[sci.electronics] visible infrared?

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (12/31/88)

From article <743@optilink.UUCP>, by brad@optilink.UUCP (Brad Yearwood):

> Which brings me to a question.  There is a second LED, presumably infrared
> emitting, in the Mouse System mouse, to the left of the red LED.  If you
> look carefully (particularly if you cover the red LED), the infrared LED
> appears to have a pale bluish-gray glow.

If you look even more carefully (particularly if you exclude all ambient
light), the infrared LED or whaterver it is is completely dark.
Presumably the blue-gray appearace is due to ambient light being
concentrated by the lens of the thing, which may have a bluish tint.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) (12/31/88)

From article <743@optilink.UUCP>, by brad@optilink.UUCP (Brad Yearwood):

> Which brings me to a question.  There is a second LED, presumably infrared
> emitting, in the Mouse System mouse, to the left of the red LED.  If you
> look carefully (particularly if you cover the red LED), the infrared LED
> appears to have a pale bluish-gray glow.

The Mouse System mouse is an optical mouse.  Light goes out, some light goes
back in.  The second "LED" isn't a led, its a photosensor.  I would guess.

-- Dave
Dave Bakin				    (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Blvd.; Santa Clara, CA 95054-3197
Internet:  dsb@rational.com	 Uucp:  ...!uunet!igor!dsb

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) (01/03/89)

In article <501@igor.Rational.COM> dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) writes:
>From article <743@optilink.UUCP>, by brad@optilink.UUCP (Brad Yearwood):
>
>> Which brings me to a question.  There is a second LED, presumably infrared
>> emitting, in the Mouse System mouse, to the left of the red LED.  If you
>> look carefully (particularly if you cover the red LED), the infrared LED
>> appears to have a pale bluish-gray glow.
>
>The Mouse System mouse is an optical mouse.  Light goes out, some light goes
>back in.  The second "LED" isn't a led, its a photosensor.  I would guess.
>
>-- Dave
Guess again, Dave.
I thought this sounded funny, but I just opened up my PC Mouse to be sure.
There are two LED's, visible red and IR.  Next to the LED's are two spherical
lenses mounted in holes in the printed circuit board.  These lenses focus the
reflected light via a reflector on the top cover of the mouse to two associated
photodetectors mounted on the circuit board.  A second giveaway is the fact
that the mouse pad is printed in two colors giving a different contrast to
the red and IR beams.
                                                    Barry
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz  UUCP:..rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

asmith@ihuxv.ATT.COM (00704a-Smith) (01/04/89)

In article <1574@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) writes:
>I thought this sounded funny, but I just opened up my PC Mouse to be sure.
>There are two LED's, visible red and IR.  Next to the LED's are two spherical
>lenses mounted in holes in the printed circuit board.  These lenses focus the
>reflected light via a reflector on the top cover of the mouse to two associated
>photodetectors mounted on the circuit board.  A second giveaway is the fact
>that the mouse pad is printed in two colors giving a different contrast to
>the red and IR beams.

                                                    Barry

Yes. Optical mice work with two pairs of LEDs and photodetectors. One
pair is used to detect horizontal motion while the other is used for
vertical motion. The stripes are different colors because the LED's
operate at different frequencies so as not to interfere. One color stripe
runs horizontally while the other runs vertically.

                                                  Art

Bug? What bug? That's a feature!!
The ideas presented here have nothing to do with reality or my
employer.