dB   |
   |____| splitter |       _______________      | combiner |----> to receiver
        |__________|------| GaAs FET amp |------|__________|
                          | 450-500 Mhz  |
                          |______________|

	Would there be too much noise introduced by the splitter and combiner
to be of any use?  Or is it better to select one amp and operate it at 450Mhz
without the splitter/combiner?  If I use ONE amp, is it possible for an amp to
have a negative dB effect (i.e. attenuation) at the extremes?

Example : if I wished to monitor two signals at 425Mhz and 475Mhz would:
          1) the above diagram using two amps having a noise figure of 0.5dB
             and some gain X dB be better
      OR is
          2) one amp with a 400-500Mhz range, but higher NF and lower gain
             better.  (tuned to center of 450Mhz)

In short my question is : What do you do if you want to pre-amplify a wide
frequency range with high gain and low noise, but DO NOT have an amp with such
a wide BW available.

Cliff Yamamoto
Internet :  cyamamot@castor.usc.edu   castor!cyamamot@oberon.usc.edu
            cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu    cyamamot%nunki.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (12/01/88)

In article <2038@nunki.usc.edu>, cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> Greetings
> 	I have an arbitrary question regarding RF preamps, splitters, and
> combiners.  Does the following look feasible?
>                            ______________
>  _____                    | GaAs FET amp |
>  \ | /   __________       | 400-450 Mhz  |       __________
>    V    |   3 dB   |------|______________|------|   3 dB   |
>    |____| splitter |       _______________      | combiner |----> to receiver
>         |__________|------| GaAs FET amp |------|__________|
>                           | 450-500 Mhz  |
>                           |______________|

	Feasable and doable, but probably not as good as a well
designed 400-500 mHz amplifier.

	You should be able to build a reasonable GaAs preamp
with an 0.5 - 0.7 dB noise figure with conventional microwave
transistors. The first splitter will have an insertion loss
associated with it (-3 dB); add it to your noise figure cal-
culation. That signal is gone **forever**.  As long as your
 amp is quieter than 3.5 dB, the single amp is better.

	Also, without good design, there will be differing
propagation delays through the two amplifiers. When the
two signals finally do sum in the other combiner, you
may find marked gain reduction for some frequencies and
excessive gain for others.

	If you **must** listen to 425 and 475 mHz, you
could do separate amplifiers for each frequency, and switch
between them. This will give some improvement, due to lower
noise bandwidth and the ability to obtain a conjugate impedance
match for the antenna system at the amplifier input.

	The broadband amp stinks in one respect, though;
if you have a strong RF source nearby (say, a TV station
on channel 18) it will be overloaded. Conventional slotted
line tecniques can null out that junk, though.

	There are numerous other considerations, but the
fact that there is attenuation in the input of the first
amplifier simply adds that attenuation to the first stage
noise figure.

York David Anthony
WKTD Wilmington, NC

dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) (12/01/88)

I wouldn't recommend a 3dB splitter before either preamp.
If you do this, you are automatically degrading the system
noise figure by the 3dB loss of the splitter- same as if you had
3dB of cable loss between the antenna and the preamp.

I believe the answer is to build (or purchase) a wider
bandwidth preamp. Avantek has an application note describing
a GaAsFET preamp with about a 0.4dB NF and about 20dB gain
which has an untuned input (matched to 50 ohms) using the
ATF10135 device and which will have excellent performance
over AT LEAST 100 MHz. Check it out.

Put the preamp as close as possible to the antenna and
then run about as much coax down to the receiver as you want-
you'll have plenty of excess gain. This eliminates all the
splitters and combiners. In fact you could put a splitter
after the preamp and use it to drive a couple of receivers
and still have enough gain for both.

Hope this helps.              73    Dave     KD5RO

dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) (12/01/88)

I forgot to add that the Avantek preamp circuit is specified
from 400-500 MHz. They also, in the same app. note, talk
about designs for the 900 MHz and 1300 MHz bands.

Also, the reason you don't want the preamp after the lossy
splitter (or cable) is because the system noise figure is
primarily determined by the gain and noise figure of the
first stage. In this case, the first stage has a 3dB NF, and
-3dB gain. Running the noise figure cascade on this system,
with a 0.4dB preamp after the splitter, will yield a noise
figure cascade somewhere in the 2dB range.

After the preamp, you can play a lot of games,for the same
reason- the first stage determines the overall noise figure-
assuming the preamp has enough stage gain to overcome the
loss and noise of the following stage(s). Therefore, if you
have a preamp with a 0.4dB NF and 20dB gain at the antenna,
you can overcome a lot of loss after the preamp and still
retain most of that excellent performance.

I think I got it all out this time.

73  Dave     KD5RO

dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) (12/07/88)

In article <23212@cci632.UUCP>, dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) writes:

> I forgot to add that the Avantek preamp circuit is specified
> from 400-500 MHz. They also, in the same app. note, talk
> about designs for the 900 MHz and 1300 MHz bands.
>
> Also, the reason you don't want the preamp after the lossy
> splitter (or cable) is because the system noise figure is
> primarily determined by the gain and noise figure of the
> first stage. In this case, the first stage has a 3dB NF, and
> -3dB gain. Running the noise figure cascade on this system,
> with a 0.4dB preamp after the splitter, will yield a noise
> figure cascade somewhere in the 2dB range.
>
> After the preamp, you can play a lot of games,for the same
> reason- the first stage determines the overall noise figure-
> assuming the preamp has enough stage gain to overcome the
> loss and noise of the following stage(s). Therefore, if you
> have a preamp with a 0.4dB NF and 20dB gain at the antenna,
> you can overcome a lot of loss after the preamp and still
> retain most of that excellent performance.
>
> I think I got it all out this time.
>
> 73  Dave     KD5RO

Boy, sometimes I REALLY do it!!!  It was pointed out
to me that the noise figure cascade as described in the second
paragraph of this follow-up is incorrect. IT SURE IS!!!
The correct system noise figure for the scenario described
above is actually (by my now questionable calculations) 3.3dB.
It isn't possible for the system, as described, to have a
noise figure lower than the noise contribution of the first
stage, and since the second stage isn't totally noiseless,
it also has to be factored in (which I did do, just wrong).
In the cascade formula, the gain of the first stage is required
in the denominator of the part of the equation relating to the
second stage contribution. I did include it, but as a decibel
expression, not as a RATIO- since the equation works in raios,
this really changes the result!!!  As I said, sometimes I
really do it.

Bottom line is, put the preamp at the antenna and you won't
have any problems. 20% bandwidth is no problem to achieve
and you should keep an excellent system noise figure across
the 400-500 MHz range.

I hope this is finally right.  (THANX GLEN FOR THE EMAIL
POINTING THIS OUT)

73   Dave    KD5RO