[sci.electronics] Battery Sizes

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (01/30/89)

		Electronics Trivia Question of the Day:

	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?

	Battery sizes are specified by ansi standards, we are all familar with
AA, AAA, C, D, and N sizes... But what was the A size? And, were there ever
standard 1.5 V B size? (You can get B size in 4.5 and other voltages today.)
Does anyone know who developed the sizes? (Union Carbide?)
Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
Cornell Phonetics Lab   (plab!roger@cornell.uucp)
Ithaca  N.Y.
(607) 255-0704

serafine@nprdc.arpa (Ron Serafine) (01/31/89)

In article <7288@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:

>	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?
>
>	Battery sizes are specified by ansi standards, we are all familar with
>AA, AAA, C, D, and N sizes... But what was the A size? And, were there ever
>standard 1.5 V B size? (You can get B size in 4.5 and other voltages today.)
>Does anyone know who developed the sizes? (Union Carbide?)

	If I remember correctly, back in the `50's, I had a "portable", tube-
type Silvertone (Sears) brown-plastic AM radio which used two types of batter-
ies, one of which was an "A". There were two used in each radio, along with a-
another, which was large & flat-oval shaped. Anyway, the "A"'s were about the
size of 1.66 - to 2 times as long as 2 "D" cells stacked end-to-end. I believe
they were 1.5 volts each.
	The other, larger battery laid in the bottom & had a much greater volt-
age, like 12.5, or something.  The "A"'s stood up, one on each end of the radio.

	That's all I remember, besides 1) the radio only got about 100 hours
out of a set of batteries, & 2) they weren't cheap, by standards of the day.

				Ron.

Disclaimer: S.O.S.

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/31/89)

>	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?
>
>Battery sizes are specified by ansi standards, we are all familar
>with AA, AAA, C, D, and N sizes... But what was the A size? And, were
>there ever standard 1.5 V B size? (You can get B size in 4.5 and other
>voltages today.) Does anyone know who developed the sizes? (Union
>Carbide?)
>
>Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)

Duracell (tm) makes a cell which is larger than AA, smaller than C,
with roughly twice the capacity of AA.  It is available in a 3-cell
battery (Duracell # MN1203) commonly available in Europe but rarely
seen in the U.S.

Old battery sizes die because of unpopularity or obsolescence. For
example, The #6 dry cell is still available, but in the early 1900's
there were smaller #4 dry cells, and giant #8 dry cells (about the
size of a Quaker Oats box). The number refers to size; #6 dry cells
are 6" tall.

(Reference: "Collecting Early Radio Batteries" by Bob Allen, _The Old
Timer's Bulletin_ Feb. 1988 (quarterly journal of the Antique Wireless
Association, Box E, Breesport, NY 14816).

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (02/01/89)

>>	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?
>>Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)

It went the way of television channel 1, more or less. :-)

In article <7200030@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>Old battery sizes die because of unpopularity or obsolescence.

I've got an old Simpson VOM which uses not only a (single) D cell
but an old and somewhat hard-to-find battery type - I don't know
the generic designation but I remember that an Eveready type 417
is the only battery I've ever found to replace it (though this may
say more about who my parts shops buy from than who still makes
these batteries).  It's something weird like 14 volts, though that
probably means 13.5 nominal.  Does anyone out there know the origin
of this battery, and if anyone else still makes replacements?

How about some good references on (modern) power cell technology?
I've seen some articles in e.g. Radio-Electronics, but they didn't
really get into anything much besides the PolaPulse...

Phil Kos
Stuck Using My Scope DMM Again

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (02/02/89)

In article <7288@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:

> 		Electronics Trivia Question of the Day:
>
> 	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?

On a related topic:  who remembers round 9-volt batteries?

My first transistor radio (which I got on my birthday in 1965) was a
Silvertone, which used one.
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (02/03/89)

That weird battery may be one used for capactivie-discharge
flashbulb systems.  Check any decent photog camera store.

There was also a version of 9-volt that was shaped like a smaller C
cell, with snap connector on each end (like the usual 9 volt).
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Five hundred twelve K bytes of RAM ... out of control ... "

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (02/05/89)

Those batteries that were 1.6 to 2 times the size of "D"
cells were, I think, "G" size.
Back in the early days of tube type radios, several batteries
were needed, and to make it simple for Joe Public, they were
called by letters:
"A" battery for the filaments; low voltage, high current
"B" battery for the plate supply; high V, low I
"C" battery for the grid supply; medium V, very low I

I think you were confusing the "A" (filament) battery with the
"A" size (which I've never seen, maybe because all filament
supplies were called "A").

Regards, Isaac             isw@cup.portal.com

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (02/07/89)

In article <7288@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:
}
}		Electronics Trivia Question of the Day:
}
}	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?
}
}	Battery sizes are specified by ansi standards, we are all familar with
}AA, AAA, C, D, and N sizes... But what was the A size? And, were there ever
}standard 1.5 V B size? (You can get B size in 4.5 and other voltages today.)
}Does anyone know who developed the sizes? (Union Carbide?)

Is this a quiz, or a question?  Assuming the latter, here is the answer:

The letters A and B were originally used to refer to the filament and plate
supply batteries of a radio.  In order to avoid confusion with these letters
that referred to use rather than size, the letters A & B were omitted.

--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (02/07/89)

In article <6867@fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>In article <7288@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:
>}
>}		Electronics Trivia Question of the Day:
>}
>}	"What ever happened to the original "A" size battery?
>}
>}	Battery sizes are specified by ansi standards, we are all familar with
>}AA, AAA, C, D, and N sizes... But what was the A size? And, were there ever
>}standard 1.5 V B size? (You can get B size in 4.5 and other voltages today.)
>}Does anyone know who developed the sizes? (Union Carbide?)
>
>Is this a quiz, or a question?  Assuming the latter, here is the answer:
>
>The letters A and B were originally used to refer to the filament and plate
>supply batteries of a radio.  In order to avoid confusion with these letters
>that referred to use rather than size, the letters A & B were omitted.

Well, so far, everybody has failed the quiz. :-)  Many of us are aware of
the old A, B, & C *FUNCTION* batteries from DC operated tube radio sets.
But that terminology has no relationship with A, AA, B, C, D, ... *SIZE*
specs, as defined by ANSI standards. I have found a recent copy of the
ANSI specs, (in a UNION CARBIDE spec book) which lists the dimensions.
(Proof of difference- tube radio C batteries were much larger than current
"C" cells)   An ANSI "A" size, by extrapolation, should be a little
longer, and mayby a little fatter than an "AA" cell, The AA, (and AAA)
being the "patch" to the naming system when someone discovered that they
could actually make a _useful_ cell *smaller* than what they started out
with. I imagine it was hard to concieve of tiny cells which could actually
hold a charge and run something, back in the early days of battery technology
(100+ years ago). Keep diging, folks!
Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
Cornell Phonetics Lab   (plab!roger@cornell.uucp)
Ithaca  N.Y.            (bitnet: sggy@cornellC or garnett@crnlthry.bitnet)
(607) 255-0704		(sggy@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu)

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (02/09/89)

ANSI battery size designations (as of 1972) are:  O,N,AAA,R,AA,A,B,C,D,E,F,
G,No.6, in order of increasing volume.  O,R,A,B & E are used only a part of
batteries, and are no longer sold as individual cells.

No.6, of course is the famous industrial battery I used to play with as a kid.

--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (02/11/89)

In article <1405@arctic.nprdc.arpa> serafine@nprdc.arpa (Ron Serafine) writes:
|	If I remember correctly, back in the `50's, I had a "portable", tube-
|type Silvertone (Sears) brown-plastic AM radio which used two types of batter-
|ies, one of which was an "A". There were two used in each radio, along with a-
|another, which was large & flat-oval shaped.

Since it appears the 'net folks are reminiscing about their old radios and
the batteries they used:

I have (yes it still works!) a RCA Victor Model 9-BX-5 five-tube "portable"
AM Broadcast receiver. It says it uses a "RCA Type VS 050 or equivalent".
The battery holder looks like the battery was about the size of a quart
carton of milk. The antenna is an air core loop wound around the inside of
the case.

The radio is complete with a sticker that reads: "This is to Certify that
this instrument includes the matched elements required in the production
of (italics with gold lettering follows) "Golden Throat" tone."
with the signature: "D. D. Cole, Chief Engineer, Home Instrument Department,
RCA Victor"

(yes it sounds very nice) Anyone a radiophile out there who might now about
what year this product was manufactured?

Can anyone share some information on what a RCA Type VS 050 battery was?
????
--
.. and the mome raths outgrabe. ..