[sci.electronics] The reality of Copyrights

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (02/10/89)

In article <1391@mtunb.ATT.COM> dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>Let me encourage anyone who's following this discussion to read John's
>thoughtful note in news.admin (NOT net.admin), message <3025@stiatl.UUCP>.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sorry about that :-)

>I continue to feel the analogy between the net and the public library
>is a good one.
>
>|    Dave Tutelman						|

Dave,

No flame war here.  I think this discussion will do some good in the end.
I sit tight on most issues on the net but sometimes I just can't resist
the urge to jump in and add a reality check to a discussion.

So I alter slightly an earlier statement - "Anything posted to Usenet
becomes defacto public domain" <---- my term, not a legal definition.
And anybody who thinks a copyright attached to a Usenet posting confers
any *REAL* protection is simply fooling themselves.

The fact of the matter is that with a few exceptions, whoever has the most
money wins in court.  AT&T could release something to the public domain and
STILL cream you for copying it just because they can feed and cultivate
a den of lawyers longer than you can.  If anyone likes to gamble against
odds only slightly better than the state Lotto, then take a shot at
copyright enforcement.  Otherwise forget it.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, My real concern is the effect
the Copyright Wars are having on the network.  I personally consider the
net to be my most valuable professional resource, placing right next to
my editor and compiler.  To jepardize it's existence with neglegent threats
of firing volleys of lawyers is unexcusable.  Brad knows better than this
and so do the rest of these chest-thumpers.

Well, we've beaten this dead dog enough.  I'm stopping with this posting.
I hope that no permanent damage has been done.  So ... back to the
pursuit of life, liberty and net.access forever.

john

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/11/89)

In article <3042@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
>And anybody who thinks a copyright attached to a Usenet posting confers
>any *REAL* protection is simply fooling themselves.
>
>The fact of the matter is that with a few exceptions, whoever has the most
>money wins in court.

But please note that posting to Usenet has little to do with it.  Any
form of publication makes it a challenge to defend your copyright if
you don't have money for a legal battle.

You must instead rely on publicity to defend you.  No big company wants
to get the reputation of ripping off the small guy.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (02/16/89)

(No big company wants to get the reputation of ripping off the small guy ...)
     Is  Apple the exception which proves that rule ?????   :-)

    (sorry ..... I couldn't resist .....)