[sci.electronics] Depth Finder Problem

starin@abe.dec.com (Mark Starin KB1KJ DTN: 264-5596 MK01-1/A10) (12/27/88)

I am posting this for a friend at DEC.

The depthfinder on his sailboat works fine when he's under sail.
However, as soon as he lights off the "iron main", the depthfinder
indicator starts giving messed up indications.

The depthfinder is located 3-4 feet from the engine and is
apparently well grounded. According to him, it is connected directly
to the battery - not to the alternator system.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

***************STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES********************
Mark Starin KB1KJ		 	US NAVY RADIOMEN DO IT
Digital Equipment Corp.		 	WITH MORE FREQUENCY
Merrimack, NH
(603)-884-5596
DECWRL::"abe.dec.com!starin"

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (12/28/88)

In article <8812271430.AA18210@decwrl.dec.com> starin@abe.dec.com (Mark Starin KB1KJ DTN: 264-5596 MK01-1/A10) writes:
>The depthfinder on his sailboat works fine when he's under sail.
>However, as soon as he lights off the "iron main", the depthfinder
>indicator starts giving messed up indications.

      Well, of course!  Depth finders are acoustic devices; they bounce
a pulse of sound off the bottom and time the echo coming back.  Any source
of noise in the water, such as a noisy engine, will cause interference.
Try moving the depthfinder's transducer to a location as far from the engine
and prop as possible.

					John Nagle

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (12/30/88)

In article <8812271430.AA18210@decwrl.dec.com> starin@abe.dec.com (Mark Starin KB1KJ DTN: 264-5596 MK01-1/A10) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend at DEC.
>
>The depthfinder on his sailboat works fine when he's under sail.
>However, as soon as he lights off the "iron main", the depthfinder
>indicator starts giving messed up indications.
>
>The depthfinder is located 3-4 feet from the engine and is
>apparently well grounded. According to him, it is connected directly
>to the battery - not to the alternator system.
>
>Any assistance would be appreciated.

The problem is probably the engine's noise rather than any electrical
problem.  A depth finder is, i believe, a sonar device.

Is it possible to lower the transducer into the water on a string to
test whether this is the case?  If so, the transducer should probably
be moved to somewhere far from the engine.

-dk

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (01/03/89)

In article <8812271430.AA18210@decwrl.dec.com> starin@abe.dec.com (Mark Starin KB1KJ DTN: 264-5596 MK01-1/A10) writes:
>The depthfinder on his sailboat works fine when he's under sail.
>However, as soon as he lights off the "iron main", the depthfinder
>indicator starts giving messed up indications.

Mine is sensitive to engine noise from passing power boats.  I have
decided that it's mostly the cavitation causing it, since the depthfinder
persists in resetting itself for several seconds after the power boat
and its noise is gone.  I might add that my transducer is several feet
away from my engine (more like 20 or so).

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LG-129          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!