[sci.electronics] Vibration sensing

freeptos@mips.COM (Dan Freitas) (01/01/89)

Does anyone have any ideas for sensing vibration peaks?  I want to  detect
the maximum peak (in a given orientation) of a vibration of frequency ~1-2KHz.
Something like what they use on the dynamic wheel balancers but operating at
a higher frequency.  In the wheel balancer you place the sensor (mechanical
pendulum with contacts or some such) on the swing arm of the car.  The wheel
is spun and the sensor fires a strobe every time the vibration peaks in a given
position around the circle. You then add weight to the opposite side of the
wheel and presto, a dynamically balanced wheel.

I'm not sure a mechanical pendulum would work so well at 2Khz.  I would think
it might act as the mechanical equivalent of a low-pass filter.

Ideas anyone?
						Thanks,
							Dan Freitas
--

UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!freeptos
USPS : Mips Computer Systems; 930 Arques Ave; Sunnyvale, Ca  94086

In article <10457@obiwan.mips.COM>, freeptos@mips.COM (Dan Freitas) writes:
> Does anyone have any ideas for sensing vibration peaks?  I want to  detect
> the maximum peak (in a given orientation) of a vibration of frequency ~1-2KHz.
> Something like what they use on the dynamic wheel balancers but operating at
> a higher frequency.  In the wheel balancer you place the sensor (mechanical
> pendulum with contacts or some such) on the swing arm of the car.  The wheel
> is spun and the sensor fires a strobe every time the vibration peaks in given
> position around the circle. You then add weight to the opposite side of the
> wheel and presto, a dynamically balanced wheel.
>
> I'm not sure a mechanical pendulum would work so well at 2Khz.  I would think
> it might act as the mechanical equivalent of a low-pass filter.

	Vibration measurement and analysis can range from a simple to a
complex undertaking, depending upon the application and what parameter you
want to measure.  In general, vibration mneasurement can deal with any or
all of the following parameters plotted against a frequency domain or
rotational position domain:

1.	Displacement of the measurement surface; most commonly quantitatively
	measured in micrometers peak-to-peak.

2.	Velocity of the measurement surface; most commonly quantitatively
	measured in millimeters/sec peak.

3.	Acceleration of the measurement surface; most commonly quantitatively
	measured in g peak (1 g = 980 cm/sec^2).

4.	Spike energy of the measurement surface; most commonly quantitatively
	measured in g-Spike Energy.

	The frequency domain for vibration measurements is usually expressed
in Hertz or counts/minute (CPM).  Most vibration analysis apparatus covers
the range of 1 Hz to 10,000 Hz (60 to 600,000 CPM).

	Transducers fall into two common categories: (1) electrodynamic and
(2) piezoelectric.

	Electrodynamic transducers are not unlike that of a dynamic
microphone, having a coil and a weighted diaphragm with a known mass and known
displacement range.  Electrodynamic vibration transducers are available with
frequency ranges up to 5 kHz, so your 2 kHz requirement is not a problem.
Electrodynamic transducers will generally measure displacement and velocity;
some designs are not a "true" accelerometer.

	Piezoelectric transducers are generally a true accelerometer, and
use a piezoelectric element connected to an electrometer "charge amplifier".
Many newer piezoelectric transducers have integral charge amplifiers.
Piezoelectric transducers will measure velocity, acceleration and spike
energy.  Piezoelectric transducers will easily measure signals up to 10 Khz,
but have a low frequency cutoff (usually in the 10's to 100's of Hz,
depending upon the device).

	The wheel balancer application which you mentioned most likely uses
an electrodynamic transducer optimized for displacement measurement, with
a displacement signal above a given threshhold beiong used to trigger a
strobe lamp.  This is sort of a "semi-quantitative" application, and
represents a simple use of vibration measurement since there is no
measurement made with respect to a frequency domain.

	Designing a vibration transducer for accurate, repeatable and
reliable quantitative measurement is no trivial task.  However, for some
less exacting applications, a "transducer" as simple as a musical
instrument contact microphone will suffice.

	If you have further details of your application, perhaps I can give
you more specific advice.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) (01/05/89)

In article <2884@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <10457@obiwan.mips.COM>, freeptos@mips.COM (Dan Freitas) writes:
>> Does anyone have any ideas for sensing vibration peaks?  I want to  detect
>> the maximum peak (in a given orientation) of a vibration of frequency ~1-2KHz.
> [stuff deleted]
>
>	Transducers fall into two common categories: (1) electrodynamic and
>(2) piezoelectric.

Just for completeness' sake...

Larry neglected to mention a third category, albeit more esoteric and
certainly overkill for your application.  ( probably why he did not think
it pertinent, but may as well add my little tid-bit.)

A few months back, I saw a demonstration of a commercially available
vibration measuring device which used laser interferometry for its
transducing.  You couldn't see or hear the vibration of the tuning fork
they were using, but this thing picked it up from several feet.  Come
to think of it, the government (and other underhanded types) use such
type devices to bug a conversation by picking up vibrations off windows
caused by noise on the other side.  I remember thinking at the time that
a laser interferometer would make a real nice (expensive) toy.

CLAIMER:  Well -- I wrote it!                       Eric Alan Neulight
"Nothing is Impossible -- Just Impractical."      Electrical Engineering
"For every Lock, there is a Key."                 Computer Science House
"INSANITY is just a state of mine."         Rochester Institute of Technology
    BITNET: EAN4762@RITVAX         UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!rit!ritcsh!sic

In article <836@ritcsh.UUCP>, sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) writes:
> Larry neglected to mention a third category, albeit more esoteric and
> certainly overkill for your application.  ( probably why he did not think
> it pertinent, but may as well add my little tid-bit.)
>
> A few months back, I saw a demonstration of a commercially available
> vibration measuring device which used laser interferometry for its
> transducing.  You couldn't see or hear the vibration of the tuning fork
> they were using, but this thing picked it up from several feet.

	There are also methods for vibration measurements through reflected
wave techniques employing ultrasonics and microwaves (the more common of
the two).  Both ultrasonic and microwave techniques appeared in industry
during the 1950's, but they never saw widespread use and remained curiosity
pieces.

	Microwave measurement is particularly simple.  I can remember a
lab experiment from a EE microwaves course in which we aimed a 2K25
klystron at a tuning fork.  We could measure the frequency and displacement
of the vibration by observing the changes in repeller current on an
oscilloscope.  A simple and impressive technique, but one which just
never caught on.  I wouldn't be surprised, however, if a microwave
vibration sensor using a solid-state emitter and self-contained signal
conditining (trivial today) might cause a resurgence of interest in
this measurement technique.