[sci.electronics] Unidentified noise from my car stereo.

wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) (02/09/89)

One of my trusty vehicles, a 1982 Nissan Stanza has a strange noise
coming through the speakers.  It's a hum- sounds like a couple of
hundred hertz, with the following symptoms;

The pitch and loudness never vary (i.e. with engine RPMs).
It only occurs when the lights (parking lights, low beams, or
high beams) are turned on.
It happens with both tape and FM.

Any experiences out there with this type of noise?

Thanks in advance.....SW   >B-}

****SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW**SW****
**  Bring that beer over here,   ** Nick  **  Looking under the hood... **
**  'cause I need it to steer.   ** Mason **       never did any good.  **

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (02/10/89)

In article <Feb.9.10.32.35.1989.24408@caip.rutgers.edu> wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) writes:
>One of my trusty vehicles, a 1982 Nissan Stanza has a strange noise
>coming through the speakers.  It's a hum- sounds like a couple of
>hundred hertz, with the following symptoms;
>The pitch and loudness never vary (i.e. with engine RPMs).
>It only occurs when the lights (parking lights, low beams, or
>high beams) are turned on.

Try varying the brightness of the dash lights and see if the noise varies.
My Honda gererates noise from the dash light dimmer if it is set at
anything but full brightness.  I'm now used to having the panel lights
set on full brightness.

Bruce Carlson

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (02/10/89)

In article <Feb.9.10.32.35.1989.24408@caip.rutgers.edu> wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) writes:

|One of my trusty vehicles, a 1982 Nissan Stanza has a strange noise
|coming through the speakers.  It's a hum- sounds like a couple of
|hundred hertz, with the following symptoms;
|
|The pitch and loudness never vary (i.e. with engine RPMs).
|It only occurs when the lights (parking lights, low beams, or
|high beams) are turned on.
|It happens with both tape and FM.

  I have been successful in fixing both alternator noise (which varies with
RPM) and your type of noise by checking and tightening or adding the ground
connections on the system.  Strange how a little simple fix like that can
work....

Randy

wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) (02/14/89)

Thanks to netters who responded to my plight with the nasty hum
from my car stereo.  As suggested by several respondents, the
problem originated from the dimmer control for the dashboard
lights.  In six years, I had only touched the thing once, and
the radio was not on at the time.  I never would have noticed
it.  I'm sorry I couldn't respond to all who e-mailed suggestions
to me.  Some of my replies bounced.

Thanks again              SW

SW** I LOVE mankind-it's PEOPLE I can't stand!  Linus Van Pelt  **SW

NU128880@NDSUVM1.BITNET (02/15/89)

   As far as the problem occurred, I agree that messing with the ground
wires in eliminating the noise.  Either ground all the components in the
system at the same point, or ground them in a series (i.e., ground the
equalizer to the stereo, and then ground the stereo to some good ground
point.)  Make sure you aren't grounding to a painted surface.  When you
flip your headlights on, they are grounding out, and you are setting up
a possible ground loop, which can reck major havok on the noise in your
system.  Try grounding the stereo on the chassis, or if possible directly
to the negative post of your battery.  Also, the use of a capacitor across
the positive and negative leads (make sure the capacitor is of 50 volts
or more).  Noise in car stereo is an incredible pain, and nothing short
of trial and error will eliminate it.

Steve Frank           -nu128880@ndsuvm1

"Sorry man, 10% THD just isn't going to cut it"