[sci.electronics] 9-volt / rocket launcher?

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/25/88)

How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
 I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?
--
_    /| When you link up to a VAX or UNIX without a "shell", you're linking
\'o.O' with every other VAX or UNIX that the admin has been with!

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Otero) (12/26/88)

> How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>   to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?

Hmmm, what you need is a high-power output to a high-temperature
source. A 9-volt probably will not do it, unless you get really
cute. See, the power output is limited by the maximum current
out of the battery, which is limited by the internal resistance
of it. 9-volts are very low current devices.

The nichrome igniters used by rocket hobbyists is probably your
best bet: it heats up very hot, very fast, and lasts long enough
to ignite most rocket engines. Get the ones with the blob of
flammable stuff in the middle, they work better.

What are you trying to ignite, anyway?
--
			Nico Garcia, Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Hospital

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
> How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>   to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
>  I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.

	This wouldn't be to ignite the combined hydrogen and oxygen
products of electrolysis of water, would it? :-)

> Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?

	You are mistaken.

	If you are into model rockets (as your subject line implies), there
are "reasonably" safe model rocket motors which use an "electric squibb" for
ignition, the design of which is already performed for you by the vendor.
A hobby shop dealing with model airplanes can usually obtain model rocket
supplies.

	With respect to answering your original question, I must decline
since I feel such discussion would be inappropriate for the Net.  You
pose a practical question whose answer is applicable to a wide variety
explosive devices.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (12/26/88)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:

>How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
> I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
>Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?

    Nichrome wire.  Works perfectly by just stuffing it up a
solid fuel rocket motor (Estes like).  It will also lite fuses.
You can get it at any hobby shop that carries supplies for model
rockets.
		    Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

berryh@udel.EDU (jOHn BErRyhIlL) (12/27/88)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:

>How can I use a 9-volt battery and other components
>  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?

Get some Estes Rocket Engine Igniters from your local hobby store.
They are pieces of small gauge nichrome wire with some kind of
match head type stuff on them.  They are made for use with
Estes model rocket engines, but have a wide variety of other
applications.

-------------------------=< John B. Berryhill >=-------------------------
143 King William St.       Newark, DE 19711             (302) 453-1578
     "I am not arguing with you, I'm telling you" -- JM Whistler

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/27/88)

I used to break apart vacuum tubes for their filament material.  A piece
about 1/4 inch long driven by six volts of D cells would set off a mixture
of oxygen and hydrogen quite nicely.

(I'm talking about 1/4" of filament wire after you've broken the ceramic
coating and stretched it out.)

For reliable electric fuses, nothing beats photographic flashbulbs.  Be sure
to remove the "protective" plastic coating for best results.

Many gun shops sell black powder (gunpowder for people who roll their own
ammo).  Even with the plastic coating on, a flash bulb sets this stuff off
pretty well.

Always remember the safety rule for gunpowder:  If it doesn't have a casing,
it doesn't go BOOM !!!

Come to think of it, that's not the safety rule.  I think the safety rule was:
Don't mix carpet tacks with the powder, put them around the sides.

No, no, that wasn't it either.  It was something like:  Keep a shorting bar
across the fuse until the last moment before you run away.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (12/28/88)

      There's an excellent solution to this guy's problem.  I have some
misgivings about posting it, but since there are other ways to make various
sorts of destructive devices, I've decided to do so.

      The highest power-to-weight ratio in batteries is found in the Polaroid
PolaPulse (TM) battery.  This is a flat object about the size of a playing
card and about 2mm thick.  One is inside every Polaroid film pack.  These
units are designed to deliver about 10-20 amps, as I recall, for a second
or so at a time, and provide the energy to drive the motor that forces the film
through the developing rollers.  You can buy the batteries from Polaroid in
a somewhat more convenient form than one obtains by dismantling a film
cartridge, and Polaroid sells a developer's kit for these units.

						John Nagle

WINNIE@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Jon Edelson) (12/28/88)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

>How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
> I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
>Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?

Any component will get hot if you pump enough current through it, and
diodes will allow that :-)
Actually, you want something that is high in resistance in a small
place.  These are sold by Estes as model rocket igniters.

Something that you can do is take a piece of wire and bend it at a
sharp angle, then cut throught most of the wire at the bend so that
you end up with two thick wires joined by a very thin bridge.  If
you run current through it, the bridge will get hot.  I have done
this with copper wire- nicrome might be better.  Although you are
"shorting" the battery, the cross section of the thin part is very
small, so it isn't much of a short.  Also, the wire melts away
rapidly, so the current drain does not last long.
                                       -Jonathan Edelson
winnie@pubear.princeton.edu
      @pucc.bitnet
      @pucc.princeton.edu
      @phoenix.princeton.edu
" Where am I going?  I don't quite know.
  Down to the stream where the king-cups grow-
  Up on the hill where the pine-trees blow-       When We Were Very Young
  Anywhere, anywhere.  *I* don't know. "              by   A. A. Milne

In article <17942@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>       The highest power-to-weight ratio in batteries is found in the Polaroid
> PolaPulse (TM) battery.

	As far as I know, in a _commercially_ available battery, the highest
energy-to-weight ratio is found in a lithium-thionyl chloride cell.  Short
circuit currents for a D-cell sized lithium-thionyl chloride battery can
approach HUNDREDS of amperes.  As a demonstration, I have seen a string
of such batteries having a total size less than 2 D-cells start a full-sized
automobile.  Lithium-thionyl chloride batteries are not the same as the
lithium batteries used in watches and electronic memory circuits (this
variety is typically a lithium-manganese dioxide cell).  Electrochem
Industries in Clarence, NY is a major manufacturer of lithium-thionyl
chloride batteries for commercial and military applications.

> This is a flat object about the size of a playing
> card and about 2mm thick.  One is inside every Polaroid film pack.  These
> units are designed to deliver about 10-20 amps, as I recall, for a second
> or so at a time, and provide energy to drive the motor that forces the film
> through the developing rollers.  You can buy the batteries from Polaroid in
> a somewhat more convenient form than one obtains by dismantling a film
> cartridge, and Polaroid sells a developer's kit for these units.

	Polaroid has been discouraging OEM sales of the Polapulse battery,
and now sells it indirectly through an exclusive marketing agreement with
Power Card Corp. in Waltham, MA.

	Interesting enough, the Polapulse battery uses pretty conventional
Leclanche chemistry (zinc and manganese dioxide); the physical design of the
battery is indeed clever, though.  The Polapulse P100 (the original SX70
battery) has some interesting discharge characteristics.  Instantaneous
short circuit current is 19 amps, which drops to 8.5 amps after 30 seconds,
and which further drops to 4 amps after 60 seconds.  At a continuous
discharge current of 0.1 amps the P100 is rated at 0.232 ampere-hours,
but at a continuous discharge current of 5.0 amps, the rating is only 0.018
ampere-hours.  High discharge currents have an extremely deleterious
effect upon the energy life of the battery.

	Gould makes a flat lithium-manganese dioxide battery under the
tradename of Powerdex, which is roughly comparable to the Polapulse.
The Gould battery has much higher energy capacity (1.4 ampere-hour),
but cannot provide discharge currents in excess of 0.5 ampere.  As I
understand it, Gould is actively pursuing OEM applications for their
battery; Polaroid doesn't seem too interested unless you want to buy
100,000,000 batteries per year. :-)

In article <12974@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> For reliable electric fuses, nothing beats photographic flashbulbs.  Be sure
> to remove the "protective" plastic coating for best results.
>
> Many gun shops sell black powder (gunpowder for people who roll their own
> ammo).  Even with the plastic coating on, a flash bulb sets this stuff off
> pretty well.
>
> Always remember the safety rule for gunpowder:  If it doesn't have a casing,
> it doesn't go BOOM !!!
>
> Come to think of it, that's not the safety rule.  I think the safety rule was:
> Don't mix carpet tacks with the powder, put them around the sides.

	Congratulations, I knew SOMEONE would do it, and it was you!  You
give the Net explicit instructions on how to build an explosive device
capable of no purpose other than to destroy life and property.  Excuse my
prejudice, but is it just coincidence that you happen to be an account
holder on Portal?

	The original poster was obviously no bona fide model rocket hobbyist;
if he were, he would not have posed a naive question about 9-volt batteries
and diodes (as fuses).  Can you think of any lawful purpose other than model
rocketry to pose such a question?  Might he have something _other_ than
model rockets in mind?

	Do you feel a sense of satisfaction that you have furnished explicit
instructions to an obviously naive poster (and to God knows who else) on
how to build a gen-u-wine explosive device capable of serious personal
injury and destruction of property?

	You seem to find amusement in the effects of an explosive advice.
I can assure you that few, if any, people who have ever served in the military
or worked as a fireman or police officer would share your amusement.  I have
done forensic science consulting to certain law enforcement agencies for
the past 17 or so years; I am not the greatest expert in any one area,
but I come cheap because I enjoy the analytical challenge.  I have seen
firsthand the effects of explosive devices, and do not find it a joking
matter.  Some years ago in the days before ICP, when my organization had
a JACO 3.4 meter Ebert spectrograph (once THE state of the art emission
spectrograph), I did some analysis for a law enforcement agency on the
residue of a fatal pipe bomb explosion.  I signed for a large plastic
evidence bag containing about 1 kg of material, and put in in my lab.
It sat for two days in a locked cabinet before I could get to it.  I then
dumped the contents on a large tray to sort out under a stereomicroscope
and find specimens to prepare as samples for analysis.  In the roughly
1 kg of material, I found close to 100 g of bone and assorted human remains.

	Perhaps you will now understand why I find no amusement in
explosive devices.

	I would also like to point out that while I have done a number
of dumb things in my youth involving chemicals and pyrotechnics, I
never, ever, constructed any device which could even be loosely
construed as a bomb.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (12/29/88)

It seems strange to me that everyone replying to the original request
for information on how to construct a reliable igniter for model rocket
concentrated on home made igniters, estes motors, and ethical problems
believed to be associated with disclosing information on any devices
with explosive/pyrotechnic capabilities.  No one refered the original
poster to the 1960's vintage books on building larger model rockets out
of aluminum pipes filled with star shaped propellant castings with all
of the appropriate safety precautions spelled out in great detail.  I
don't recall the name of the specific book or author ... but we had a
lot of fun as teenagers building 6 foot long 3 inch diameter rockets
with a much longer range and higher boost capability than any estes
product outside of their ramjet engines.  Only one of these "devices"
blew up on the pad ... and as a consequence of the safety instructions
my crew and I were all well protected behind our earthen bunker.

Personally, if I wanted to build bombs I'd buy military surplus goods
containing the appropriate detonators, propellants, and explosives.  I
wouldn't bother trying to jury rig some home brew detonators ... they
are just going to be far too dangerous.  As far as other uses for this
information (e.g. the flame on reviewing the possibility of using flash
bulbs as reliable ignitors for gun powder), has anyone considered going
into the special effects business (e.g. fake explosions with a lot of
flash and no concussion?) for assisting in movie making.  We at USC have
a very good film school ... and this is just the kind of advice which
would be helpful in setting up such innocuous explosions safely.

In article <14335@oberon.USC.EDU>, annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
> No one refered the original
> poster to the 1960's vintage books on building larger model rockets out
> of aluminum pipes filled with star shaped propellant castings with all
> of the appropriate safety precautions spelled out in great detail.  I
> don't recall the name of the specific book or author ... but we had a
> lot of fun as teenagers building 6 foot long 3 inch diameter rockets
> with a much longer range and higher boost capability than any estes
> product outside of their ramjet engines.  Only one of these "devices"
> blew up on the pad ... and as a consequence of the safety instructions
> my crew and I were all well protected behind our earthen bunker.

	Times have changed.  What was acceptable in the 1960's may not
be acceptable today due to increased congnizance of health, safety and
environmental issues.  Many restrictions on the use and transportion of
pyrotechnic and explosive devices have occured since those in existance
in the 1960's.  A 6 foot 3 inch diameter rocket filled with propellant
will hardly be considered a "model rocket" today!   Furthermore, not
everyone follows safety instructions, expecially with respect to the
effort involved in building an "earthen bunker".

> Personally, if I wanted to build bombs I'd buy military surplus goods
> containing the appropriate detonators, propellants, and explosives.  I
> wouldn't bother trying to jury rig some home brew detonators ... they
> are just going to be far too dangerous.

	I'm glad that you agree "home brew detonators" would be "far too
dangerous".  Guess what?  You can't buy them military surplus, either.
Explosives, propellants and detonators (with the sole exception of
some magneto "blasting machines" which have occasionally turned up) have
_never_ been lawfully sold as military surplus.  Even the sale of surplus
small arms ammunition was halted by the Defense Logistics Agency in the
1950's.

> As far as other uses for this
> information (e.g. the flame on reviewing the possibility of using flash
> bulbs as reliable ignitors for gun powder), has anyone considered going
> into the special effects business (e.g. fake explosions with a lot of
> flash and no concussion?) for assisting in movie making.  We at USC have
> a very good film school ... and this is just the kind of advice which
> would be helpful in setting up such innocuous explosions safely.

	Explosives use for legitimate motion picture operations is carefully
regulated, and any special effects technician involved will be required to
have the same licenses and permits (which vary from state to state, in
addition to involving ATF) as one who handles explosives for say, a mining
operation.  There are almost no unregulated pyrotechnic products used in
motion picture production, with the possible exception of lycopodium powder.
Do you think that the USC "film school" is a free-for-all for anyone who
wants to devise new explosives under the guise of motion picture use?  Get
real.  Don't take my word for it, though; ask someone who is professionally
involved with motion picture production.

	There is a REAL PROBLEM, TODAY, involving the construction of
pipe bombs and other explosive devices by juveniles and high school
students.  In 1988, less than six miles from where I live there were
two pipe bomb explosions in high schools.  In the incident which occurred
at Lancaster (NY) High School, the intended victim (yes, there was one)
lost some fingers, in addition to sustaining other injuries.  In the
incident which occurred at Akron (NY) High School, a pipe bomb exploded
in a locker, spraying a hallway with shrapnel - just five minutes before
class change (fortunately no one was injured - 5 minutes difference
would have resulted in carnage).

	Someone sent me email claiming that the poster of the article
posing the original question about building detonators was only 13 years
old.  It is true that sufficient information exists in the public domain
with respect to construction of detonators and explosive devices.  If
someone wants it that badly - and has the intelligence and maturity to
know where to look - they will find it.  Under the circumstances, however,
it is irresponsible for anyone to post such explicit information to the
Net - expescially for the benefit of a 13-year old!

piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) (12/30/88)

In article <17942@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      The highest power-to-weight ratio in batteries is found in the Polaroid
>PolaPulse (TM) battery.  This is a flat object about the size of a playing

Just to bring things full circle, sort of, I have seen Estes ignition
systems sold, and they were designed to use PolaPulse batteries.
Indeed, the batteries were right there next to the system.
Basicly, you can get everything you need for electic fuses at any
store that sells model rocket supplies. (Some stores keep the
hot stuff behind the counter nowadays. So ask.)

					Richard Piner

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/30/88)

In part, I felt my technical tips were amusing.  But in equal part, I wasok
offended by your suggestion that you had information which you were holding
back from the Net for the protection of ourselves, society at large, yourself,
or whoever.  Restriction of the free flow of information really sets me off.
You were waving a red flag in front of a bull.

I didn't reveal stuff I considered really nasty.  Like how to modify common
insecticides to increase their potency toward mammilian species.  Or how
to make efficient mechanisms for dispersing a poisonous liquid into an aerosal.
In fact, I consider the facts I disclosed to be rather obvious to the
thinking mind.

Do the readers of this newsgroup prefer self-censorship, external
censorship, or no censorship at all?  I suspect the vast majority prefer
no censorship at all.

Am I right or am I wrong?  C'mon net.electronics, pass judgement on Larry
Lippman vs. me!  Do you want maximum facts, or just the facts you can be
trusted with?

dillon@jumbo.dec.com (John Dillon) (12/31/88)

In article <13062@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> I didn't reveal stuff I considered really nasty.

In other words, you and Larry Lippman differ only in where to draw
the line.

> In fact, I consider the facts I disclosed to be rather obvious to the
> thinking mind.

a)  Let thinking minds think for themselves; they enjoy it.

b)  The net delivers email to thinking and unthinking minds alike.

c)  Unthinking mind + dangerous data =  hazard at large.

I am inclined to draw the line rather conservatively.
You are wrong; please heed Larry Lippman.

-- John

disclaimer
n.
1. the act of disclaiming; the renouncing, repudiating, or denying of a
   claim; disavowal.
2. a person who disclaims.
3. a statement, document, or the like, that disclaims.

chan@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jeff Chan) (12/31/88)

From article <13062@cup.portal.com>, by mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson):
> In part, I felt my technical tips were amusing.  But in equal part, I wasok
> offended by your suggestion that you had information which you were holding
> back from the Net for the protection of ourselves, society at large, yourself,
> or whoever.  Restriction of the free flow of information really sets me off.
> You were waving a red flag in front of a bull.

I consider these issues to be central to American society (and its problems)
too (although very likely not central to sci.electronics, but I'm merely
following up).  "The free flow of information" is really freedom of speech
which is one of the rights that makes America great.  Of course it can be
abused by people who are irresponsibile or who want to destroy resposibility,
but I for one would not like to see freedom of speech curtailed in any way.

"Protection of ourselves" reminds me of a favorite pet peeve akin to taking
away candy from kids (which of course is now being done in the name of health).
My pet peeve is the eventual banning of fireworks.  This is relevant to the
current discussion in that people who have access to "dangerous" fireworks
usually learn to respect their power when the fireworks are safely used
under adult supervision.  I think there are many valuable lessons from such
experience, not the least of which is learning to be responsible for your
own actions (which you do sort of "own").  These devices are admittedly
hazardous and are potentially dangerous *if a human being misuses them*,
and they really drive home the idea that there are dangers in the world,
but that through responsible action, we can control some of them.

(I'm tempted to make a gun analogy, but a car can be and is more often
used as a deadly weapon.  I'm opossed to drinking (drugs) and driving
but I hate seeing MADD pushing unconstitutional road blocks in the name
of safety.  Can anyone say "illegal search and seizure?"  Does anyone
remember learning about the actions of the British Army in colonial
America?  Can anyone say "restrictions on freedom of movement"?)

People who grow up expecting and having "them" to protect us from this
and that (why don't "they" do something about x) will likely have a less
concrete understanding of their own potential for death and destruction.
They are probably also less clear on their own potential for good and
why the founding fathers demanded freedom *and* responsibility.

> In fact, I consider the facts I disclosed to be rather obvious to the
> thinking mind.

Yes, and anyone who can't figure out how to make a bomb more lethal will
probably blow him/herself up in the first few attempts anyway.  (1/2
Darwinian :-)  The original poster may not have had any evil intentions,
but he should be made to realize that otherwise decent people who
offensively harm other people *will* suffer punishment.  (Prison would
surely be a living hell.)  But we don't know; perhaps the poster merely
wanted to safely set off some fireworks at midnight on new years eve?
It's actually too bad that the laws and spirit of the times are so
opressive that someone can't just come out and ask about such an
application.

> Do the readers of this newsgroup prefer self-censorship, external
> censorship, or no censorship at all?  I suspect the vast majority prefer
> no censorship at all.

I prefer no censorship for the same reasons as above.  People are only
*truly free* when their words and actions are unrestricted; people can only
be *truly responsible* when they have a clear understanding of the consequences
of their unrestricted words and actions.  (Is this a form of anarchism?
If so I think it is not contrary to the American ethic.)  If you are
"protected" from ever having to consider the consequences of your own
actions, you will have a hard time developing a moral conscience and
clear judgement.

(I don't know if I'm convincing anyone, but I most definitely appreciate
the *opportunity to try*.  Do you understand why?)

My personal opinions, (*)

Jeff C.
Internet: chan@ames.arc.nasa.gov
UUCP:     ames!chan

(*) This is a disclaimer claiming freedom of speech and protecting my
employers {& employment :-};  it does not mean that I think what I say
should be ignored as personal opinion.  (I got into a long conversation
about this on the net with someone else, so I thought I'd explain it here.)

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (01/01/89)

In article <14335@oberon.USC.EDU> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>It seems strange to me that everyone replying to the original request
>for information on how to construct a reliable igniter for model rocket
>concentrated on home made igniters, estes motors, and ethical problems
>believed to be associated with disclosing information on any devices
>with explosive/pyrotechnic capabilities.  No one refered the original
>poster to the 1960's vintage books on building larger model rockets out
>of aluminum pipes filled with star shaped propellant castings with all
>of the appropriate safety precautions spelled out in great detail.  I
>don't recall the name of the specific book or author ... but we had a
>lot of fun as teenagers building 6 foot long 3 inch diameter rockets
>with a much longer range and higher boost capability than any estes
>product outside of their ramjet engines.  Only one of these "devices"
>blew up on the pad ... and as a consequence of the safety instructions
>my crew and I were all well protected behind our earthen bunker.

I remember that when I was in high school (circa 1975) the library
had an issue of "Scientific American" that described how to build
a 'model' rocket, that sounds much like the one you describe.  The
column was "The Amateur Scientist," I think.

The rocket was moderately complex, for something you build as an
'amateur.'  It definitely had an aluminum body tube.  It also
involved rather large amounts of propellant, the composition of
which I don't remember.  The article also suggested creating a bunker,
out of old railroad ties, I think.

Geez, can you imagine somebody setting off one of these puppies in
his back yard?  Not to mention the hazards to aircraft.

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/02/89)

Look, everybody.  If I WANTED to build a bomb I could.  I had a very
bad experience with calcium carbide at school once.  I had brought it
to science class as a part of a discussion of caves (it's used in spelunkers'
headlamps) and stored it in my gym locker since the gym period and science
period are right next to each other.  Through a misunderstanding, the stuff
ended up wet in a garbage can in the bathroom.  It COULD have turned into
a bad situation, but I knew exactly what I was dealing with and acted
accordingly.  Because of that one incident, I'm STILL introduced to people
by my friends as "The guy who built the carbon  (sic) bomb and blew up
the gym".  Anyway, the point is that is I wanted to make a bomb,
I'd do it with potassium nitrate and aluminum filings and charcoal
and good rocket launchers which are commercially produced.  I WOULDN'T
do it with spit and calcium carbide and a cigarette.  I would take a Coke
bottle, put tinfoil and a certain ingredient (very easy to get) into it,
and chuck it down the hall.  BUT I DON'T.  The reason is simple.  I
don't like hurting people.  But let's say someone does a horrible deed
unto me.  I take a M-80 casing from a certain company, the address of which
I have, and fill it with a certain chemical, like pressure sensitive flash
powder, then stick it in the jerk's locker.  He opens his locker, it blows
up in his face, and...
   FEEN DID IT!  He's the one who blew up the gym! (I didn't do that, remember?

) I get blamed. I go to court. I end up either in Junior Detention Home
or in jail.  So I would never actually build a bomb, not even paint
somebody's chair with ammonium tri-iodide. I want to know about the rocket
launcher (nichrome wire) because I'm interested in electronics. I would
rather use an Estes rocket launcher IF I built a bomb, which I wouldn't,
than some idea thought up by a kid at MIT which won't work unless it's
submerged in some chemical, and if it isn't it blows me up............
But I digress.
Thanx everybody!  I'll digest all this and send it back without headers.

jeffw@midas.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/03/89)

I think Larry's just worried that Ben Feen is Mark Ethan Smith's nephew.

Oh, if you insist.

:-)

jeffw@midas.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/03/89)

Alright, who's the fuckhead who cross-posted from sci.electronics into
talk.politics.misc?  If anybody had any doubts that thoughtless
dissemination of information can lead to major unpleasantness, those
doubts will soon be put at rest.

I want my low-volume newsgroup back!!

(Followups are directed to talk.politics.misc, which I don't read. Take
a hint.)

						Jeff Winslow

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) (01/03/89)

writes:
>Am I right or am I wrong?  C'mon net.electronics, pass judgement on Larry
>Lippman vs. me!  Do you want maximum facts, or just the facts you can be
>trusted with?

I feel Mark is wrong here.  Knowledge alone does not create wisdom; responsi-
bility is also needed.  There was considerable discussion on the net recently
about teaching ethics to computer scientists.  I wonder if Mark thinks the
author of the Worm program that caused chaos on the net should be praised or
punished?  Accepting responsibility for your actions is a moral as well as
legal issue.  Larry and I have seen the results of amateur pyrotechnists and
bomb makers (see my posting in sci.space on model rockets).  I do not want to
see more kids maimed or killed like the three this past weekend in D.C.

Larry Lippman has repeatedly demonstrated his wisdom on the net.  Mark Thorson
has only shown that he can post some "facts" without thinking about the
consequences.
                                Barry L. Ornitz

P.S.  My apologies for posting this in sci.electronics.  If this discussion
continues, it should be moved elsewhere.
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz  UUCP:..rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

billw@unix.SRI.COM (William E. Westfield) (01/03/89)

Mumble.  Freedom.  Right.  In a recent SF convention panel on censorship,
I did mention that I found it rather depressing that modern encycolpedias
no longer seem to include detailed formulas for various explosive and
pyrotechnic substances.  I guess I believe in evolution, but perhaps
population densities are getting to high to make this practical.  Sigh.

Anyway, the easiest thing I ever found to ignite electrically is steel
wool - 3 volts or so will do it (and it is cheap too!).  If you want to
get fancy, you can seperate individual strands and make a sort of lamp
filamant with a couple copper leads.  With a bigger battery, you can just
stick a couple of leads into a loosley packed lump of the stuff.

Now for the electronics lesson...

What you want to do is get a small piece of wire very hot.  To do this
you want the wire to dissipate a lot of power (in the form of heat, of
course).  The relevant equations are (Voltage = Current * Resitance) and
(Power = Current * Voltage)  Combine them and get (Power = R * Current ^2)
or (Power = (Voltage ^2)/R).  This first of these is more useful - You want
the part of the ignition system that is supposed to get hot to have a higher
resistance than the rest of the circuit - If you made the whole thing out of
nichrome, then the power available will be dissipated equally thoughout,
and no particular part will get hot enough to be interesting.  Then you
want the wire that is getting hot to have appropriate properties - nichrome
is widely used because of its electrical characteristics and because is
holds up well to repeated heatings and coolings (not particurally important
for an igniter).  Steel wool burns nicely.  Wire wrap wire melts annoyingly
if you happen to short out a polapulse battery with it :-)

The other problem is that there is a maximum current/power that any given
battery can supply.  This can be modled by assigning the battery an internal
resistance (although the actual limitaion may be elsewhere, eg the activity
of the chemical reaction involved).  If the maximum current a lithium coin
cell can provide in 30 mA, then its internal resistance is 100 ohms, and
it isn't going to make anything hot.

When I was first introduced to model rocketry, the recomended ignition
system was a car battery and a piece of nichrome wire.  Battery technolgy
has improved a lot since then - alkaline batteries, as well as Nicads and
"Polapulse" batteries can supply reasonable current, although I don't know
whether a 9V battery is good enough - the individual cells are smaller than
even a AAA sized battery (which raises interesting possibilities for all
you people interested in building small things of all sorts !).  A couple
of small Nicads would be a better idea (or a 9V nicad battery).

State of the art research type batteries have such high internal energy
that they make nice bombs all by themseleves.  Short them out an all the
heat gets dissipated internally into the solute, some of which are volatile
and flamable.  I believe that someone was actually killed when one of the
polymer batteries they were working on accidently shorted...

Bill Westfield

jeffw@midas.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/05/89)

writes:
>Am I right or am I wrong?  C'mon net.electronics, pass judgement on Larry
>Lippman vs. me!  Do you want maximum facts, or just the facts you can be
>trusted with?

It would be dangerous for anyone to have more than the facts they could be
trusted with. Think about what the phrase means, literally, and you'll see
what I mean. The problem is that nobody knows which facts I can be trusted
with, and I sure as hell want more than the facts somebody else thinks I
can be trusted with, whether that someone else is Mark or Larry or the
Federal government (especially them) or anyone else! Therein lies the rub.

Three or four years ago, I would have said the net community was restricted
enough that your information would be very unlikely to get to someone who
would misuse it. Now I'm not so sure.

On the other hand, your information would not be all that hard to figure
out on one's own. Thus the loud trumpeting about "irresposible people
setting off bombs" right and left seems to me a rather self-righteous
overreaction - you didn't make possible something that was formerly
impossible, you just made it a little easier.

Of course, the most obnoxious articles are ones like this, that go on and
on about the issue in sci.electronics, and then say "any further discussion
should go somewhere else".  :-)

In short, a plague on both your houses.

						Jeff Winslow

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (01/05/89)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

> How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>   to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
>  I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
> Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?
> --

I used to lite up Oxygen-Acetylene Bombs with very fine wire. It was probably
about 30 gauge (guessing here), and I would tape the wire to the side of
a trashbag or newspaper waterproofing bag (yes, you sense a bygone paperboy
here). I would fill the bags with .5 Acetylene and .5 Oxygen, and then
hook the thin wire up to the 12 volt car battery, and it would glow read,
melt a hole in the bag, and ignite the mixture. I stopped doing this trick
when One day I had oil on my hands and the Oxygen spotaneously ignited the
bomb in my hand. (No permanent damage!). At any rate, try the thin wire.
Another thought is the fuses that Estes model rockets use. They should light
on up just fine! I do not know how you can contact them, but their factory
is (was when I lived there anyway) located in Penrose Colorado. Good luck!

   Greg Garner
   501-442-4847
   gmg@hcx.uucp		USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (01/06/89)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

> How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>   to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?

As your Subject: line infers - try one of the igniters from the model
rocket companies. I used a 9-v battery last summer with the kids (the
penlight cells in my igniter were dead) - worked fine all afternoon (about
20 igniters worth). The new ones have a very fine nichrome wire which
doesn't draw excessive current. The old ones (around 20 years ago - really !!)
just about needed a car battery to get them hot.

--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (01/06/89)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:

>How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
> I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
>Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?

What's wrong with a wrap of magnesium wire ?

-- richard

--
 *                          Supernovae are a blast                            *
 *                                                                            *

In article <2617@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:

> ... So I would never actually build a bomb, not even paint somebody's
>chair with ammonium tri-iodide.

Interestingly enough, my brother tells me this is a very popular gag at
MIT, except there they put it under toilet seats ...

-- richard

--
 *                          Supernovae are a blast                            *
 *                                                                            *

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Otero) (01/07/89)

In article <368@avsd.UUCP>, childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
> Interestingly enough, my brother tells me this is a very popular gag at
> MIT, except there they put it under toilet seats ...

NO! NO! NO! I've been at MIT around 8 years now: nobody but an
uneducated freshman from Harvard would do something so silly and
dangerous. To get enough to produce an appreciable effect, you
have to put, say, an ounce of the precipitate under the seat.
The drying characteristics are very chancy: In a moist environment
like a toilet seat, it might never dry and become explosive.
Or it might all go at once, spraying shrapnel all over some
unsuspecting victim's groin. I'm all for good practical jokes,
but this one is potentially lethal (remember the number of major
blood vessels in the groin!)

Now, a popper-snap taped to the little pedestal under the seat is
another story....

Sorry if this seems inappropriate for this list. But I don't
want anyone blaming my peers for foolish they don't do.

--
			Nico Garcia, Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Hospital

jim@trsvax.UUCP (01/07/89)

avsd.UUCP!childers writes in sci.electronics:
" What's wrong with a wrap of magnesium wire ?
I suppose both lack of a good source and the expense. Anyone know where to
find this stuff?

James Wyatt (uucp.rwsys!jim)

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/08/89)

I have stopped my experiments because my trusty butane torch blew up in my hand
--
   /|  This is my sig. I must learn its parts like I know myself.
\'o.O'  Steven Spielberg presents the Last Temptation of Schwartzeneggar!

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/08/89)

How do you make ammonium tri-iodide, anyway?  Just wondering.
--

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (01/10/89)

avsd.UUCP!childers writes in sci.electronics:
>" What's wrong with a wrap of magnesium wire ?
>I suppose both lack of a good source and the expense. Anyone know where to
>find this stuff?
>
>James Wyatt (uucp.rwsys!jim)

At the risk of enormous flames, both here and hereafter, the fine wire inside
a flashbulb is magnesium wire.

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (01/14/89)

In article <368@avsd.UUCP>, childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
> In article <2617@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>
> > ... So I would never actually build a bomb, not even paint somebody's
> >chair with ammonium tri-iodide.
>
> Interestingly enough, my brother tells me this is a very popular gag at
> MIT, except there they put it under toilet seats ...

In John McPhee's biography of Ted Brown, who worked on our nation's
nuclear weapons program, it is mentioned that Brown used to dab some
ammonioum tri-iodide in the keyholes of men in the dorm who were in the
habit of staying out late (with women, presumably).  Soon as they put
their keys to the lock--BANG.  Everybody on the floor knew so-and-so
had just dragged in.

Just goes to show, you CAN be a prankster in college, and still be
trusted to work on nuclear weapons.

(Also, we used to concoct this in junior high, but we were nice--all we
ever blew up was filter paper.)
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"

In article <2653@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:
>How do you make ammonium tri-iodide, anyway?  Just wondering.

If you've got any sense, you don't.  The stuff is dangerous.  Notably,
it is *not* true that it's safe when wet.  It's merely less unsafe.
And most people have totally inadequate ideas of the power of small
quantities of explosives.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) (01/15/89)

In article <1989Jan14.082541.628@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <2653@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:
>>How do you make ammonium tri-iodide, anyway?  Just wondering.
>"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

*****FLAME ON *****

	SCI.ELECTRONICS GET IT?   NOT SCI.MAKE.A.BOMB, OR SCI.WASTE.NET.BANDWIDTH
	OR SCI.DON'T.MAKE.A.BOMB OR SCI.YOU.SHOULDN'T.TELL.FUTURE.TERRORISTS.HOW.
	TO.MAKE.A.BOMB OR ***ANYTHING ELSE***

		S C I . E L E C T R O N I C S !!!

	Sorry for yelling like that, but this is way out of hand. We are trying to
	justify long distance bills for newsfeeds, and this kind of crap is making
	it *very* difficult.

*****FLAME OFF*****

	Thank you for your consideration,
		Phil

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (01/16/89)

I'm about to try it out - After our chemistry test we're  making some
Nitrogen Tri-iodide.
--

paszkows@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (paszkows) (01/16/89)

In article <2557@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.UUCP (Ben Feen) writes:

>How can I use a 9-volt battery and other componentsx
>  to heat something up enough that I can light a fuse with it?
> I want something which will get hot without shorting out the 9-volt.
>Will diodes work, or am I mistaken?

I doubt whether you could obtain the desired temperature with diodes.

Use a piece of very fine wire, which when passing current through it will
get very hot indeed.
One method I have tried is to use a Brillo pad ( TM ) - a mass of
steel wool will soap for cleaning pans.

Take about 1/2 cm3 of wool, stick two wires into it and pass current. Bit of
it will melt. I believe the IRA and other terrorist organisation used this type
of igniter in crude bombs. ( IT is enough to set of gunpowder or similar
explosive ).

                                      #  "If this is heaven ahm bailin' out"  #
                                      #                 - THE BIRTHDAY PARTY  #