[sci.electronics] Chip Packaging

bmaraldo@watmath.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (01/06/89)

In article <888@ubu.warwick.UUCP> haldane@uk.ac.warwick.cs (Steve Sykes) writes:
>that are made from transparant plastic - so why, I think to myself, could one
>not package other chips in the same way?  It looks really neat.  Ok,
>maybe light would affect them, but you could do different colours - blue
>for ttl, red for cmos etc - why not even colour code chips in stripes in
>the same way resistors are?

	I think that having the chip type actually printed on the device
is english characters is definitely better than using colour stripes as you
suggest.  I don't think manufactuing custom-colour designer chips is thought
of as a useful endevour to spend money on by the manufactures.  I personally
prefer the trend used by Corning on their precision resitors - the value
is actually printed on the device (I still have to recite Bad Boys Rape.....
which is time consuming).
	The plastic that is used for packaging chips probably doesn't lend
itself to dying.  I am not too sure of the exact chemical that is used, but
as I recall, it isn't a standard plastic.  Also, light can affect silicon,
as any fab can tell you.

Brett Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------