[sci.electronics] Diodes in liquid nitrogen

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (12/23/88)

>In article <7200022@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>>RS catalog # 276-087 "Super-Bright LED" ($1.69, from Japan) is truly
>>impressive.  It's rated 2000 mcd output at 20mA (red; wavelength 660
>>nm).

>Of course, the *REAL* question is:  How do they perform when
>immersed in liquid nitrogen?

>Original LEDs had a significant increase in efficiency when
>supercooled... Unfortunately, the high efficiency LEDs (40mcd) I
>tried didn't have the same effect.  It would be interesting to
>know if these new LEDs do.  They would be really impressive with
>several hundred mA of current at significantly higher efficiency!

>--Charles  flaig@apple.com

Other semiconductors work better at liquid nitrogen temperatures
too.  I once worked for a manufacturer of silicon rectifiers
which made a water-cooled 1000-Amp unit with a single enormous
alloyed junction (which couldn't be duplicated when they changed
to a diffused-junction process).  A cyclotron facility in
California got 10,000 Amps through these by cooling with LN2.

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu