[sci.electronics] Mouse cord nuisance from lap

die@cpoint.UUCP (David I. Emery) (11/20/88)

In article <1227@microsoft.UUCP> michaelw@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Winser) writes:
>In article <1405@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>>I'd like to see a microwave or infrared operated mouse that used
>>doppler shift or some form of interferometry for sensing motion
>>over an arbitrary surface.  I suppose this could be done with an
>

>I do think getting rid of the rodent's tail would be very nice, it's
>always getting tangled up with my keyboard and monitors etc.

	A boring bit of hardware suggestion.  IR is subject to shadowing by
the users hand and rf links in VHF or UHF or low microwave are expensive
(because of the need to handle strong nearby signals) and there are only limited
channels available anyway.  How about plain old induction with the
mouse transmitting somewhere in the vlf or lf range on a narrow band
fsk'd carrier (say 180 khz +- 500 hz) to a simple loop antenna in the mousepad
(and nearby for those who want to use the mouse on any surface).  A more complex
but interference resistant modulation might be some form of direct sequence
spread spectrum similar to what has been tried experimentally to send data
on carrier current over power lines.

	Unfortunately this implies a battery powered mouse unless the
pickup antenna loop could also serve to create a lf ac magnetic field strong
enough to power the mouse.

	One advantage of this is that, at least with a mousepad mouse,
the coupling would be uniformly strong near the mousepad and weak to the
mousepad on the system at the next desk.  RF linked systems and especially
optical systems might have real problems with multiple mice in an office
area or terminal room due to mutual interference.

--
	David I. Emery   Clearpoint Research Corp.
	99 South Street, Hopkinton Ma. 01748  1-508-435-2000

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (11/30/88)

In article <1381@cpoint.UUCP> die@cpoint.UUCP (David I. Emery) writes:
>	Unfortunately this implies a battery powered mouse unless the
>pickup antenna loop could also serve to create a lf ac magnetic field strong
>enough to power the mouse.

I would think a field strong enough to power a mouse might not be too good a
thing to have on your desktop if you strew floppies about like I do!

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/01/88)

Hmm, using inductuive coupling to power the mouse...  Where I used
to work, we had a big Summagraphics tablet.  It was pretty old, and
used a pretty strong magnetic field to scan the tablet.  We had
lots of incidents where poeple would forget and discover that their
DEC RX-50 8" disks they had thrown carelessly onto the tablet were
wiped clean.

Now, of course, the optical disk used in the NeXT system has a
magnetic coercivity much, much higer than the average floppy
diskette, so this is not likely to be much of a problem.

I don't mind the cord too much, but I sure would like to be able to
get rid of the mechanical wheels and/or the mouse plate.  You might
be able to make a mouse with interferometry techniques as are used
in fiberoptic avionic gyro systems.  But then, the mouse would
probably be kind of big and cost as much as the rest of the
computer.. Give the engineers a few more years.

--Bill

return mail path:  ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (12/01/88)

In article <1381@cpoint.UUCP> die@cpoint.UUCP (David I. Emery) writes:
[Stuff about need for tail-less mice with infra-red or microwave
communications omited.]
>How about plain old induction with the
>mouse transmitting somewhere in the vlf or lf range on a narrow band
>fsk'd carrier (say 180 khz +- 500 hz)...

Better pitch that away from a band which is used for public broadcast
services in many places outside North America.  But then, Jobs has said
that he has no plans whatever to export the cube...
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

In article <1425@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>I don't mind the cord too much, but I sure would like to be able to
>get rid of the mechanical wheels and/or the mouse plate...

The original Xerox optical mouse did not require a mouse pad -- it would
work reasonably well on any surface with ample contrasty detail.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) (12/03/88)

Don't forget the worst problem with getting rid of the cord.  The
mouse is now not connected to anything.  I don't know what kind of
problems would be seen in a university setting, but I have seen
things "wander" around if they are not heavy or tied down.  One day
the optical mouse pad for our Sun was found across the production
floor under a Machintosh mouse.  Something to think about.

wgb@inuxj.UUCP (Walter Burton) (12/06/88)

> In article <1425@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >I don't mind the cord too much, but I sure would like to be able to
> >get rid of the mechanical wheels and/or the mouse plate...

I knew there was a reason track balls always seemed attractive.
Think about it.  Most track balls are small as a mouse or ones can be
found that small.  Track balls don't need a pad or surface and with
som velcro or double face tape can attach to a keyboard.  Not bulky
and doesn't have to be a permanent mount and no extra surface needed.
Now if some keyboard folks are out there how about putting trackballs
into the keyboard.

*My .signature is not working.  Hand built by me  Walt Burton.  *
* Live from Indianapolis, in the heart of the SILICON CORNFIELD.*
* Walt Burton   AT&T Indianapolis  (317)-845-3665  !inuxj!wgb   *
By the way is this making it out of Indianapolis?

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (12/07/88)

In article <342@inuxj.UUCP> wgb@inuxj.UUCP (Walter Burton) writes:
>I knew there was a reason track balls always seemed attractive.

Yes, indeed, trackballs are wonderful. On my HP9000s350 (aka Bobcat),
I replaced my HP 3 button mouse with an HP 3 button trackball (P.N.
M1309A) and I love it! Either or both plug right into the HP-HIL
(human intrface loop) bus.

I no longer have to take my eyes off the screens to locate the mouse,
and I find that hand-eye coordination is improved for most windowing
operations such as cut/paste, boinking on buttons, scrolling
scrollbars, resizing/moving windows, etc. With a trackball, you can
control the sprite position with much precision by "letting your
fingers do the walking" whereas with a mouse, you must move your wrist
and arm too. The muscles controlling the latter have far less
resolution and control than one's fingers. Finally I often have to
move the sprite large distances when I need to zip between the two X11
displays on my system: with a trackball, that's easy, you just spin
the ball and stop it when the sprite reaches it's destination. With a
mouse, you have to drag it across the mouse pad, stop, pick up the
mouse, move it to the other side of the mouse pad, drag it again, etc etc etc.
A very tiresome, unintuitive and unnecessary set of actions.

I've also put the trackball on the floor and used it as a "football".
Unfortunately my foot-eye coordination ain't so hot, and it's
difficult to keep your toe on a button while rolling the ball.
However, in that position, you can als ouse it as a foot massager,
like the ones found in yuppie new age stores, next to the orgone
regenerators and mystik chakra fluffers.

-- Niels.

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (12/07/88)

In article <342@inuxj.UUCP> wgb@inuxj.UUCP (Walter Burton) writes:
>I knew there was a reason track balls always seemed attractive.
>Now if some keyboard folks are out there how about putting trackballs
>into the keyboard.

Trackballs are indeed very nice devices for entering xy coordinates.
Unfortunately, the mouse has one big advantage: the ability to move and
click buttons at the same time with one hand.  This would be difficult on
a trackball.  Too bad a mouse doesn't have momentum like a trackball.

 ^	Forrest Cook   (The preceding comments were my Opinions)	 ^
/|\									/|\
/|\	  {husc6 | rutgers | ames | gatech}!ncar!stout!cook		/|\
/|\	{uunet | ucbvax | allegra | cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook	/|\

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (12/07/88)

In article <342@inuxj.UUCP> wgb@inuxj.UUCP (Walter Burton) writes:
>Now if some keyboard folks are out there how about putting trackballs
>into the keyboard.

Already been tried -- The company went belly-up (apparently they were
a couple of years ahead of their time).  As for the NAME of the company,
I can't remember it to save my life (but it WAS a really good keyboard,
just ask Jerry Pournelle).

>*My .signature is not working.  Hand built by me  Walt Burton.  *
>* Live from Indianapolis, in the heart of the SILICON CORNFIELD.*
>* Walt Burton   AT&T Indianapolis  (317)-845-3665  !inuxj!wgb   *
>By the way is this making it out of Indianapolis?

My .sig has never worked -- it's always been done by hand (kind of) and
just "cat'ed" into vi.  Perhaps it's best that they aren't working, as I
understand it, whatever programs they use to read news, NONE of them use
.sigs right.

Oh vell...

Please reply via EMAIL!  I read the net, but it sometimes interferes with
school.  If I get any really interesting stuff, I'll summarise and post.

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle
  OR: ...!texsun!uokmax!blknowle
ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522

Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligence of any sort. :-)

In article <2699@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels Mayer) writes:
>... With a trackball, you can
>control the sprite position with much precision by "letting your
>fingers do the walking" whereas with a mouse, you must move your wrist
>and arm too...   I often have to
>move the sprite large distances...
>d with a trackball, that's easy, you just spin
>the ball and stop it when the sprite reaches it's destination. With a
>mouse, you have to drag it across the mouse pad, stop, pick up the
>mouse, move it to the other side of the mouse pad, drag it again, etc etc etc.
>A very tiresome, unintuitive and unnecessary set of actions.

Complain to your mouse supplier, he's botched the design.  He's got it in
excessively low gear.  High-resolution mice largely eliminate these problems.
--

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (12/10/88)

In article <1988Dec7.180813.17915@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <2699@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels Mayer) writes:
>>...With a
>>mouse, you have to drag it across the mouse pad, stop, pick up the
>>mouse, move it to the other side of the mouse pad, drag it again, etc.
>>A very tiresome, unintuitive and unnecessary set of actions.

>Complain to your mouse supplier, he's botched the design.  He's got it in
>excessively low gear.  High-resolution mice largely eliminate these problems.

Most manufacturers of mice don't _really_ understand what's part of a good
mouse interface.  The best mice are the original 'low-speed' mice used in
conjunction with a mouse driver that provides variable scaling based on the
speed of the mouse.  The low-speed mice used plain are a pain to cover any
distance with, and the high-speed mice are a pain to position precisely.

In other words, fix it in software!  A snap of the wrist gets it in the right
neighborhood, and about the same travel again (but slower) homes it in.  A
really good driver will let you set the scaling to a comfortable level for
each individual.