[sci.electronics] volume control of TV

grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) (01/28/89)

I'm interested in building an automatic volume control for my TV.

What I want is a device that I can splice into the leads leading
to the speaker.  It should have only 1 external componenet being
a pot.  The device should increase the volume if its a wisper and
decrease the volume if its a roar.

Does anyone know if a beast like this already exists?

Can anyone give me some pointers?

PS. I was wondering how to take apart an old cassette recorder
    that has its auto volume control already on its microphone
    input and hook this up.....BUT then there's the difference
    in signal amplitude.

please respond via email to:

	{harvard,uunet}!bbn!grossman
		or
	grossman@cc5.bbn.com

In article <35241@bbn.COM>, grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) writes:
> I'm interested in building an automatic volume control for my TV.
>
> What I want is a device that I can splice into the leads leading
> to the speaker.  It should have only 1 external componenet being
> a pot.  The device should increase the volume if its a wisper and
> decrease the volume if its a roar.

I think you are starting at the wrong end buddy. you want to tie into
the volume pot on the tv, not the speaker. putting something on the
speaker is a good way to blow out the amplifier.