[sci.electronics] Long-Life battery and clock

doug@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Doug Hendricks) (12/08/88)

A friend of a brother of mine is an artist who is interested in two items:

1.  A battery that can be trusted after 100 years of storage,

2.  A clock of some sort to alarm after 100 years.

Obviously, shelf-life is the primary concern.

I thought of NASA-type fuel cells for number one, but am not sure
if they would truly be appropriate.

Any ideas?

Douglas Hendricks     Not only are these my views, but those of
Hewlett-Packard       Hewlett-Packard as well. Furthermore, I beam my
Santa Clara, CA       thoughts into Ronald Reagan. He does everything I say.

In article <1310017@hpcilzb.HP.COM> doug@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Doug Hendricks) writes:
>1.  A battery that can be trusted after 100 years of storage,

100 years of *storage*, or 100 years of low-level *use*?  If it's not
required to produce current during those 100 years, almost any of the
schemes which separate solid and liquid components until activation
would do.  For example, an ordinary lead-acid battery with the acid
stored in a glass container until activation time.  Actually providing
current for 100 years would be much trickier; better would be to have
a set of good separate-component batteries activated in succession, so
an individual battery isn't required to be active that long.

>2.  A clock of some sort to alarm after 100 years.

This should not be hard if you can supply power.  I'd guess that high-
reliability digital electronics should last that long, especially if you
make it triple-redundant against minor failures.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (12/13/88)

}
}1.  A battery that can be trusted after 100 years of storage,
}
}2.  A clock of some sort to alarm after 100 years.
}
}Obviously, shelf-life is the primary concern.
}
}I thought of NASA-type fuel cells for number one, but am not sure
}if they would truly be appropriate.

I would recommend lithium-iodide cells--lots of them.  The shelf life is 20
years to 80% of capacity.  After 100 years, the capacity will be down to 30%.
That's plenty good enough for a CMOS clock.

If you don't like that one, try a radio isotope battery.  These are available
for a variety of lifetimes, depending on current drain.
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

In article <586@aoa.UUCP>, carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
> >A friend of a brother of mine is an artist who is interested in two items:
> >1.  A battery that can be trusted after 100 years of storage,
> >2.  A clock of some sort to alarm after 100 years.
>
> any hunk of calibrated radioactive stuff with an attached geiger
> counter.  When the count rate drops to a preset limit, fire the alarm.

	The problem, as I see it, is not so much finding a suitable power
source, but finding an electronic timing and control circuit which will
work for 100 years.  This is not a trivial task; it is not a trivial
assumption that say, a CMOS timing circuit will work for 100 years without
failure.
	There are various types of failure modes in solid-state circuits
which would manifest themselves over this period of time; such failure
modes include, but are not limited to: (1) undesireable migration and
diffusion effects; (2) corrosion effects; and (3) growth of micro-fine
metallic "whiskers".  Present reliability design and testing methods
for semiconductors do not cover the eventualities of a 100-year service
life.
	A pioneer in the development of components and circuits with
a long service life is Bell Laboratories.  Some of these interesting
problems have been discussed within the "Bell System Technical Journal".
A most interesting series of articles appeared between 1955 and 1957;
these articles dealt with the problem of designing undersea telephone
repeaters for the first Transatlantic Telephone Cable (i.e., the first
_voice_ cable, which was not installed until 1956).  These undersea
repeaters had a design life of something like 40 years, and the BSTJ
articles discussed such problems as growth of metallic whiskers on
various components.
	I would recommend these articles as interesting reading.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In article <6288@fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>I would recommend lithium-iodide cells--lots of them.  The shelf life is 20
>years to 80% of capacity.  After 100 years, the capacity will be down to 30%.

You mean, the *rated* capacity will be down to 30%.  What the actual
capacity will be is anyone's guess.  Extrapolating lifetimes by an order
of magnitude or more is a very chancy business for relatively new
technologies, especially ones involving chemical reactions.  Lots of
opportunities for stray side reactions in that length of time...
--

dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-101;) (12/19/88)

Larry Lippman writes:

>	The problem, as I see it, is not so much finding a suitable power
>source, but finding an electronic timing and control circuit which will
>work for 100 years.  This is not a trivial task; it is not a trivial
>assumption that say, a CMOS timing circuit will work for 100 years without
>failure.

In a fairly recent electrionics trade mag, one of the columnists was
commenting on a DoD spec which required that a part have a MTBF (Mean Time
Between Failures) of about 77 years.  I think this part was in a field
radio or maybe it was a field radio.  Perhaps the originator could get
together with whatever contractor fulfilled this spec.

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@twaddl.LA.TEK.COM

 "Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers."
					-- Pablo Picasso