[sci.electronics] Where to get "black light" tubes?

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/24/89)

Where can I get "black light" (longwave ultraviolet) fluorescent-lamp
tubes??

When disco music was big in the '70s, they were available in every
grocery store but now even the Edmund Scientific "Industrial" catalog
doesn't have them except in super-expensive assemblies.  I'm looking
for a 4-watt UV tube to replace the white tube in a Radio Sh**
battery-powered fluorescent lamp, to be used to illuminate fluorescent
cave formations.

(Actively growing white-calcite stalactites and stalagmites are
usually fluorescent. They are blue under longwave UV, green when
excited by a xenon strobe light.  The fluorescence/phosphorescence is
believed to be caused by included organic-decay products.)

--

Frank Reid    W9MKV @ WA8YVR   NSS 9086    reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu
PO Box 5283

In article <7200027@silver>, commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
> Where can I get "black light" (longwave ultraviolet) fluorescent-lamp
> tubes??
>
> When disco music was big in the '70s, they were available in every
> grocery store but now even the Edmund Scientific "Industrial" catalog
> doesn't have them except in super-expensive assemblies.  I'm looking
> for a 4-watt UV tube to replace the white tube in a Radio Sh**
> battery-powered fluorescent lamp, to be used to illuminate fluorescent
> cave formations.

	It's okay, you can say Radio Shit on the Net. :-)

	What you want is an F4T5/BL or F4T5BLB fluorescent lamp, made
by General Electric and other vendors.  This is a 4-watt lamp, approximately
6 inches long and 5/8 inch in diameter.  It is a miniature bi-pin lamp
which is designed for a pre-heat circuit (although with high voltage and/or
high frequency excitation, it need not be run as a pre-heat lamp.

	Try any wholesale electrical supply distributor, such as Graybar
Electric.  I would guess the lamp to be around $ 5.00 or less.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231          {att|hplabs|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (01/26/89)

    There's a company called Ultraviolet Products that I got in touch with
when I was looking for a UV tube to erase EPROMs.   They have all sorts of UV
tubes for many different applications (ie. all wavelengths).

      UVP's information:

                                Phone:  1-800-4LAMPUV
                              Address:
                                            5100 Walnut Grove
                                            PO Box 1501
                                            San Gabriel, CA, 91778

    Greg Bell_________________________________________________________
      Hardware hacker          |
      Electronics hobbyist     | UUCP:  uunet!serene!pnet12!gbell
      EE major at UC San Diego |

rdi@cci632.UUCP (Rick Inzero) (01/26/89)

In article <2955@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <7200027@silver>, commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>> Where can I get "black light" (longwave ultraviolet) fluorescent-lamp
>> tubes??
>>
>> ... I'm looking
>> for a 4-watt UV tube to replace the white tube in a Radio Sh**
>> battery-powered fluorescent lamp, to be used to illuminate fluorescent
>> cave formations.
>
>	What you want is an F4T5/BL or F4T5BLB fluorescent lamp, made
>by General Electric and other vendors.  This is a 4-watt lamp, approximately
>6 inches long and 5/8 inch in diameter.  It is a miniature bi-pin lamp
>which is designed for a pre-heat circuit (although with high voltage and/or
>high frequency excitation, it need not be run as a pre-heat lamp.
>
>	Try any wholesale electrical supply distributor, such as Graybar
>Electric.  I would guess the lamp to be around $ 5.00 or less.

I've collected fluorescent minerals (don't worry- not cave formations!)
for years, and own a twin-tube UV light made by Raytech (4W longwave and 4W
shortwave).  I think you would get much more satisfaction by investing in an
inexpensive long/short wavelength light professionally made.  The mineral
fluorescence you want to see will be MUCH more pronounced with a filter over
the bulb- to filter out most of the blue/violet wavelengths.  The blue
coating that acts as a filter on hardware store "poster lights" is extremely
inefficient at cutting out the unwanted visible light.  Also, MANY more
minerals fluoresce under shortwave than longwave.  You can get a nice battery
powered lamp with a single bulb that produces BOTH long and short wavelengths
for under (I'm guessing) $30.

Two reputable places that make/sell ultraviolet lights for mineralogical
hobbiest use are:

UVP, Inc.  (Ultra Violet Products)
5100 Walnut Grove Ave
P.O. Box 1501
San Gabriel, CA   91778
818-285-3123
They will send you a free brochure about their Mineralight ultraviolet lamps.
My impression of this company is that they sell many portable models.

Raytech Industries, Inc
Industrial Way
Stafford Springs, Connecticut   06076
203-684-4273
I'm pretty sure they also have a free brocure about their product.
My impression of this company is that they sell solidly built units,
including LARGE electric display case sizes as well as portables.

I'm sure both places would sell you "replacement" (heh heh) lamps if
you still want to go that route, but I'd think the $5 price mentioned
above would be a bit low.
They both sell longwave, shortwave or long/shortwave (multi or single bulb)
lamps.

A tip to add to your enjoyment:  let your eyes adjust to the darkness before
using the lamp.  E.g. sit in the dark for 5 minutes or so, then turn on
the lamp.  Your eyes will be MUCH more sensitive to dimly fluorescent
and phosphorescent stuff; you'll be amazed.

Rick

---
Rick Inzero					rochester!cci632!rdi
Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI)			uunet!ccicpg!cci632!rdi
Rochester, NY					uunet!rlgvax!cci632!rdi

"Your grandmother never, ever called me stupid.
	She always called me 'pinhead'." -Jimmy Stewart in 1988 Campbells Soup
								commercial.

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (01/26/89)

In article <341@serene.UUCP> gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

>    There's a company called Ultraviolet Products that I got in touch with
>when I was looking for a UV tube to erase EPROMs.   They have all sorts of UV
>tubes for many different applications (ie. all wavelengths).

I did not see the original question but if you are looking for the short
wavelength UV tubes for EPROM erasure, check with any moderate electrical
or lighting supply house and ask for a "germicidal lamp" as used by
barbers.  They come in several sizes to fit standard fluorscent sockets.
I bought the 12 watt bulb that is about a foot long for about 15 bux.
I mounted a bare fixture in a piece of rain guttering.  I put the Eproms
in a piece of black foam and place the guttering upside down over the things.
This lamp will clear 27256's in about a minute.

If you are looking for "black lights", the long wavelength lamps with
the purple coating, most any gag-gift shop in the malls (Spencers, etc)
carry them.

john

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving

Aren't the light tubes in the Bug Zapper's black lights? try looking
at a hardware store or where ever you buy the Zappers. They must sell
replacement bulbs for them, no?

John Sparks