[sci.electronics] recommendations for PROM/EPROM programmer...

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (02/02/89)

does anyone have a recommendation for a low priced EPROM programmer
that i could download motorola S-Record files to from the serial
port on a Sun workstation?  TEK files would be ok, too...

most of the products out there seem to be aimed at those who use
PCs as the development system...  i'm looking for something that
can burn 27256 and 27512 proms.  i occasionally borrow a Stag programmer,
but it is too expensive ($8k) to buy.  i'm looking for something for
under $1000....  thanks in advance...

--
   Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com) ((617 239 9406)) (((617 890 6844))) ()

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (02/05/89)

In article <2519@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> does anyone have a recommendation for a low priced EPROM programmer
> that i could download motorola S-Record files to from the serial
> port on a Sun workstation?  TEK files would be ok, too...
>
> most of the products out there seem to be aimed at those who use
> PCs as the development system...  i'm looking for something that
> can burn 27256 and 27512 proms.  i occasionally borrow a Stag programmer,
> but it is too expensive ($8k) to buy.  i'm looking for something for
> under $1000....  thanks in advance...
>
>    Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com) ((617 239 9406)) (((617 890 6844))) ()

I have used a B&C microsystems Eprom programmer for about two years
now and I really like it. I bought it in kit for for about 300.00
with a case. The one I have is the 1409C, and it can program
 most anything, including most microcontrollers with eproms inside.
It cannot do motorola eprom microcontrollers. I loaned my programmer
and manual to someone, so I do not have the phone number handy, but
look in the back of byte or EDN for their add. They also have a lower
cost version (used to be $99) that does less stuff, but still programs
most all eproms. Have a Rainbow Day!

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

royf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (02/05/89)

In article <2519@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> does anyone have a recommendation for a low priced EPROM programmer
>    Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com) ((617 239 9406)) (((617 890 6844))) ()

I have a Bytek S125GL.  I have had many problems with it:  late delivery,
the serial port was DOA, in spite of claims several advertised features
did not work (such as set programming on 2732's).  They sent the wrong
cable.  After the port was repaired and the firmware updated - it worked
for a while - then the memory failed.  I fixed that myself.  Now the
serial port is broken again!  This piece of junk cost about $2200!

Roy Frederick, Dallas County Data Services
504 Records Bldg
Dallas, TX 75202  (214) 653-6340

klby@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/06/89)

I have a nice little eprom burner that will do 2708's to 27256's (and maby 512's
Im not sure without the manual) It plugs in the user port of a Commodore 64
computer.  It is not the flashest hardware I have ever used, but they sell for
$69.00 from Datel Computers.  The software will even let you assemble or
disassemble 6502 code.  It has the usual features of letting you load and save
from disk or tape and verify the eprom's programming.  You cant beet it for the
price.

                               Matthew Kleinmann

bob@reed.UUCP (Mythical Bob Ankeney) (02/07/89)

     My recommendation is a product made by B&C Microsystems in Sunnyvale, CA.
They advertise in Byte Magazine.  It knows intel hex and motorola S formats
as well as generic hex and binary.  It handles 2758-27512 EPROMS, EEPROMS
like the 2817, and some intel 8740 series microprocessors.  It's pretty
inexpensive ($545 for fully assembled with EPROM eraser/timer), or a basic
kit starts at $165.  I think they also have a gang programmer option.
Their phone number is 408-730-5511.  I've convinced several friends to buy
the same and they're all quite happy.  It works at up to 19K baud.  I have
some unix software to talk to it if you should be interested.  (BTW, if I
sound like a salesman, I'm not;  just a satisfied customer :-} ).

	Bob Ankeney
	...!tektronix!reed!bob or bob@reed.BITNET

"You can't argue with a sick mind."

Bob Ankeney  ...!tektronix!reed!bob or bob@reed.BITNET