[sci.electronics] Where can I find transistor BU508D?

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu (02/07/89)

Greetings!

	I am trying to fix my Kawasho Model 3713 Monitor style color TV set
and diagnosed that a transistor (Q405 on the schematic diagram) is burned
out. The part number listed on the schematic diagram is BU508D and the
label on the transistor has the words D1439/65. Does anybody know where I
can buy this transistor. Someone told me that the part number is of
European standard. Can someone tells me its USA standard equivalence? I
called up Radio shack and it was no help.

	Also, this transistor looks like a regular NPN transistor plus a
diode connecting from emitor to collector (for protection?). I suppose I
can to replace it with a regular transistor and a diode, cann't I? Any
suggestions?

--- Kang Sun
sun@yalevms.bitnet
sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (02/08/89)

In article <49876@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>Greetings!
>
>	I am trying to fix my Kawasho Model 3713 Monitor style color TV set
>and diagnosed that a transistor (Q405 on the schematic diagram) is burned
>out. The part number listed on the schematic diagram is BU508D and the

Good Luck!!  I'm looking for a BU406 from motorola for an IBM monitor and
nobody sells it.  NO BODY.  I finally called Motorola and explained the
problem (I really to want to buy one) and the lady said she didn't have any to
sell but could send me some samples. I took her offer.
I finally found substitution but that
was strange too.  A friend found an equivalent item from Phillips, I call
Allied Electronics.  They didn't have the part either but eventually found
another substitution from New Tone (NTE).

Now, does anybody know where I can get a SGS L200C regulator?

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

Dick@cup.portal.com (dick a wotiz) (02/08/89)

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:

	> I am trying to fix my Kawasho Model 3713 Monitor style color TV set
> and diagnosed that a transistor (Q405 on the schematic diagram) is burned
> out. The part number listed on the schematic diagram is BU508D and the
> label on the transistor has the words D1439/65. Does anybody know where I
> can buy this transistor.

Most Japanese transistors I've seen use a numbering system that
starts with a single letter A-D and a few numbers.  The actual part
number is '2S' followed by whatever is marked on the transistor.
For example, the part number you should look for is 2SD1439/65.
For some reason, they never put the '2S' on the package.

As far as I've seen, 2SA and 2SB parts are PNP, while 2SC and 2SD are NPN.
(Someone prove me wrong on that one...)

My RCA SK book lists the 2SD1439 as an NPN horizontal deflection
transistor with built-in damper diode, RCA substitute # SK9422.
That should be a bit easier to find than the original part!

Dick Wotiz                                dick@portal.com
                            {uunet|sun|atari}!portal!dick

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/09/89)

|Most Japanese transistors I've seen use a numbering system that
|starts with a single letter A-D and a few numbers.  The actual part
|number is '2S' followed by whatever is marked on the transistor.
|For example, the part number you should look for is 2SD1439/65.
|For some reason, they never put the '2S' on the package.
|
|As far as I've seen, 2SA and 2SB parts are PNP, while 2SC and 2SD are NPN.
|(Someone prove me wrong on that one...)

In another life I had a Japanese transitor data book (in Japanese). The
numbers and letters actually mean something. (This is not surprising
given that electronics engineers like neat classifications. :-)) The
first number is the number of junctions, hence 1=diode, 2=transistor.
The second letter means (I think)

	A, B = germanium
	C, D = silicon

I'm not positive of this. I also forgot what the A/B and C/D difference
is.  (RF/audio?) Somebody please post the right info. It just so
happens that most germanium transistors are PNP and most silicon are
NPN.  The final number is just a registration number, assigned
serially.

The European system is similar. The first letter is: A=germanium,
B=silicon.  (I'll bet they have one for GaAs too.) The second letter is
the class of device, e.g. C=general purpose, F=junction FET. Then
follows a registration number. The final letter is for variants of the
same transistor (e.g. gain groups: they used so sort them by this and
sell the higher gain ones for more).  U in the second position is, I
seem to remember, for deflection/video drive transistors, hence it's
important to get one with adequate specs if you don't want to release
the smoke particles they have marvelously packed into such a small
package :-).

rmr) (02/10/89)

>Article 5832 of 5839, Tue 02:07.
>Subject: Where can I find transistor BU508D?
>From: sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu
>Newsgroups: sci.electronics
>Date: 7 Feb 89 08:07:20 GMT
>Sender: root@yale.UUCP
>
>Greetings!

>	I am trying to fix my Kawasho Model 3713 Monitor style color TV set
>and diagnosed that a transistor (Q405 on the schematic diagram) is burned
>out. The part number listed on the schematic diagram is BU508D and the
>label on the transistor has the words D1439/65. Does anybody know where I
>can buy this transistor. Someone told me that the part number is of
>European standard. Can someone tells me its USA standard equivalence? I
>called up Radio shack and it was no help.
>
>	Also, this transistor looks like a regular NPN transistor plus a
>diode connecting from emitor to collector (for protection?). I suppose I
>can to replace it with a regular transistor and a diode, cann't I? Any
>suggestions?

>--- Kang Sun
>sun@yalevms.bitnet
>sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

I looked in my ECG Semiconductors Master Replacement Guide and found:
BU508A = ECG2300
D1439  = ECG2302
The 2302 is the one you want. It has the "Damper" diode included whereas
the 2300 did not.
You can buy PhillipsECG parts at most TV/Radio Repair Parts Suppliers
(Not Radio Shack). Just look in the Yellow Pages under "Television
Supplies and Parts - Retail".
The local dealer can also check his book for a later update (my book is
1985).

		    _
		   |_|		 BE A SPORT
		   | |