[sci.electronics] Weathercube -> 144 MHz

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (01/07/89)

Can anybody tell me about the Radio Schmuck Weathercube conversion
to 144 MHz?  I know an article exists (somewhere) describing the
conversion.  It looks like a simple re-tuning of L101, L102, and L104 will
do the trick. Any opinions out there?  Thanks.

-Charlie Thompson WB4HVD
 Motorola DSP Operation
 Austin, TX

kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) (01/10/89)

In article <1767@radio.oakhill.UUCP> charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:
>Can anybody tell me about the Radio Schmuck Weathercube conversion
>to 144 MHz?  I know an article exists (somewhere) describing the
>conversion.  It looks like a simple re-tuning of L101, L102, and L104 will
>do the trick. Any opinions out there?  Thanks.

That modification is described in the June 1987 QST (with a follow-up
correction to the PC foil layout in the July 1987 QST).  There are basically
three levels of modification: 1) Frequency, 2) Squelch, and 3) Scanning.

Keep in mind that the cube was never a particularly sensitive or
selective receiver to begin with, and it may overload in the presence of
very strong signals.  All things considered, though, it is a fun, inexpensive
project that has great educational possibilities.

By the way, that conversion was born right here at Cornell University, by
Steve Powell (N2BU - steve@calvin.ee.cornell.edu), with help from Joe
Pingree (WB2TVB - joe@calvin.ee.cornell.edu).

--
Kevin Tubbs, 5152 Upson, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 14853  (607) 255-8703
kevin@calvin.ee.cornell.edu  {uunet,rochester}!cornell!calvin!kevin