[sci.electronics] X-10 bridging across 220V

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (02/14/89)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/13/89 19:56:56
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: X-10 bridging across 220V
 To: sci-electronics@ucbvax

 To assist in bridging across 220 v: run a 600V .1 microfarad capacitor (not
 electrolytic) right across the 220! X10 signals do sometimes go from one
 "side" of your house 220 to the other, i.e. go between the two 110v
 subcircuits, but this capacitor helps do a better job. It's still not perfect.
 Like, my experiences seem to be, most signals go ok within the same "side", a
 few do not. There are more failures between the two sides; the capacitor
 reduces these failures but does not eliminate them. By the way, I have some
 knob-and-tube wiring, which seems to be less effective for transferring X-10
 signals.

 The capacitors are hard to find. I got mine at electronics etc. in Berkeley
 CA, 415/845-0169. Costs: 0.25 for large style, 0.40 for smaller style.

 The hard part is making the connection safely and attractively. To do that you
 really need to get a 220v outlet installed, then make the capacitor a
 completely covered plug-in device. Remember that if you diddle with your 220,
 you can get really hurt.

 Leviton supplies some sort of already-packaged bridging device, which could be
 worthwhile for the mechanical aspects of it all. Or if you have an unused 220v
 outlet somewhere, that would be nice.

 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 (                      ...!ucbvax!cmsa!spgdcm                )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
   (  X-10 bridging across 220V