[sci.electronics] i2ack request ...

mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Marc W. Mengel) (01/29/89)

In article <198@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>Regarding people asking about the legality of various modems in Europe.

>People have to remember that each country usually has its own electrical
>codes and standards.  The reason why a particular modem isn't legal in
>some country but is legal in others often has nothing to do with
>"monopolistic" PTT's per-se.  It could be a safety requirement.  It
>could also be that North American style modems simply wouldn't work there
>even if they were legal!

 [ electrical isolation, impedances, etc. ]

>I wouldn't blindly assume that restrictions on modems are due to monopoly.
>Nor are the standards themselves - each country has different tradeoffs on
>what is a justifiable risk, and are often working under different environments
>(eg: 240V mains in Britain).  Our CSA is tougher than US UL.  BTT (Britain)
>is overall much tougher than CSA.  Etc.

Okay, so why doesn't some friendly electrical engineering type out there
build an isolation-box that takes Swedish or German or English phone
signals in/out one side, and U.S. phone signals in/out the other, with
possibly opitcal isolation in the middle.

		       +----------+
Tephone Net============| ISOLATOR |===============Modem

Then this little isolation box is the only thing that needs to meet
the local standards is the isolation box, and not the actual equipment
(modems, etc.).  With such a box, you could hook up telephones, modems,
fax machines, answering machines, etc.  I'm cross posting this to
sci.electronics... anybody over there heard of such a thing?

--
 Marc Mengel					mmengel@cuuxb.att.com
 						attmail!mmengel