[sci.electronics] Electrolysis Digest #2 Vol. 1

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/23/88)

Article 4142 of sci.electronics:
From: awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: Caution: electolysis of water
Date: 19 Dec 88 17:56:53 GMT

In article <849@inuxm.UUCP> micl23@inuxm.UUCP (W E Miller) writes:

>> How do I use electricity (from a battery-6V lantern type) to separate
>> water into hydrogen and oxygen?  Please E-Mail me.  P.S. don't flame me,
>> this was the only place I could think of posting to..

I used to use a sawed-off Purex bottle with a Copper (tubing) electrode and a
Zinc bar, both wired to an old Selenium stack auto battery charger. I suppose
graphite electrodes would have been fine.

The caution: avoid poisonous Chlorine gas.

There is a strong temptation to table add salt to decrease the resistivity of
the solution. Problem is that with NaCl in solution the anode (+terminal) frees
both O-- Oxygen ions as gas AND CHLORINE Cl- ions (a problem related to half-
cell potentials). Most of the latter returns to solution yielding a HCL/HOCL
concoction resembling bleach, there can also be some nascent Chlorine left
around. The suggested fix: use a Carbonate salt (eg, baking or washing soda).

     /Alan Paeth
     Computer Graphics Laboratory
     University of Waterloo

Article 4150 of sci.electronics:
From: chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: Re: Caution: electolysis of water
Date: 21 Dec 88 04:52:22 GMT

In article <7395@watcgl.waterloo.edu> awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu
(Alan Wm Paeth) writes:
>There is a strong temptation to table add salt to decrease the resistivity of
>the solution. Problem is that with NaCl in solution the anode (+terminal) frees
>both O-- Oxygen ions as gas AND CHLORINE Cl- ions (a problem related to half-
>cell potentials). Most of the latter returns to solution yielding a HCL/HOCL
>concoction resembling bleach, there can also be some nascent Chlorine left
>around. The suggested fix: use a Carbonate salt (eg, baking or washing soda).

Hard water is good for something :-)

In my young and innocent (hah) days (when I was about 12 or 13), I
played with electrolysis using the 117 volt line---much faster than
batteries.  Anyway, I vaguely remember that salt water formed a green
scum.  I guess now that it must have been choride salts of metallic
ions in the tap water....

Article 4145 of sci.electronics:
From: henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Date: 20 Dec 88 20:49:17 GMT

In article <7395@watcgl.waterloo.edu> awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) writes:
>The caution: avoid poisonous Chlorine gas.
>
>There is a strong temptation to table add salt to decrease the resistivity of
>the solution. Problem is that with NaCl in solution the anode (+terminal) frees
>both O-- Oxygen ions as gas AND CHLORINE Cl- ions (a problem related to half-
>cell potentials). Most of the latter returns to solution yielding a HCL/HOCL
>concoction resembling bleach...

My own experience as a kid, deliberately trying for chlorine, is that it's
virtually impossible to get any noticeable quantity.  Maybe I didn't hit
the right combination of conditions, but even determined electrolysis of
saturated salt solutions didn't yield anything much.  (The commercial
chlorine-by-electrolysis processes use tricks to isolate the reaction
products from the solution.)  And even a pinch of salt can do wonders for
conductivity, which is important for electrolysis.

All that being said, I think I'd check the matter out chemically before
using electrolyzed oxygen for breathing.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Article 4151 of sci.electronics:
From: rvs@ihlpf.ATT.COM (VonSchwedler)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Date: 21 Dec 88 19:04:52 GMT

In article <1988Dec20.204917.21249@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>My own experience as a kid, deliberately trying for chlorine, is that it's
>virtually impossible to get any noticeable quantity.  Maybe I didn't hit

The one that will more likely be produced (between Clorine and
Oxygen), is the one that is more easily reduced.  That happens to be
oxygen.
I am not completely sure about this, but let me just blab.  When the
circuit is completed, the electrons from the battery try to get over
to the positive terminal from the negative terminal (through the
solution).   When they travel through the wire, they sorta stand
around in the solution on the Anode.  With all these electrons
standing around, the Hydrogen atoms (being positively charged) see
this as a very nice place to go.  They will even leave their oxygen
partners to go check it out.  Once they get there, they take an
electron off of the anode and are free (there is no reason to hang
around with the oxygen atoms because they no longer need to barrow
their electrons).  At the other end, the oxygen atoms (still in
water molecules) are near the positive terminal (the Cathode) which
is positive.  The oxygen atoms see this as a nice place to be and
even leave their partners.  When they come into contact with the
cathode, the electrons they have that are holding the hydrogen atoms
to them are striped away, which frees the hydrogen atoms, and the
oxygen atoms are now free to come out of solution.  As someone has
mentioned, twice as much hydrogen is produced at the anode then
oxygen is produced at the cathode, but the current remains
constant.  Two electrons for every H20 molecule.  I believe that it
takes two culombs of current for one mole of water.

This is the philosophy behind this, but I may have a few things
reversed.  Also, you have to figure out what the electron potential
of hydrogen and oxygen is because it may (I doubt it) require more
than six volts.

RvS

Article 4152 of sci.electronics:
From: jad@dayton.UUCP (John A. Deters)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: electrolysis of water
Date: 21 Dec 88 17:15:43 GMT

In article <7395@watcgl.waterloo.edu> awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) writes:
>In article <849@inuxm.UUCP> micl23@inuxm.UUCP (W E Miller) writes:
>>>
>>> How do I use electricity (from a battery-6V lantern type) to separate
>>> water into hydrogen and oxygen?...
>I used to use a sawed-off Purex bottle with a Copper (tubing) electrode and a
>Zinc bar, both wired to an old Selenium stack auto battery charger. I suppose
>graphite electrodes would have been fine.
> ... description and caution deleted ...
>The suggested fix: use a Carbonate salt (eg, baking or washing soda).
>     /Alan Paeth
I found an even more interesting solution to use than plain water:
Well-used photographic fixer.  Photographic fixer works by removing the
light-sensitive silver from the paper, so the silver compound remains
in the fixer bath.  If you use fixer, you will discover that one of your
terminals (the anode, I think) will turn silver colored.  You can actually
peel off the flakes of silver that form on the terminal.  (Well, when you're
in high school, these things are pretty neat.)

-john

Article 4156 of sci.electronics:
From: larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Date: 21 Dec 88 20:26:41 GMT

In article <15107@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In my young and innocent (hah) days (when I was about 12 or 13), I
> played with electrolysis using the 117 volt line---much faster than
> batteries.  Anyway, I vaguely remember that salt water formed a green
> scum.  I guess now that it must have been choride salts of metallic
> ions in the tap water....

	What you saw was probably cupric chloride resulting from
decomposition of the copper wires which you (probably) stuck in the
solution as "electrodes".  If the water was particularly hard, some
cupric carbonate may have also formed; cupric carbonate is insoluble
in water and would definitely precipitate out.

	When I was a kid in high school, I went "big time" in
electrolysis experiments: I melted table salt in a crucible using my
father's Prestolite (acetylene) outfit, and used carbon electrodes
salvaged from batteries to produce chlorine and metallic sodium.
The sodium production was rather inefficient, but I got enough to
prove the point :-)  N.B.: I don't recommend this as a home experiment;
also, a propane torch will most likely have insufficient heat output
to adequately melt and fuse the salt.

	I always wanted to take the next step and use potassium fluoride
to make fluorine, but I chickened out after finally managing to acquire
the potassium fluoride.  My one and only direct experience with pure
fluorine when I was a grad student convinced me that I had made the right
decision several years earlier. :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

Article 4157 of sci.electronics:
From: larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Date: 22 Dec 88 06:13:06 GMT

In article <1988Dec20.204917.21249@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >There is a strong temptation to table add salt to decrease the resistivity of
> >the solution. Problem is that with NaCl in solution the anode (+) frees
> >both O-- Oxygen ions as gas AND CHLORINE Cl- ions (a problem related to half-
> >cell potentials). Most of the latter returns to solution yielding a HCL/HOCL
> >concoction resembling bleach...
>
> My own experience as a kid, deliberately trying for chlorine, is that it's
> virtually impossible to get any noticeable quantity.  Maybe I didn't hit
> the right combination of conditions, but even determined electrolysis of
> saturated salt solutions didn't yield anything much.  (The commercial
> chlorine-by-electrolysis processes use tricks to isolate the reaction
> products from the solution.)  And even a pinch of salt can do wonders for
> conductivity, which is important for electrolysis.

	If you want to produce hydrogen and oxygen from water, a _slight_
amount of sulfuric acid will do wonders for increasing electrolyte
conductivity without creating any significant side reactions.

	However, when any significant amount of salt is added to the
solution (presumably in an effort to increase electrolyte conductivity),
it's a whole new ballgame...

	The electrolysis of brine (i.e., salt solutions) is used to form
chlorine at the anode and hydrogen _and_ sodium hydroxide at the cathode.
However, if the anode and cathode products are allowed to commingle,
then various reverse reactions will proceed almost as fast as the forward
reactions, with the net result of not much chlorine or hydrogen being
evolved.  However, sodium hypochlorite will be formed; this reaction
is used for commercial production of sodium hypochorite under carefully
controlled conditions and with an optimized cell design.  The addition
of calcium hydroxide will result in production of sodium chlorite and
(as a further step) chlorine dioxide.

	Oxygen does NOT form in the electrolysis of brine unless OH-
ions manage to reach the anode (an undesireable situation).

	Commercial chlor-alkalai processes always use electrochemical
cells which separate the anode and cathode products.  The first such
practicable cell to perform this process was called the mercury cell,
and was invented in 1892 in Niagara Falls, NY, and used by the Mathieson
Alkalai Works (now Olin Corp.).  The mercury cell was a two compartment
cell using a graphite anode and a circulating mercury cathode.  The
first compartment produced chlorine, and the second compartment produced
sodium hydroxide solution (which required further purification) and
hydrogen.  The mercury cell was reasonably efficient, and it launched
the U.S. chlor-alkalai industry.  Unfortunately, it had one significant
disadvantage - it used mercury, and has the dubious distinction of
being the primary cause for mercury contamination of aquatic life in the
Great Lakes.

	While mercury cells are still used within the continental U.S.,
most chlor-alkalai production uses a membrane cell in which a semi-
permiable membrane separates the anode from cathode.  The membrane allows
ions to pass, but not reaction products.  There is also another type
of cell called the Dow cell.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

--
_    /| When you link up to a VAX or UNIX without a "shell", you're linking
\'o.O' with every other VAX or UNIX that the admin has been with!