[sci.electronics] X-10 modules modification

sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) (02/09/89)

Would anyone have schematics of the X-10 power controllers (the ones available
from Radio Shack, Sears, etc) ? I'd like to get them to work on 220-240v.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Sanjay

   Sanjay A. Bulchandani    INTERNET:	sbulchan%oracle.com@apple.com
                            UUCP    :	apple!oracle!sbulchan

rlf@mtgzy.att.com (r.l.fletcher) (02/10/89)

In article <593@oracle.UUCP>, sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) writes:
> Would anyone have schematics of the X-10 power controllers (the ones available
> from Radio Shack, Sears, etc) ? I'd like to get them to work on 220-240v.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sanjay

>    Sanjay A. Bulchandani    INTERNET:	sbulchan%oracle.com@apple.com
>                             UUCP    :	apple!oracle!sbulchan

The CONTROLLERS just need 120VAC to operate which can be obtained
from either side of the 220VAC line. I am told that some people experience
difficulty in controlling modules that are on the other side of the 220
circuit (modules not on same side as controller).
Someone posted a note awhile back on how to bridge the signals
across from one side to the other, but I cant seem to find it now.

The MODULES are sold in a 220VAC variety but not by Sears
or RS. Heathkit, Fordham Radio and Leviton all offer 220VAC modules.
They are around $30 and control up to 20 amps. Leviton (electrical suppliers)
have a large menu of "specialty items" for use with the BSR X10 system
but they are high priced.
If you need addresses for the above, email me and I will send them.

As far as schematics go, you can probably get them from RS if you
order their Service Manuals for each of the devices you are
interested in.

					Ron Fletcher
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					Middletown NJ
					att!mtuxo!mtgzy!rlf

gnd@tetons.UUCP (Greg Darnell) (02/11/89)

In article <593@oracle.UUCP> sbulchan@oracle.com (Sanjay Bulchandani) writes:
>Would anyone have schematics of the X-10 power controllers (the ones available
>from Radio Shack, Sears, etc) ? I'd like to get them to work on 220-240v.

Assuming you want MODULES that run on 220V, there are 2 versions listed
in the back of one of my mini-controller books: (quoted without
permission)
"Heavy Duty 220V 15A Appliance Module HD243
  Used to control a 220V air conditioner or water heater etc.  Rated at
  15A Unrestricted, i.e. it can control anything which can be plugged
  into a regular 220V 15A outlet.  Works on 110/220V (120/240V) split
  phase systems only.  Will not work on 3 phase systems.
Heavy Duty 220V 20A Appliance Module HD245
  Same features as the HD243 but can be used for any appliance which
  normally plugs into a 220V 15A or 20A outlet.  Works on 110/220V
  (120/240V) split phase systems only.  Will not work on 3 phase
  systems."

The following information was extracted from the file
PD2:<MISC.X-10>ARTICLES.X10 on SIMTEL20 written by Dennis Griesser with
followup notes by Pete Fales.  There is quite a bit more but I only
quote the article which includes circuit diagrams.
-------
o "Plug-in Remote Control System"
  by Steve Ciarcia
  Radio Electronics, September 1980, page 47
  Notes:  Better details on the inside of the X-10 system, including schematics
	of the base station, lamp module, and appliance module.  No buildable
	project, just lotsa nice info.
-------
Now I have 2 questions of my own:
 1) Could somebody (re)post methods of bridging the X-10 controller
    signals from one phase of house wiring to the other?
 2) Does anyone have a GE HomeMinder box they want to sell?  I just
    found one for my father but would like one for myself as well.
    If you have one to get rid of please email me.

Greg
 Greg Darnell    Amdahl Corporation    143 N. 2 E., Rexburg, Idaho 83440
  UUCP:{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!tetons!gnd          (208) 356-8915
  INTERNET: gnd@tetons.idaho.amdahl.com
--

piety@hplabsb.HP.COM (Bob Piety) (02/15/89)

> Would anyone have schematics of the X-10 power controllers (the ones
> available from Radio Shack, Sears, etc) ? I'd like to get them to work on
> 220-240v.

BSR Corp, makers of the X10, already manufacture 220/240V modules.  I've seen
them advertized in various catalogs.

Bob