[sci.electronics] Xerox Method of Making P. C. Boards

rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) (01/24/89)

There's another potential complication in the Xerox method,
I think.  It has been my experience that copy machines
frequently distort in one, or both, dimensions.  Is this
loss of 1:1 scale a problem??  It can be very difficult to
notice in copying the printed page, but bothersome when
copying things that need to be at the right scale (e. g.
maps).
             Roger      rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/25/89)

rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov writes:

>[...] copy machines frequently distort in one, or both, dimensions.
>Is this loss of 1:1 scale a problem??  It can be very difficult to
>notice in copying the printed page, but bothersome when copying things
>that need to be at the right scale (e.  g.  maps).

That's the reason that I was discussing output from a premium laser
prnter, and mentioning that I was twiddling scale factors to keep
everything within tolerance.  Making the transparency with ThermoFax
wouldn't mess up the aspect ratio, because ThermoFax is a
contact-printing process.

Kevin Kenny			UUCP: {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!kenny
Department of Computer Science	ARPA Internet or CSNet: kenny@CS.UIUC.EDU
University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield Ave.
Urbana, Illinois, 61801		Voice: (217) 333-6680

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (02/06/89)

In article <2247@lll-lcc.llnl.gov> rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>          It has been my experience that copy machines
>frequently distort in one, or both, dimensions.

I am under the impression that this is true by design.  A friend of
mine was at Xerox when they released their new, highest resolution
copier (of the time).  They were called in when it was discovered
that a dollar bill changer at the campus where one of these copiers
had been being beta tested had been accepting copies made by this
machine.

The solution was to change the scale slightly.

By the way, this fellow still has the urge to put an "xc" on a
memo instead of a "cc".
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)