[sci.electronics] capacitor types

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (02/14/89)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/13/89 20:09:11
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: capacitor types

 To: sci-electronics@ucbvax

 When I was purchasing capacitors to help my X-10 signal (600V .1 mfd) I ran
 into many styles. They were all non-electrolytic, but ranged from almost a
 C-battery size down to the size of a fingernail (or Chiclets gum for those who
 remember this). The smaller ones tended to cost more.

 Is this just size, or are there meaningful differences between the myriad
 capacitor types? How does one choose? Would one type be best for bridging 220V
 to get a power-line-modulation signal across?

 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 (                      ...!ucbvax!cmsa!spgdcm                )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
   l  capacitor types