[sci.electronics] PixelVision Camera

ccm022@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000070487;300;9999;94;ccm) (12/09/88)

To: rkh@mtune.UUCP
Subject: Re: Technical Info on Fisher-Price Camcorder??
Newsgroups: misc.wanted,sci.electronics,rec.video
Bcc:

In article <7883@mtune.ATT.COM> you write:
>In article <246@ultb.UUCP> glz5913@ultb.UUCP (G.L. Zeiger (713ICS)) writes:
>>In article <2433@phred.UUCP> artm@phred.UUCP (Curmudgeon) writes:
>>>....  He's doing some experimentation with video
>>>recording techniques and would like to get some information about
>>>the Fisher-Price monochrome camcorder.
>>
>>Is this for real?  Does this Fisher-Price camcorder *ACTUALLY* work?
>>I thought Fisher-Price made toys (ie. things that sort of resembled
>>actual items [like cameras, projectors, etc] but didn't really work
>>like the "adult" versions) for real small kids.  Or have I been paying
>>tooooooo much attention to trying to graduate and not enough to other
>>worldly matters?
>
>They offer a unit called the PXL2000 (?) which apparently uses slow-scan
>techniques to record on a standard audio cassette.  It includes a small (5")
>monitor to play back through.  About $150., as I recall.  Neat techie toy
>for the kids, and given F-P's reputation, probably built like a truck.
>
>Bob Halloran
	I saw one of those little beauties at a Toys "R" Us in L.A.  The
picture was fairly good on the little screen provided, but I wonder how
nasty it would look at home on a 26'' reg size tube.....
	Anyway, I haven't been able to find the camera in the Sacramento
area, Does any one know who carries(sells) it?  I think I''l buy one for
me I mean THE KIDS.
			- Mark,  CCM022@Deneb.ucdavis.EDUandsomethingelse

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (12/09/88)

I bought one last winter. I did some experiments, took it apart to
look inside, put it back together and took it back.

The CCD is tiny. About 1mm by 1.2 mm. Nope, don't remember the make.
The resolution was about 120 by 100 based on counting 120 Horizontal
by 200 interlaced lines on the screen.

I'm not sure of the scan rate. Slow moving objects record okay.
Moderately moving  objects (like a waving hand) show motion blur.

It definately has a digital frame buffer inside as the last image
recorded stays on the screen when you stop.

The "lens" up front is a facade. A little tiny one screws onto
the ccd chip inside. The f# is around f/20 giving it a good
depth of field. The images are dim. It is unsuitable for use inside
unless your subject is very well illuminated. Outside, its okay.

The sound is compressed. If there is no ambient sound, the cam-corder
records the sound of its own noisy moters running. Recording
time is about 5 minutes with battery life about 20.

If you give it to your kids, give them lots of batteries too. It comes
with an AC adapter, but like I said, it doesn't work that well inside.

Ed Taychert				Phone: USA (716) 381-7500
Entire Inc.				UUCP: rochester!rocksanne!entire!elt
445 E. Commercial Street
East Rochester, N.Y. 14445

jim@nih-csl.UUCP (jim sullivan) (12/10/88)

>	I saw one of those little beauties at a Toys "R" Us in L.A.  The
>picture was fairly good on the little screen provided, but I wonder how
>nasty it would look at home on a 26'' reg size tube.....

I don't think the camera is designed to be played back through any standard
TV, only the supplied play-back unit (the 4" B/W screen).  I wonder though
if it could be made (forced?) to play back through a standard TV?
The cost is certainly attractive and since I saw it I've been trying to think
of using it for other applications (scientific type experiments, etc...).
Anyone thought up uses for this little baby in the workplace (respectable
answers only please)?

jim

drmmudie@lion.waterloo.edu (David R. Mudie) (12/12/88)

In article <854@nih-csl.UUCP> jim@nih-csl.UUCP (jim sullivan) writes:
>of using it for other applications (scientific type experiments, etc...).
>Anyone thought up uses for this little baby in the workplace (respectable
>answers only please)?

It might make an inexpensive camera for experimenting with computer vision.
I don't know anything about interfacing the thing, any comments regarding this?

David.

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (12/13/88)

In article <854@nih-csl.UUCP>, jim@nih-csl.UUCP (jim sullivan) writes:
> I don't think the camera is designed to be played back through any standard
> TV, only the supplied play-back unit (the 4" B/W screen).

Yup, it plays though a normal tv and can be hooked up to a vcr too.

And them pixel is pretty big on a 26 incher.