[sci.electronics] tones

joe@zygot.UUCP (Joe Talbot) (01/29/89)

There are some nifty tone chips available:

Teltone M-991 color burst crystal based, makes all precise tones, 4 bit
control register (makes one tone at a time)
Teltone M-993 color burst crystal based, makes MF tones, same pinout
Mitel MT8880 touch tone tranceiver, microprocessor interface (4 bits
control {read/write}, R/not write line, clock, best suited for motorola
interface though AP notes show intel as well. Also has call progress
mode, will show activity within a passband where precise tones normally
live.
Teltone also has an SIT decoder, special information tones are often
heard on disconnected or cannot complete your call recordings. The
durations of the tones and combinations of different durations mean
different things. Customer owned pay phones often look for these to
determine whether to charge or not for a call (my voice mail box has
SITs on it to save money).

With the teltone 991 available, I cant understand why EVERYTHING
doesn't have precise tones, they're neat!

Normally at apple!zygot!mojave!joe (just visiting up here)

mikeb@tikal.Teltone.COM (Mike Balch) (01/31/89)

In article <292@zygot.UUCP> joe@zygot.UUCP (Joe Talbot) writes:
>There are some nifty tone chips available:
>
>Teltone M-991 color burst crystal based, makes all precise tones, 4 bit
>control register (makes one tone at a time)
This chip will provide single tone outputs of 350, 400, 440, and 620 Hz
or the combinations of two of these tones depending on what you have input
on pins D0 - D3. The combination tones, when cycled at the proper
interruption rate create your call progress tones.

>Teltone also has an SIT decoder, special information tones are often
>heard on disconnected or cannot complete your call recordings. The
>durations of the tones and combinations of different durations mean
>different things. Customer owned pay phones often look for these to
>determine whether to charge or not for a call (my voice mail box has
>SITs on it to save money).
This would be our M-984, "Special Tone and Call Progress Tone Detector
IC". This chip provides detect outups for 400/425, 950, 1400, and 1800 Hz
tones.

Email me for more specfic info.

Teltone Product Support
Mike Balch