[sci.electronics] Using Phono in for CD input.

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (01/14/89)

I have a Fisher RS-1035 stereo receiver that has a Tape input, aux input,
and a phono input. I would like to hook my CD up to the phono input, but
it doesn't work right. I assume that the phone level input is much
lower than the CD level input, along with having a different input
impedance. Is there a circuit (like maybe a resistor divider network)
that would let me hook up the cd? (I might settle for hooking up my
Amiga stereo audio outputs there, as it is not as high quality as the cd)

Thanks in advance for any help.

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

i8d311v@auc.dk (Morten Tolboel) (01/16/89)

In article <1619@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:

>I have a Fisher RS-1035 stereo receiver that has a Tape input, aux input,
>and a phono input. I would like to hook my CD up to the phono input, but
>it doesn't work right. I assume that the phone level input is much
>lower than the CD level input, along with having a different input
>impedance. Is there a circuit (like maybe a resistor divider network)
>that would let me hook up the cd? (I might settle for hooking up my
>Amiga stereo audio outputs there, as it is not as high quality as the cd)

The inputlevel and the impedance isn't the only problem here.

In a phono-input of a receiver there is a so-called RIAA-filter,
which will tear-up your nice CD-music (damping the higher freq.).

My suggestion is to make a switch between your aux-signal and
your CD-signal, as they both have the same level and impedance AND
don't involve nasty filters.

-----------------------------------!--------------------------
Kind regards                       ! JUB TVJOJA MAJD
Morten Tolboel                     ! all you ruskies !
Institute for electronic systems   !
University of Aalborg              ! Mixnimoxboxfox
Denmark (not a suburb of Sweden!)  !
                                   !
Mail: i8d311v@aud.dk               !
  or  i8d311v@aud.uucp             !