[sci.electronics] Mystery chips on S-100 processor board

paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) (01/28/89)

Hello. At a recent SwapFest here in the milwaukee area, I picked up a (more or
less) full s-100 system for approx. $65. The CPU board is an "Ithaca Audio"
Z-80 board, and it won't be too hard to fix up...However, my problem is a few
chips on the board. From the schematics, you can tell that they are buffer
chips such as the 74LS245, or '374, albeit they have only 16 pins. Their part
numbers are 8T97 and 8T98. Does anybody know if they are still produced, and if
so, where they are available? Thanks much...

Mark

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (01/29/89)

In article <617@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
> From the schematics, you can tell that they are buffer
> chips such as the 74LS245, or '374, albeit they have only 16 pins. Their part
> numbers are 8T97 and 8T98. Does anybody know if they are still produced, and if
> so, where they are available? Thanks much...

Ah, yes, I remember them well.  They're hex tri-state buffers --
the 8T97 is non-inverting and the 8T98 is inverting.  I don't
know if you can still get them or not, but you might have better
luck looking for 8097 and 8098 which are equivalents from another
manufacturer.  I have pin-outs and specs if that would be of any
use and I may even have some in the old junk box, but I'd have to
look.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@sdrc.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"When all else fails, read the directions."

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (01/29/89)

paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>Hello. At a recent SwapFest here in the milwaukee area, I picked up a (more or
>less) full s-100 system for approx. $65. The CPU board is an "Ithaca Audio"
>numbers are 8T97 and 8T98. Does anybody know if they are still produced, and if
>so, where they are available? Thanks much...

   Jameco lists both of those (8T97 and 8T98) as Signetics chips.  They are
described as "High Speed Tri-State Hex Buffer" for $.75 and "High Speed
Tri-State Hex Inverter" for $.75 (respectively).

    Greg Bell_________________________________________________________
      Hardware hacker          |
      Electronics hobbyist     | UUCP:  uunet!serene!pnet12!gbell
      EE major at UC San Diego |

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (01/29/89)

Further research reveals that they are also equivalent to the
74367 and 74368 which you should have no trouble locating.
(I KNEW those 10 year old IC Masters would come in handy some
day!)

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@sdrc.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"When all else fails, read the directions."

sgt@dukeac.UUCP (Stephen G. Tell) (01/29/89)

About 5 years ago I built an S-100 system starting with a bare Ithaca Audio
front panel board that I bought at a flea market.  I found that Ithaca
was still in business in some form or other, and was able to get a complete
manual for the thing after signing a non-disclosure agreement.  If you
can't find them, let me know and I'll try to dig up the address, which may
take a while since the docs are home in NJ and I'm at school here in NC.

As for the chips, posssibly they are 8000 series TTL? (81LS97, 81LS98) or
somthing?
some of the mail-order companies still carry these; Jameco used to.
Looking at their catalog and my 1981 Natioal Semiconductor databook; they
both list an 81LS95 through '98, but they're 20-pin
devices.  My Ithaca board used some chips in this series; they turned
out to be very like 74LS244's with different pinouts.  I got them someplace;
probably Jameco but I don't remember.
My National databook lists a whole slew of TTL stuff with 8000 series numbers.

Your best bet for definitive info on what the chips are is a good collection of
databooks.  There are lots of chips our there that we've never heard of.
--
Steve Tell:  senior, Duke University school of Engineering (please hire me).
Former Chief Engineer, Cable 13 / Duke Union Community Television.

paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) (01/29/89)

Hello. I'd like to thank all of those that responded to my question about the
8T97 and 8T98. It seems that Jameco STILL carries them, and the 'LS367-368, so
I'm about to order a small supply of those before they run out...(You know how
fast those get taken....:-) ) Thanks again!

Mark

+  Things are not what |  Albert Einstein got his name after he got smashed   +
+  they appear to be...|  from drinking only one stien of beer. Hence; Albert +
+______________________|  EinStien.                                           +
+                                                                             +
+  Mark D. Kakatsch --->  paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                          +

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) (01/30/89)

In article (617@csd4.milw.wisc.edu), paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
 (Mark David Kakatsch) writes,

>Hello. At a recent SwapFest here in the milwaukee area, I picked up a (more or
>less) full s-100 system for approx. $65. The CPU board is an "Ithaca Audio"
>Z-80 board, and it won't be too hard to fix up...However, my problem is a few
>chips on the board. From the schematics, you can tell that they are buffer
>chips such as the 74LS245, or '374, albeit they have only 16 pins. Their part
>numbers are 8T97 and 8T98. Does anybody know if they are still produced, and if
>so, where they are available? Thanks much...
>
>Mark

The 8T97 and 8T98 are buffer devices for bus i/o. They are still being made
and can be had from various electronics parts suppliers such as Jameco or
JDR Microdevices. Offhand, I don't recall which does what exactly. I believe
that they are tristate devices.

JJD
 A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com

twheless@hpbsla.HP.COM (01/31/89)

/ hpbsla:sci.electronics / paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) /  8:29 am  Jan 29, 1989 /

----------

koontz@oregon (01/31/89)

In article <617@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
> Hello. At a recent SwapFest here in the milwaukee area, I picked up a (more
  or
> less) full s-100 system for approx. $65. The CPU board is an "Ithaca Audio"
> Z-80 board, and it won't be too hard to fix up...However, my problem is a
> few chips on the board. From the schematics, you can tell that they are
> buffer
>...Their
> part numbers are 8T97 and 8T98. Does anybody know if they are still
 produced, and if
> so, where they are available? Thanks much...
>
> Mark

Signetics parts

    8T97 may be replaced with a 74366
    8T98 may be replaced with a 74368

Check for differences in propagation and tristate times, probably is a don't
care.

ciciora@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ciciora; Steven joseph) (01/31/89)

In article <520@sdrc.UUCP> scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
>In article <617@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>
>Ah, yes, I remember them well.  They're hex tri-state buffers --
>the 8T97 is non-inverting and the 8T98 is inverting.  I don't
>know if you can still get them or not, but you might have better
>luck looking for 8097 and 8098 which are equivalents from another
>manufacturer.  I have pin-outs and specs if that would be of any
>use and I may even have some in the old junk box, but I'd have to
>look.

  Sorry, my data books are in the process of moving to a new home,
so I'm not sure.  If I remember right, the 8T97 is the same pin -out
of a 74ls367.  I believe I even replaced the 8T97 w/ 74ls367 in an old
apple ][ for a freind years back.  Don't know about loading, current
output, speed, etc.

Steven Ciciora