[sci.electronics] Req for info on Sony controller socket

bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Butler Hine sst) (12/09/88)

[do we still need this?]

Hi,
	I've got a Sony CCD-V9 8mm camcorder that I would like to
control from my computer.  It has a jack on it to do this very thing,
but no information on the pin outs or signal format.  I've asked dealers
in this area, and while they will be glad to sell me a tape editing
controller for the thing, they know nothing about the signals
themselves.  Does anyone know what the pin-outs are/do and if not, where
I would get such information?  Thanks!

				Butler Hine
				NASA Ames Research Center
				hine@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

In article <19357@ames.arc.nasa.gov> bhine@nike.UUCP (Butler Hine  sst) writes:
>but no information on the pin outs or signal format.  I've asked dealers
>in this area... they know nothing about the signals
>themselves.  Does anyone know what the pin-outs are/do and if not, where
>I would get such information?  Thanks!

Try your local (well, as local as possible) Sony office.  I'm told that
Sony is pretty good about selling you things like service manuals at
reasonable cost.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

stevek@blenny.UUCP (Stephen Kogge) (12/13/88)

In article <1988Dec10.234427.26824@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <19357@ames.arc.nasa.gov> bhine@nike.UUCP (Butler Hine  sst) writes:
>>but no information on the pin outs or signal format.  I've asked dealers
>>in this area... they know nothing about the signals
>>themselves.  Does anyone know what the pin-outs are/do and if not, where
>>I would get such information?  Thanks!
>
>Try your local (well, as local as possible) Sony office.  I'm told that
>Sony is pretty good about selling you things like service manuals at
>reasonable cost.
>--
>SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Yup. Like Henry says getting the Manuals are no problem. About $20 to $30
and about 3 weeks from my local Sony Service.

The pin out of the 5 pin remote according to my EV-C8/C8u service manual
are as follows.

1	DC power
2
3	Power on
4	Serial cont
5	Unreg gnd
	Reference on page 50,89

	I had the same idea after using the editor but as of yet I have not
had the time to break the bi-directional serial code. Maybe they used TCP/IP :-)
	The EV-C8 also has a direct control port and a camera port.
		Steve Kogge

bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Butler Hine sst) (12/14/88)

In article <957@blenny.UUCP> stevek@blenny.UUCP (Stephen Kogge) writes:
>In article <1988Dec10.234427.26824@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>In article <19357@ames.arc.nasa.gov> bhine@nike.UUCP (Butler Hine  sst) writes:
>
>The pin out of the 5 pin remote according to my EV-C8/C8u service manual
>are as follows.
>
>1	DC power
>2
>3	Power on
>4	Serial cont
>5	Unreg gnd
>	Reference on page 50,89
>
>	I had the same idea after using the editor but as of yet I have not
>had the time to break the bi-directional serial code. Maybe they used TCP/IP :-)

I take it that since you have the manual, and still do not know what the
serial code is, it is not in the manual (what a mind, eh?).  This is
exactly what I need to know, however.  Henry's suggestion to ask a Sony
rep for the information was obvious, but I forgot to include the fact
that I have had very little luck in getting a `complete' set of
information from manufacturers in the past.  I once needed to know some
video filter characteristics for an RCA CCD camera, so I ordered the
schematics, having told the rep what I needed.  When they arrived,
everything was there EXCEPT this one section which had been cut out with
scissors!  Want to guess which section it was?  The one knowledgeable
person I talked to in my search for this Sony information said that he
would be very surprised if I could get this info from Sony (the serial
code format, that is).  That's why I was asking the net.  Thanks.

				Butler Hine
				NASA Ames Research Center
				hine@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (12/16/88)

In article <1988Dec10.234427.26824@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Try your local (well, as local as possible) Sony office.  I'm told that
>Sony is pretty good about selling you things like service manuals at
>reasonable cost.

Henry is correct.  You can order a service manual for any Sony product from:

        Sony Service Company
        Part Division
        8281 N. W. 107th Terrace
        P. O. Box 20407
        Kansas City, Missouri  64195-0407

        Phone information for the phone number (sorry)

The Sony manuals are absolutely beautiful.  They show an electrical schematic
diagram, P. C. etch layout, parts list, graphic signal representations,
calibration information, operating information, specifications, dis/assembly
instructions, voltages at all nodes, ...

I recently ordered a manual for the ICF-2010 radio receiver in conjunction
with designing a circuit to control the keyboard from a computer.  The
information contained in the manual was so complete, that the entire design
could be engineered without physically measuring voltages on the circuit
boards.  The cost was only about $5.

I fabricated the interface circuitry using surface mount components and tucked
it into the radio cabinet.  Now I can completely control the radio from a data
base running under UNIX.  The data base is programmed to display a list of
international shortwave broadcast stations actively broadcasting in English at
the current time. One simply chooses a country and it is instantly tuned-in.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (12/18/88)

Larry Dighera writes:
>         Phone information for the phone number (sorry)

The number I have for the parts office in Kansas Ciy is (816) 891-7550.
Sony also has (or had) a tool free consumer information number: (800)
222-7669. The last time I ordered manuals, they were $5 each (except
for VCR stuff) plus sales tax and handling:

	number	handling fee
	(1)	$1.25
	(2)	$2.00
	(3)	$2.75
	(4)	$3.50
	(5-10)	$4.25

I'm pretty sure that they take phone orders on Visa. And as Larry says,
the manuals are pretty nice. The manual for the D-5 explains how to put
the unit into "maintance mode" which lets you run the optics assembly
back and forth manually.

		Craig

P.S. It's interesting to note that the cost is the same for the thick
manual for a top of the line stereo receiver manual as it is for a two
page manual on a hand held remote control.