[sci.electronics] Need Info on Switching Supply Design

micl23@inuxm.UUCP (W E Miller) (01/27/89)

I have a friend who is interested in designing
a switching supply. He is interested in using
it/them to research and to use as a service jig.

Any book recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

--

  _  /|        William E. Miller AT&T Consumer Products Indpls, IN
  \'o.O'       These opinions are mine, and they're not for sale!!

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (01/29/89)

        TI has an excellent three volume Linear Interface Applications set.  I
remember one of them having a chapter on switching power supplies...

    Greg Bell_________________________________________________________
      Hardware hacker          |
      Electronics hobbyist     | UUCP:  uunet!serene!pnet12!gbell
      EE major at UC San Diego |

twheless@hpbsla.HP.COM (02/01/89)

  Linear Technology's "Linear Applications Handbook 1987" has a long
  app. note on switching power supply design. It's intended to be used
  with their LT1070 Switcher IC but most of the information is general
  in nature.

  Various sections in the app. note talk about:
	1. Basic Switching Regulator Topologies
	2. Frequency Compensation
	3. Driving External Transistors
	4. Selecting Output Diodes
  	5. Input Filters
	6. Efficiency Calculations
	7. Output Filters
	8. Selecting Input and Output Capacitors
	9. Inductor and Transformer Basics
	10. Heatsinking Information
	11. Troubleshooting Hints

  Most of the information is very useful and practical and I recommend it.

 	Tom Wheless
        Boise Division
     	Hewlett-Packard
	Boise, Idaho

In article <870@inuxm.UUCP> micl23@inuxm.UUCP (W E Miller) writes:
>I have a friend who is interested in designing
>a switching supply. He is interested in using
>it/them to research and to use as a service jig.

He's aware, I hope, that switching supplies generally regulate poorly at
low loads, so they are not good choices for research and service work
where power demands vary a lot.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jeffw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (02/10/89)

In article <1989Feb8.225741.27473@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <870@inuxm.UUCP> micl23@inuxm.UUCP (W E Miller) writes:
>>I have a friend who is interested in designing
>>a switching supply. He is interested in using
>>it/them to research and to use as a service jig.
>
>He's aware, I hope, that switching supplies generally regulate poorly at
>low loads, so they are not good choices for research and service work
>where power demands vary a lot.

I suppose this is true for most off-the-shelf cost-pared-to-the-bone
supplies. But...

There's about 50 zillion ways of designing a switching supply. Some
topologies do have this problem, others don't. Since this person
is interested in designing one rather than buying one off the shelf,
he can make sure it doesn't have the problem. If nothing else, he can
post-regulate with linear regulators or always have a minimum load
connected.

					Jeff Winslow

jim@mnetor.UUCP (Jim Stewart) (02/14/89)

In article <1989Feb8.225741.27473@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>He's aware, I hope, that switching supplies generally regulate poorly at
>low loads, so they are not good choices for research and service work
>where power demands vary a lot.

The typical solution is to have either a passive or active load
to draw the minimum required current.

--
Jim Stewart, VE3SRJ
UUCP:  {utzoo,uunet}!mnetor!jim