[sci.electronics] Pro-2004 going on sale?

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (02/07/89)

The Pro-2004 was on sale for a few weeks last summer.  Don't hold your
breath for another sale.  Typically Radio Shack only puts stuff on sale
that aren't selling well.  Unfortunately, the PRO-2004 has been doing
OK at it's $430 price.

However, there is a shortcut!  Grove Enterprises (the publisher of
Monitoring Times, a pretty good magazine) sells it at $389, including
an instruction sheet that tells you how to modify it for cellular
coverage.  If anybody wants the address/ordering info/telephone number
for Grove, let me know and I'll find it for you.

By the way, I have a 2004 (that I bought at full price) and I love it
(just a little info for those that are thinking about buying one).

I've done the following mods and anybody that is interested in how to
do them can send me mail:

Cellular coverage
Turbo-Scan
400 memory channels
Carrier-detection light
Remote control (scan, manual, search up/down - other keys are just as easy
to duplicate)
Tape On/Off relay (for use with the "remote" jack on a tape player to
turn it on and off when a carrier is found either in search or scan
mode).

Happy scanning!

						--- Jeff

+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
|  Jeff DePolo  [depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu]  | o  The best things in life   |
|   =>  The University of Pennsylvania  <=     |    come in six-packs.        |
| Class of 1991 - Computer Science Engineering | o  Life begins at 85 MPH.    |
+----------------------------------------------+ o  It's not illegal if they  |
| DISCLAIMER:  Someone else used my account.   |    don't catch you.          |
+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (02/07/89)

In article <7706@netnews.upenn.edu> depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) writes:
]By the way, I have a 2004 (that I bought at full price) and I love it
](just a little info for those that are thinking about buying one).

I think the Pro-2004 is a heck of a good scanner. However,  one problem
that it has is front-end desense. On two that I have tested, they
lost 38dB (!!!) of sensitivity when connected to a good antenna
that was letting in -15dBm of FM signals (sensitivity loss was on VHF-Hi
Band). Turning on the attenuator on the back actually improved sensitivity
by 28 dB. I have found that using the radio shack FM reject filter in
front of the scanner seems to help, but it is 75 ohm with wierd (F)
connectors, which is a bit of a kludge.
]
]I've done the following mods and anybody that is interested in how to
]do them can send me mail:
]
]Cellular coverage
]Turbo-Scan
]400 memory channels
]Carrier-detection light
Please post
]Remote control (scan, manual, search up/down - other keys are just as easy
]to duplicate)
Please post!

--
John Moore (NJ7E)           mcdphx!anasaz!john asuvax!anasaz!john
(602) 861-7607 (day or eve)

rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201) (02/09/89)

In article <1555@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>I think the Pro-2004 is a heck of a good scanner. However,  one problem
>that it has is front-end desense. On two that I have tested, they
>lost 38dB (!!!) of sensitivity when connected to a good antenna
>that was letting in -15dBm of FM signals (sensitivity loss was on VHF-Hi
>Band). Turning on the attenuator on the back actually improved sensitivity
>by 28 dB. I have found that using the radio shack FM reject filter in
>front of the scanner seems to help, but it is 75 ohm with wierd (F)
>connectors, which is a bit of a kludge.

You could try making a transmission line stub trap.  Get a T coax connector
and put it in the antenna coax line, and connect a length of coax cut to the
equasion:
	       length = 2953 V      where V is velocity factor (0.66)
		       -------
		       f(MHz)           length is in inches
for an open ended stub.
It comes out to 19.5 inches to trap out 100Mhz.  Only problem is that you'll
also trap out 300 Mhz, 500 Mhz, etc.
Use 1/2 the above length if you want a shorted end stub.
73 de WA2ISE